Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By taylordiving
  • 1 Post By BrassBandMajor
  • 2 Post By DiaxII
  • 1 Post By ChopsGone
  • 1 Post By taylordiving
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Early Olds Super - received in the Equipment forums; I just received the 18xxx Olds Super and found out that what my friend Stumac has said to me in ...

Early Olds Super - received

I just received the 18xxx Olds Super and found out that what my friend Stumac has said to me in the past is accurate - "Be careful of buying those vintage horns at cheap prices on ebay because you don't know what you're going to get." (I'll post pics as soon as I can figure out how to get them off my iphone and onto my Linux desktop). The obvious flaws are as follow:
    • Broken receiver - bell brace
    • Completely incorrect bottom valve caps (they may not even be for a trumpet, rather hardware store fittings!)
    • Missing 3rd valve slide finger ring
    • Almost non-existent compression in the first valve
    • Bent bell and slight crinkle just after the "finger hook" brace junction
    • Slightly pinched leadpipe at receiver junction
    • Missing 3rd valve slide stop rod screw
    • Dark spot on bell near crook which could be red rot
    • The main tuning slide is stuck

On the plus side I've discovered:
    • Once I cleaned it, it plays well!
    • The entire bell is silver plate, not brass though other small sections (including the leadpipe) appear to be brass. I'll know more accurately after I've done a thorough polishing of the horn which I won't do until I've had all the structural damage assessed.
    • The third valve dump slide (common on many vintage Olds' and usually stuck because few know about this feature) is free.
    • Did I mention it plays well?

Anyway, time to get it looked at and find out how much my $600AU investment is actually going to cost.
    True Tone likes this.

Re: Early Olds Super - received

Olds Super are nice horns. Stumac is absolutely correct about his statement. The misleading photographs sometimes....
    True Tone likes this.
    Attention:
    Constant N+1 & N-1 in progress!

B&S Challenger I 3137
    Couesnon 'Triebert Moderne' Monopole Piccolo
    Hermann Ganter G7aN
    Arno Windisch 'Silber-Deluxe'
    Conn 28A 'Connstellation'

This message was created using 100% recycled electrons.

I agree, a 70 year old horn should be perfect!
    /s
    " It's a dog eat dog world out there and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear" Norm Peterson "Cheers"

"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up" Lilly Tomlin

Pianissimo User

As I mentioned in another thread couple days ago there is one that looks fantastic that is currently on eBay.
    Olds & Sons Trumpet | eBay

The auction ends in 6 hours at the time of writing.
    The problem is there are only 3 pictures with the only 1 picture of real value. The seller doesn't answer any requests. Complete hit or miss. However if everything is as described (which is not much apart from "It's exceptional") it can turn out a real bargain.
    One of those cases when someone at this forum posts a later review of his purchase with a clear intention of bragging. (Which I've never understood and never will.)
    However they may be right in that they took a chance while others didn't

I wouldn't risk this time because the seller doesn't accept returns but in the case they hide away eBay buyer protection should be applicable. Still I wouldn't risk it with the high shipping cost to my location (around $140) and high risks associated with the Global Shipping Program and the Pitney Bowes company that receives "rave reviews".
    BrassBandMajor and True Tone like this.

Forte User

One problem: that's a cornet. While it does appear to be in beautiful condition, the plain fact is that Olds Super cornets just don't bring the big bucks the way the trumpets do. Nobody ever listened to Red Nichols? Anyway, I bought one a few years ago in similarly spectacular condition - for all of $250. It's a pity. It's certainly a fine instrument, although admittedly not as "cornetty" as some other Olds models.

Quote Originally Posted by DiaxII View Post
    As I mentioned in another thread couple days ago there is one that looks fantastic that is currently on eBay.
    Olds & Sons Trumpet | eBay

The auction ends in 6 hours at the time of writing.
    The problem is there are only 3 pictures with the only 1 picture of real value. The seller doesn't answer any requests. Complete hit or miss. However if everything is as described (which is not much apart from "It's exceptional") it can turn out a real bargain.
    One of those cases when someone at this forum posts a later review of his purchase with a clear intention of bragging. (Which I've never understood and never will.)
    However they may be right in that they took a chance while others didn't

I wouldn't risk this time because the seller doesn't accept returns but in the case they hide away eBay buyer protection should be applicable. Still I wouldn't risk it with the high shipping cost to my location (around $140) and high risks associated with the Global Shipping Program and the Pitney Bowes company that receives "rave reviews".
    True Tone likes this.
    Vintage Olds and Reynolds and Selmers, yes sir, yes sir, two gazoos full.

Aubertins, Bessons, Calicchios, Courtois, Wild Things, Marcinkiewicz, Ogilbee Thumpet, DeNicola Puje, Kanstuls, etc.

Pianissimo User

Oh, I certainly knew that. I didn't know the thread starter was talking about a trumpet.
    Yes, it's one of many cases when cornets are listed as trumpets "there".
    So, watch out

Quote Originally Posted by ChopsGone View Post
    One problem: that's a cornet. While it does appear to be in beautiful condition, the plain fact is that Olds Super cornets just don't bring the big bucks the way the trumpets do. Nobody ever listened to Red Nichols? Anyway, I bought one a few years ago in similarly spectacular condition - for all of $250. It's a pity. It's certainly a fine instrument, although admittedly not as "cornetty" as some other Olds models.

Do you have pictures? Most prewar horns are usually monster players.

Pianissimo User

I have gotten what i expected 9 out of 10 times on Ebay. There is always the jerk out there that gets screwed and trys to peddle it off again like the original seller did. Once, i worked on a car someone bought on Ebay. It was advertised with all new wheels, brake rotors, drums, etc. Complete rustbucket, with shiny paint all over the rust. Wheels, brake rotors, all rusted out, with paint over them to make them look good in pictures. He promptly listed it back on ebay, with the same description that was used by the original seller. Except, he led with this statement. "according to the previous owner"

It turns out that the seller is a real stand-up guy and offered either a partial refund or to refund the transaction. I'm going with the former and the horn's now with my repair tech who will text me in a couple of weeks. I'm doing everything short of valve re-plating so we'll see how we end up. If someone can tell me how to load pictures from my iphone onto my pc I will post them showing the current condition of the horn.
    Sidekick likes this.

Thread Information