Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Conn Pan American Trumpet? in the Equipment forums; I'm thinking of buying a used one from the 1930s. It looks nice but needs work. Anybody know if these ...
    New Friend

Conn Pan American Trumpet?

I'm thinking of buying a used one from the 1930s. It looks nice but needs work. Anybody know if these were decent horns in their day? And were they silver or silver-plated?

Thanks.

Re: Conn Pan American Trumpet?

Pan American was a subsidiary of Conn. Most of the horns were similar to Conn designs, so they would be considered good horns. However, I don't know that they are especially collectable, so you may not want to plow any money into a restoration project. You can read about Pan American on the Conn Loyalist site:

The Conn Loyalist
    Glen

1953 Mt. Vernon Strad 37 Cornet
    1966 Burbank Benge Eb/D
    1975 LA Benge 3x+
    1976 Strad 37*
    1978 LA Benge C
    1980 LA Benge 3x

Most Pan Americans were student-line instruments and as such are considered a less valuable, less desirable sub-brand of Conn. But, I find some of the Pan Am brassswinds to be visually quite pleasing with elegant bracing details and nice engraving. I've bid, unsuccessfully, on more than one nice Pan Am cornet on eBay. If the horn appeals to you and is priced right relative to the work needed, why not take a chance? Almost certainly a Pan Am is going to be silverplate, rather than solid silver.

Pan American didn't market just student-line instruments. For example, when the metal clarinet began to decline in popularity, the semi-pro and pro-line Conn metal clarinets were discontiued as Conns and reintroduced as Pan American models. My wonderful 884N Pan American clarinet is an example of this; pro-line all the way, yet dismissed as "just a cheap old Pan American" by those who don't know the whole story.

I wonder if any high-end Conn brasswinds similarly ended up being phased out as Conns and reintroduced as Pan Americans...
    Ursa's collection...
    TRUMPETS: Holton Type II Super Collegiate, King Silver Flair (pre-UMI)
    CORNETS: Olds Ambassador; Blessing XL-CR; Holton Collegiate
    LOW BRASS: Conn 6E New Wonder Eb Alto Horn; Conn 4D Artist F/Eb "French" Horn; Yamaha YEP-321S Euphonium; Indiana Band Instrument Co. EEb Sousaphone; Holton 6/4 EEb Tuba

Piano User

Pan American did make higher quality trumpets similar to your clarinet. I have seen a few, they were called Super Pan Americans and usually were silver plated with a higher level of engraving, double ferruled slides and the better valves. Definately not student level horns and they were priced higher than the student Pan Ams were. I have seen a couple on eBay recently and I think one was on the GoodWill site. If I recall correctly, they sold on eBay for $200-400 in decent shape. Probably worth it but for that why not just go with a Conn for the same price?
    Rob,
    King Liberty SilverTone (3)
    King Liberty (7) Super 20 (2)
    Conn Vocabell 40A - 40B - 80A (6) - 81A (1) - 38A Victor (2) - 22B - 16B, 12B Coprion bell
    Getzen Tone Balanced Super Deluxe
    Holton French LeBlanc (1) - Al Hirt 550
    Olds Studio (1) - Special (1)
    Besson 10-10

KLM
    New Friend

I have a Pan American trumpet that I would like to get appraised to sell. It is silverplated. I used to play it as a chld, but haven't played it since. It is in excellent condition. The original mouthpiece is a little beat up but still works. I also have another mouthpiece for it that is also older but in better shape. I have the original case that shows a little bit of wear and tear just on the corners. Can someone tell me how to get it appraised and where. I am in Eastern PA. Thank You in advance Karen.

Welcome to the forum! pan american trumpet items - Get great deals on Brass, american trumpet items on eBay.com!

Here is a representative list of Pan American's that have sold, in green, or not, in red on ebay. You can see that the highest value for one that sold was just over $100. The ones listed for high Buy it Now prices didn't sell.
    Realistically, they are not that valuable in a monetary sense, anyway.
    You could list it on ebay also for a low starting price, put on good photos with a good description and provenance of your connection with it and you never know what might happen. Hopes this helps.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    ???? Elkhart Band Instrument Cornet (ELK)
    www.KalamazooconcertBand.org
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    www.PSCB.Soull.com
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

I've bought and played a few Pan Americans because they are cheap in price. I had a 1927 PA that sounded very professional....I sold it for $125. I just sold another on Ebay a few months ago ( 1950 I believe that was no match for the 1927...I sold it for $55 ). I would play it first...duh. But if it's an auction...I would take a chance on mid 20's through 30's Pan Americans. I play The Martin Committee myself.

My 1928 Pan-American 34B

Last edited by Bochawa!!!; 04-03-2011 at 05:01 PM.

Wow, that is a gorgeous trumpet!

I originally bought it for parts, but when I got a closer look at it I realized it was in too good a shape to tear apart. With 32 CONNs in an 8' x 8' room I just didn't have room for it. It had to go. I kept it for a year and once used it on a gig for a solo feature. It plays really nicely with a unique tone thanks to its .425 bore. It's still posted on the Conn Loyalist as mine,

The Conn Loyalist

but it now belongs to a guy in Vancouver.

Thread Information