Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Can you help me identify and value some vintage trumpets? PART 2 Holton, Conn, Yamaha in the Equipment forums; Thank you so much for the help with the previous thread! Hopefully you guys can help out with a few ...
    New Friend

Can you help me identify and value some vintage trumpets? PART 2 Holton, Conn, Yamaha

Thank you so much for the help with the previous thread! Hopefully you guys can help out with a few more as well. I'll most likely have a Part 3 coming soon!

Same thing as with the others...any help with model confirmation, dating them, and valuing them is a tremendous help to me, and the widow.

First up! I believe this to be a Holton Alto Trumpet, Model 56, serial number 343xxx. 1 stuck slide (biggest one), remaining are clean and good, valves are clean and smooth, corks look suspect. Some light pitting on this one, no dings or dents. Help with year and value?

Up next is a Conn Connstellation. Serial number is 391xxx, early 50's I believe? This has a trigger on the first valve, would this have been stock or a mod? All slides are clean and moving freely, valves will need oil but clean. Corks look ok. My thought was $799 on this?

Last one for this round is a Yamaha YTR-636, serial number 011xxx. All slides and valves are good, only 1 sluggish slide. Some light pitting on this one as well, no dings or dents. I had a hard time dating and valuing this one as well.

True Tone likes this.

Re: Can you help me identify and value some vintage trumpets? PART 2 Holton, Conn, Ya

The Conn should sell for more than $799. The trigger is stock on Connies. It looks to be a 28B. The alto is another of those oddball horns (I have an alto FLUGEL!!). It's cool, but you have to find the right buyer. The Yamaha could be interesting because of the affiliation with Schilke and Conn. I don't remember what it was modeled after (B5???) but some of those are good horns if they are clean. I don't know if this is a model that could have Yamalloy valves. It could have just been Schilke horns affected but the annealing process was flawed. It was fixable with the results being very satisfactory.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Mezzo Piano User Pascalouisiana's Avatar

Re: Can you help me identify and value some vintage trumpets? PART 2 Holton, Conn, Ya

Quote Originally Posted by tobylou8 View Post
    The Conn should sell for more than $799. The trigger is stock on Connies. It looks to be a 28B. The alto is another of those oddball horns (I have an alto FLUGEL!!). It's cool, but you have to find the right buyer. The Yamaha could be interesting because of the affiliation with Schilke and Conn. I don't remember what it was modeled after (B5???) but some of those are good horns if they are clean. I don't know if this is a model that could have Yamalloy valves. It could have just been Schilke horns affected but the annealing process was flawed. It was fixable with the results being very satisfactory.
    Aren't alto flugels called solo altohorns?

The Holton look like it might be a fun small jazz combo horn - but probably a bear to play in tune. I'd give a few hundred for it.
    BrassBandMajor likes this.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascalouisiana View Post
    Aren't alto flugels called solo altohorns?
    Maybe, probably, I don't really know. I'm thinking our European brethren would know more. It has Eb and F tuning slides. Has a large small letter "e" on the bell. I have been told it's Couesnon.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

The Conn is a 1950 and looks great. I think it will do well at auction.

The Holton 56 is a 1961. It is the rarest of the rare, but the challenge will be finding anyone who wants it. You may want to consider a month long listing on that to try and find the right buyer.

The Yamaha, if it is a 636, would be a Schilke design based largely on his medium (.450") bore B7 but with some tweaks including bell alloy and tuning slide geometry. These are good, schilke-esque players and usually command an EBay price in the $500 to $1000 range.(a bargain if you like this style of horn). These were made between 1977 and 1982.

{I edited this to correct a significant typo: I had typed "B6". This is a Schilke B7 design - Schilke #1 / Yamaha "A" bell (actually considered the Large bore bell) with "M" bore. The B6 used a Schilke #2 / Yamaha "B" bell (considered the "ML" bore bell) with "M" .450" bore}
    Last edited by OldSchoolEuph; 01-11-2017 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Fix Schilke model
    Trumpet: 1961 Mt. Vernon Bach 43, 2000 Xeno 8335RGS, 1927 Conn 22B NYS
    Euphonium: 1965 Besson baritone, 1975 Yamaha YEP-321, 1985 YEP-621
    Trombone: 1975 Olds Recording R-20
    MP: Schilke 17d4d & 53

www.trumpet-history.com

I was a bit thrown by the color of the Yamaha, but on checking, I see it is listed as a gold tinted lacquer finish - which explains the appearance.
    Trumpet: 1961 Mt. Vernon Bach 43, 2000 Xeno 8335RGS, 1927 Conn 22B NYS
    Euphonium: 1965 Besson baritone, 1975 Yamaha YEP-321, 1985 YEP-621
    Trombone: 1975 Olds Recording R-20
    MP: Schilke 17d4d & 53

www.trumpet-history.com

I would buy the Holton 56 if I had the money. Its an Eb Alto Cornet or trumpet?
    I know someone on TM has an Holton Alto and a Superbone.
    This guy has some nice horns......
    Attention:
    Constant N+1 & N-1 in progress!

Vincent Bach Mt. Vernon Mercedes Trumpet
    B&S Challenger I 3137
    Couesnon 'Triebert Moderne' Monopole Piccolo
    Hermann Ganter G7aN
    Arno Windisch 'Silber-Deluxe'
    1959 Conn 28A 'Connstellation'

This message was created using 100% recycled electrons.

Fortissimo User ConnDirectorFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tobylou8 View Post
    Maybe, probably, I don't really know. I'm thinking our European brethren would know more. It has Eb and F tuning slides. Has a large small letter "e" on the bell. I have been told it's Couesnon.
    There were Elkhart-brand instruments made by Couesnon using that same logo; this was ca. 1960s after EBICo was folded into Buescher entirely, though the case covers used a variation of the Elk with Heart logo.
    True Tone likes this.
    "The Musica man is a Conn man"
    Blue felts
    Conn barrel-spring pistons

2005 Yamaha 6310Z trumpet
    2008 Conn-Selmer King 1117SP trumpet
    1972 Conn 6B Victor trumpet
    1972 Conn 24A flügelhorn (Swiss Kurath/Willson stencil)
    1966 Conn 5A Victor cornet
    1962 Conn 9A Victor cornet
    1970s Musica Steyr–Austria cornet (Czech Amati B-1038/Bohland-Fuchs 2551 stencil)
    and others

Thanks to Reedman1 for profile image help

Fortissimo User ConnDirectorFan's Avatar

What is the mouthpiece included with the Yamaha? The rim looks flat and the cup med-shallow but it could be the photo
    "The Musica man is a Conn man"
    Blue felts
    Conn barrel-spring pistons

2005 Yamaha 6310Z trumpet
    2008 Conn-Selmer King 1117SP trumpet
    1972 Conn 6B Victor trumpet
    1972 Conn 24A flügelhorn (Swiss Kurath/Willson stencil)
    1966 Conn 5A Victor cornet
    1962 Conn 9A Victor cornet
    1970s Musica Steyr–Austria cornet (Czech Amati B-1038/Bohland-Fuchs 2551 stencil)
    and others

Thanks to Reedman1 for profile image help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information