Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Couesnon Flugelhorn Serials? in the Equipment forums; Anyone know where I can find a decent listing to date Couesnon Flugel's? I just got one from my teacher ...
    New Friend

Couesnon Flugelhorn Serials?

Anyone know where I can find a decent listing to date Couesnon Flugel's? I just got one from my teacher just today and would like to know a little more about its history. Thanks for whatever info you can lend.
    -efwd

There is no known record of the serial numbers of the old Couesnons (pronounced "que-non," in case you don't know). Their records were destroyed by fire in 1969, and the horns have switched hands so much, no one really knows anything about the Couesnon dating. In fact, all the writtings and engravings on the bell, and the numbers really don't have a pattern (wonder who was the dumbass who thought that up? "Hey, lets just confuse the hell out of our descendants by putting numbers in strange places! That'll show those flying-car riding bastards!" ).

The older (1890-1930, I'm guessing) horns (and by that I mean trumpets, not knowledgeable on the flugels, percussion and woodwinds) had the date engraved on the bell, but I dunno when they stopped that.

If you want to know anything else about the history of Couesnon, an obscure piece of history, in my opinion, go to Mr. Donaldson's "Trumpet Gearhead," at this URL.

http://www.dallasmusic.org/gearhead/Couesnon%3F.html%20

Thats where I got the majority of the information I have been spouting.

(Eh, a little late to post, maybe he's still around)

Van

Hi,

If you can post some details about the horn, and the serial number range, maybe some of us can help you get even closer to the year based on your number range and the ones on our "Queenies" that we bought brand new.

We're all in the same boat but slowly the serial numbers are beginning to take shape here on the internet.

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

Mezzo Piano User

Re: Couesnon Flugelhorn Serials?

tom turner, I'm taging onto this thread with the same question about my Couesnon Flugelhorn. It's a Couesnon Monopole Star Made in France #39661. There's a #10 on the mouthpiece receiver. The horn is gold, has a third valve spring action tuning lever, and no waterkey on the first valve tuning slide (needs to have one!). I've read the Dallas Music information but there's no hint about dates. I'm hoping by this time there might be more information........tom

I just bought an old one with no serial number, but a "50" in the grenade symbol (or "pineapple," as some call it). According to some sources, that means 1950, which would roughly match up with the horn's history as it was told to me.

Hi - I was just checking out a Couesnon flugelhorn on ebay. In the description it says "Couesnon Paris, France serial no: 75146 stamped "Made in France" with a "B" stamped into the middle valve".

The pictures of the instrument look like it's pretty new. And the number seems high. Does anyone know if this is a recently manufactured instrument? If so, what is the quality of the newer flugels they make?

Thanks.

Another great place for info is Horn-u-copia and scroll down to the Cousenon thread. I just researched the brand for someone the other day. You will find a good history of the company and the last paragraph indicates they only have a small group of hand craftsmen and all of their instruments are handmade for the last 10 yrs or so and they make 3 grades of flugels.

There is a picture thread for flugels and several are pictured with some data that was known. Maybe the one you have may look similar or have matching dating data.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    ???? Elkhart Band Instrument Cornet (ELK)
    www.KalamazooconcertBand.org
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    www.PSCB.Soull.com
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

New Friend

This is my first post and I was also wondering about my mysterious Couesnon fluglehorn. It's silver plated with the words "COUESNON PARIS 76328 Made in France" printed on the bell. The valves are numbered 1, 2, 3 on one side and the 2nd valve has an "x" printed on the opposite side of the numbers.

I'm not sure how old this instrument is because I bought it used from a co-worker in 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_tpt View Post
    Hi - I was just checking out a Couesnon flugelhorn on ebay. In the description it says "Couesnon Paris, France serial no: 75146 stamped "Made in France" with a "B" stamped into the middle valve".

The pictures of the instrument look like it's pretty new. And the number seems high. Does anyone know if this is a recently manufactured instrument? If so, what is the quality of the newer flugels they make?

Thanks.
    I have serial number 71523. I bought it used in 1976, so it's at least that old. Hope that helps someone. Has markings on the leadpipe that say "Bflat S V 9".

--Shane

Quote Originally Posted by etownfwd View Post
    Anyone know where I can find a decent listing to date Couesnon Flugel's? I just got one from my teacher just today and would like to know a little more about its history. Thanks for whatever info you can lend.
    -efwd
    Hi I am new here and got interested when I saw the question on Cuesnon flugelhorn serial numbers .
    I think my response will give some clarity on the serial number problem.
    I purchased a Cuesnon flugelhorn new at the time on March 22 1969. The model # is 2155 the serial # is 74178 . I have the original receipt and the original guarantee card from Couesnon. I also have the original hard case and mouthpiece. I of course have the Couesnon model 2155 flugelhorn.
    So by using deductive reasoning I must say my flugelhorn purchased new in March 1969 must be one of the last made at the factory before it burned down which I have read about on an internet post some time ago.
    The Couesnon flugelhorn is still playing with that great Cuesnon sound!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information