Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Conn NY Symphony Special? in the Equipment forums; Just received what looks like a Conn NY Symphony Special that I bought on eBay. The N.Y. Symp. Special stamp ...
    Pianissimo User

Conn NY Symphony Special?

Just received what looks like a Conn NY Symphony Special that I bought on eBay. The N.Y. Symp. Special stamp is missing from the receiver, so maybe it's not a NY Symphony Special, or maybe the receiver was replaced at some point. The valves are pristine, compression excellent, and intonation is more solid through the middle and upper ranges than any of the other vintage 22Bs I've played. I paid about half what the NY Symphony Specials usually go for on eBay, so whatever it is I'm happy.

The engraving, which runs the length of the bell, is as intricate as any I've seen on a Conn. The lacquer is about 60% but there's some corrosion/pitting, so I'll probably strip the lacquer and do some buffing (by hand around the engraving--should keep me occupied for the next 6 months!)

Anyway, I thought the engraving was worth posting. If anybody else has seen a Conn that looks like this that isn't a NY Symphony Special I'd love to hear about it. The serial on this one is 3018xx. No model number stamped on the receiver (I'm thinking it probably was a replacement receiver).

Mezzo Piano User Brass crusader's Avatar

Re: Conn NY Symphony Special?

Mine also has no stamping on the reciever, and I have seen the ones with the stamping. I own the exact same horn, I paid $80 for it at an estate sale. I re-aligned the valves, put a nice little patch-up on the leadpipe, and wham! Great horn.
    Last edited by Brass crusader; 10-28-2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: extra info
    OAS AAS LLS
    AFM Local 400

Pianissimo User

Where are all these estate sales with the great vintage trumpets??? I went to one once where there was supposed to be "an old trumpet." I asked the guy at the door where it was and he points to a trombone. I walked away muttering in disgust and it was a minute or so before the rimless bell hit me and I took another look. It was a Conn 44H Vocabell from the mid 30s with a perfect Pan engraving. I bought it for $91 bucks and traded it for for a Bach Strad cornet and a couple of lesser horns. That's the closest I've ever come to finding a pawn shop/estate sale/yard sale treasure.

It looks like a Special to my untrained eye. Neat horn!
    Olde Towne Brass
    www.otbrass.com

Brass Band of Huntsville
    www.brassbandofhuntsville.com

Bach ML 43 Bb Trumpet
    Bach L 184G Bb Short Cornet
    Bach ML 239 C Trumpet
    Besson Chicago Bore Bb Cornet
    Besson Nouveau Etoile C/Bb/A Cornet
    Conn 5A Bb Short Cornet
    Conn 6B Bb Trumpet
    Conn 9A Bb Short Cornet
    Conn 22B Bb Trumpet
    Conn 22B Bb/A Trumpet
    Conn 76A Bb Short Cornet
    Kanstul Bb Field Trumpet
    Lehnert SARV Bb Cornet
    Olds A11E Eb/D Trumpet
    Olds L12 Bb Flugelhorn

Well it certainly looks like a special, any idea what year it is? I have a 22b NY symphony standard and the engraving doesn't run the full length of the bell....
    Evan Davis
    1962 Leblanc Paris
    '58 Olds Recording

Pianissimo User

Mine also has no stamping on the reciever,

..and thanks for letting me know about the receiver with no stamp. According to the Conn Loyalist, Conn started making them in 1934. Mine is from 1935. Wonder if they left the stamp off the early ones. Can you tell me the year or serial number on yours? Was yours from the early mid 30s?

Mezzo Piano User Brass crusader's Avatar

Mine is from 1935 as well. I couldn't tell you the serial number offhand, it's currently in Buffalo, NY, and I'm in Hartford, CT for the time being. I am positive that it is a '35, though
    OAS AAS LLS
    AFM Local 400

Pianissimo User

Nice horn! Mine is also from 1935. Here it is with its baby brother, a Victor special from 1937:

Dave Brewer

Pianissimo User

Wow, that 38A Victor Special is awesome. First time I've seen one. I didn't realize there was a cornet brother to the NY Symphony Special. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by tbaldrid View Post
    Wow, that 38A Victor Special is awesome. First time I've seen one. I didn't realize there was a cornet brother to the NY Symphony Special. Thanks for posting the pictures.
    You're welcome! I think the engraving on your NY Symphony Special is sharper than on mine. Mine looks like it was relacquered at some point. Also, I don't have the New York Symphony Special engraved on my receiver either, although it's on my 38A receiver.

Dave Brewer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information