Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Dull Finish in the Equipment forums; I've been noticing that many of the pro players have horns with a dull finish. Is that just a horn ...
    New Friend

Dull Finish

I've been noticing that many of the pro players have horns with a dull finish. Is that just a horn with no finish left on it? If that is the case, I would like to remove the finish from mine. I Love that look! Can anyone speak to this?

Fortissimo User

Re: Dull Finish

Sometimes it is the result of having the lacquer removed.
    Sometimes it is a function of having never had the horn lacquered in the first place.
    Sometimes it is the result of having had the horn (or parts of the horn) mildly blasted with an abrasive to create a matte finish prior to lacquering or plating.
    Sometimes it is the result of having had the horn "scratch brushed" by hand prior to lacquering or plating.

Most of the manufacturers are now picking up on this "trend" amongst players to have a unique appearance and will offer options 2, 3, and/or 4.

Options 3 or 4 certainly aren't new... some of the "heritage" horns were finished with a silver matte finish "way back when".

Oh... and pros aren't the only ones with this finish.

There are several schools of thought on trumpet finishes. Laquer is considered by many to damp vibrations and only good to protect the horn (and keep your hands from turning green). The brushed or scratch finish, in some cases allows the horn to be built differently. If you don't need the high gloss, you do not need to work the outside surface the same way. Monette claims audible improvements because of this.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

New Friend

I like that finish as well. I was in the Eclipse site the other night and the horns in the "scratch gold" finish are beauties. I've always had silver plated horns in the past (except for my starter horn which was lacquered). I've never had a horn with gold plating. If you have a gold-plated horn, or scratch gold for that matter, is there extensive upkeep on the plating (like with silver plating) or can you simply put the horn in the case after playing? I'm assuming that gold plating would be fairly low from a maintenance perspective.
    Regards,
    Mike

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar

Gold plated horns are virtually maintainence free.

Just wipe them clean, no tarnish.

On the scratch and satin gold finish, a very well know maker told me to use a non-ammonia based glass cleaner. It works too!

-cw-
    Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

Thread Information