Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Conn Victor ? in the Equipment forums; I am connfused by the designation "Victor" on several Conn model horns. I have a few Conn horns marked with ...

Conn Victor ?

I am connfused by the designation "Victor" on several Conn model horns. I have a few Conn horns marked with the "Victor" title,one is a 1921 Victor New Wonder,engraved in the bell. It is top sprung. I have seen several New Wonder cornets without the "Victor' on the horn,what would the difference be bewteen the ones with it and the ones without.
    I also have a pair of Victors 6A and 6B they are 1956 models,they are marked on the mouthpiece reciever with Victor A or B. They are bottom sprung. And I have heard of even newer ones.
    Is there something that all the models designated as a Victor have in common?
    Then there is the 80A cornet often refered to as a Victor but I have yet to see one with the name Victor on it. What makes it a Victor.
    Tom Hodges
    1921 Conn Victor New Wonder
    1923 Conn 22B New York Symphony
    1941 Conn 36A Concert Grand
    1946 Conn 80A
    1949 Conn 2B New World Symphony
    1958 Conn 18A Director coprion
    1966 Conn 28A Connstellation

Re: Conn Victor ?

I'd guess the various Victor models were named after Conn's early partner, Eugene Victor Baptiste Dupont. All early model Conns were "professional" models, and differed in design and features by model. The Victor name was applied to some of these. When student and intermediate model trumpets and cornets became popular, the Victor model was at or near the top of the line, sharing many features of the Connstellation (trumpet) later on. I can't really answer your specific questions, though. I own two Victors, a 1960 6B and a 1962 5A...fine instruments.

Olde Towne Brass
    www.otbrass.com

Brass Band of Huntsville
    www.brassbandofhuntsville.com

When everyone else has finished playing a piece, you should not play any notes you have left...

I envy your 6B. I had one when I was young and traded it in on a used Strad that was later stolen from my car. I'm prowling, looking for one. It was a sweet playing horn.
    Ed Fitzgerald
    1954 Olds Super w/Bach 43 bell Frankenhorn
    1968 Olds Recording Trumpet
    Courtois Balanced Model LB Trumpet (Unknown Year)
    Courtois C Trumpet
    1955 King Liberty Balanced Model Trumpet
    1956 Conn 80A Cornet
    1951 Olds Special cornet
    Rudy Muck "Blessing Super Artist clone" cornet
    NOT ONE coronet in the bunch
    Getzen Eterna 4 valve flugel
    Amati Kraslice 201H Flugel

“Hindsight is always 20/20”
    "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it."

Just in case you haven't been here, try The Conn Loyalist at The Conn Loyalist as it has LOTS and LOTS of information, I don't remember if it addresses the Victor question per se, but there is a ton of info there.
    Ed Fitzgerald
    1954 Olds Super w/Bach 43 bell Frankenhorn
    1968 Olds Recording Trumpet
    Courtois Balanced Model LB Trumpet (Unknown Year)
    Courtois C Trumpet
    1955 King Liberty Balanced Model Trumpet
    1956 Conn 80A Cornet
    1951 Olds Special cornet
    Rudy Muck "Blessing Super Artist clone" cornet
    NOT ONE coronet in the bunch
    Getzen Eterna 4 valve flugel
    Amati Kraslice 201H Flugel

“Hindsight is always 20/20”
    "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it."

The Victor models came in a wide variety of bore sizes. The earliest ones were top sprung and the later ones were bottom sprung. There were trumpet and cornet models. Some with coprion bells or leadpipes or both. There were Conn horns such as the 22B and 2B that had no models with the Victor name on them. I have spent a great deal of time on The Conn Loyalist site but I have not read anything about this. The 80A being called the Victor is really what got my curiosity going. Since it is one model that does not have the Victor name on it. The earlier similar looking model "The Victor New Wonder" was a small bore top sprung horn while the 80A is large bore bottom sprung and only visually resembles the earlier horn.
    Tom Hodges
    1946 Conn 80A

You should send Christine an e-mail. I've asked her several questions in the past and she is more than willing to help. What I know is that prior to 1955ish, all Victors were pro level horns. Conn's student line was called Pan American. When the Pan American name was dropped, enter the Director series (student level horns). This is when it gets murky because Conn had so many models trying to be all things to all players, the Victor name was supplanted by the Connstellation. It (Victor) was still a pro level horn, but I'm guessing with the intro of the Connstellation series, the Victor was yesterdays news even though it was just as good as it had been in the past. I have two 80As. One from 1942 and the other 1954 and they are both excellent players. Hope this helps.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

plp
    Pianissimo User

To the best of my knowledge, the Victor has always been pro caliber. Different than whatever was top of the line flagship model at the time, but professional quality and design all the way.

I have two 1967 80-A Victors, as well as several going back as far as 1919, and the quality of build and tonal palette is right up there with the Connstellations.

FYI the 6A I bought is top sprung.
    Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

The 6A and 6B early models were bottom sprung (I have both models) after 1957 they changed them to be much more like the Connstellation,top sprung, plus they went to a coprion leadpipe instead of brass. One of the advatages of the early model 6A was the mouthpiece reciever would accept a short or long shank mouthpiece. The early short shank mouthpieces were most commonly a large deep or V bowl allowing for a very dark smoky sound. You can find these large bowls in the long shank but they are not as common and quite often are fairly expensive. I think all the Conn cornets from around 55-57 would accept both that was the transition period from short to long shank. During that period the new cornet may have been delivered with either one.
    Tom Hodges
    1946 Conn 80A

Piano User

My late 50's 80A has Victor on the mouth peice lead pipe.
    -Bobby

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information