Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss C-17??? in the Equipment forums; I was flipping through the Conn Loyalist website and came across these interesting METAL descriptions: "French brass" ... (the 2B ...

C-17???

I was flipping through the Conn Loyalist website and came across these interesting METAL descriptions:

"French brass" ... (the 2B symphony)

"Coprion bell .... not to be confused with ordinary copper or red brass bells" ... (12B)

And my favorite, "Specially processed metal called C-17."

And when I was looking for information on a '37 King Liberty I recently sold, H.N.White's website made the metal used in this trumpet sound like a state secret. "Specially formulated family recipe ..." or something like that.

My question is, do modern trumpet makers know exactly what went into these metals? Are some of them "secret formulas" like the unknown ingredients of Coke, for example. (only one of the reasons I don't drink it.)

Turtle
    Last edited by turtlejimmy; 11-13-2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: spelling ....
    Trumpets are for extroverts - Lee Morgan

www.soundcloud.com/turtlejimmy

Re: C-17???

I think it's like the old Calgon commercial. " Ancient Chinese secret"! Most brass has varying degrees of zinc or other alloys in it give the horn a different sound. To the acoustically astute, they can hear the difference, most cannot, even other musicians. It's mostly, IMO, marketing to sell horns. Conn says you CAN'T crack a note with a Coprion bell. Well, I've proven them wrong !! BTW C-17 sounds like an "explosive". Maybe it does that to your tone!
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Yeah, I saw that too ....

Mr. Conn, with his vivid descriptions, had a way of making every horn sound like their very finest one ever.

Turtle

Lightbulb Re: C-17???

If you are ever lucky enough to hold an 8B Symphony Grand in your hands flick the bell rim with your finger. Mine rings with higher pitch and greater duration than any of my other thirty or so Connies. This is the C-17 bell. I went on a C-17 quest for knowledge some years ago. The foundaries I emailed had never heard of it and my Internet search brought up pages and pages about the C 17 transport plane used by the US Air Force and not much else.

My pet theory . . . the bells were Cryogenically frozen for 17 minutes (hours, days?). Given CONN's research lab it may be something they were up to in the 1930's. (Just CONNjecture; nothing CONNcrete.)

Bochawa!!! That's great .... good quest! Conn is a confusing labrynth. There are SO MANY DIFFERENT Conn models that I can tell you, since I own an 8B that I should know what that sounds like.

But no! My 8B is the "Lightweight 8B Artist." Not the same horn. Same number, different horn.

Turtle

Talking Re: C-17???

That's quite a theory you've CONNcockted , but I have nothing CONNtrary to CONNtradict it.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Thread Information