Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn in the Equipment forums; Let me start by saying that I know nothing about flugelhorns, other than that they have a beautiful sound. Last ...

Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn

Let me start by saying that I know nothing about flugelhorns, other than that they have a beautiful sound. Last Saturday, I found one in a local antique store for $135.00, an early 1970's Getzen Eterna. The plating is intact with some brass showing through the bell around the valves from handling; the bell had a slight crease in it and the leadpipe nibs were in a bag accompanying the horn but there are no other dents or dings. (It is now with the local tech for repair.) It is in the original case which is in good condition. The seller explained that his father bought the horn used for $250.00 many years ago to aggravate he and his sister, to "get them out of bed in the morning before school." Otherwise, it wasn't played.

I cleaned and oiled it and everything works smoothly, valves, amados, slides, leadpipe are all free and were well maintained. After tarnish removal, it looks beautiful. Did I get a good deal?
    JBKIRBY

1913 Conn Circus Bore Cornet
    Early 1970s Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
    1972 Olds Pinto Bb Trumpet (Weird Horn!)
    1969 Conn 38B Connstellation Bb Trumpet

I was playing once and afterwards, a little boy approached me and stated that he played the trumpet. I asked, "Do you play like I do?" and he replied, "I used to."

Re: Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn

Congratulations on the new horn! Getzen flugelhorns from the 1970's are popular. I own one myself, which I purchased back in the 1970's. It sounds like you got a good deal. You can always do a search on eBay to see what recent ones sold for.

Mike
    Bach Stradivarius 180-43* (1974) and 239 CML (1980)
    Olds Ambassador Trumpet (1957) and Cornet (1957)
    Getzen 896 Flugel (1974), 940 Piccolo, M2003ES Field Trumpet
    Carol CPT-300LR Pocket Trumpet
    Bach 3C, 3D, 3CFL mouthpieces
    Seydel Saxony and Suzuki SCX Chromatic Harmonicas

I sold an '80s Getzen Capri (intermediate) that I had tweaked some about 7 yrs ago, and got $500 for it. You got an awesome deal - the older Getzen flugels are great players, and you should have a very nice horn once it's repaired. :)
    Adams A1, satin gold lacquer, 0.55 (and it's twin in clear lacquer)
    Adams F2, gold brass bell 0.55
    Yamaha 8335RGS (Navy horn)
    Reeves V Raptor
    50's Calicchio
    Marcienkewicz Rembrandt flugel (for sale! Contact Trent Austin for details)
    Schilke P5-4
    French Besson Classic C
    Yamaha 761 Eb/D
    Weril Regium Eb/D (for sale soon)
    vintage Benge pocket trumpet
    Austin Custom Brass mouthpieces

More news to come!

Talking Re: Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn

Quote Originally Posted by jbkirby View Post
    Let me start by saying that I know nothing about flugelhorns, other than that they have a beautiful sound. Last Saturday, I found one in a local antique store for $135.00, an early 1970's Getzen Eterna. The plating is intact with some brass showing through the bell around the valves from handling; the bell had a slight crease in it and the leadpipe nibs were in a bag accompanying the horn but there are no other dents or dings. (It is now with the local tech for repair.) It is in the original case which is in good condition. The seller explained that his father bought the horn used for $250.00 many years ago to aggravate he and his sister, to "get them out of bed in the morning before school." Otherwise, it wasn't played.

I cleaned and oiled it and everything works smoothly, valves, amados, slides, leadpipe are all free and were well maintained. After tarnish removal, it looks beautiful. Did I get a good deal?
    Nah, you got ripped off, but I'll give you $200 to ease your pain. I want to know the location of your pawn/antique shops. They know NOTHING about brass for you to keep getting these deals.
    Last edited by tobylou8; 04-29-2011 at 10:48 PM.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Mezzo Forte User

Hello, does your Getzen Flugelhorn have it's Getzen Flugelhorn mouthpiece? If it does,would it be a Getzen 3C Flugelhorn M.P. Having a deep bowl type cup?

If you do,is it a french taper,standard taper or Bach taper shank? If any one else knows for sure please post.

I have one of the Swiss Willson made .433 bore doubler Couseon style Flugelhorns. That Donald Getzen, sold in the USA for a short while. Has his name engraved on the Bell/ etc.

Same Willson Flugelhorn sold later by Conn in the USA. If the Conn Willson has bottom sprung action. Which it appears to be.

I want to try a smaller rim/ med. deep cup M.P. The Getzen 3C Flugelhorn mouthpiece is to big rim wise and cup wise for me. Wondering what shank taper the Getzen M.P. piece is. Enjoy your Getzen Flugel. You got a great buy.

Quote Originally Posted by study888 View Post
    Hello, does your Getzen Flugelhorn have it's Getzen Flugelhorn mouthpiece? If it does,would it be a Getzen 3C Flugelhorn M.P. Having a deep bowl type cup?

If you do,is it a french taper,standard taper or Bach taper shank? If any one else knows for sure please post.

I have one of the Swiss Willson made .433 bore doubler Couseon style Flugelhorns. That Donald Getzen, sold in the USA for a short while. Has his name engraved on the Bell/ etc.

Same Willson Flugelhorn sold later by Conn in the USA. If the Conn Willson has bottom sprung action. Which it appears to be.

I want to try a smaller rim/ med. deep cup M.P. The Getzen 3C Flugelhorn mouthpiece is to big rim wise and cup wise for me. Wondering what shank taper the Getzen M.P. piece is. Enjoy your Getzen Flugel. You got a great buy.
    The horn has a damaged Bach 1 flugelhorn mouthpiece, so I am not sure of the taper. Any advice (exept from tobylou8 ) would be appreciated.
    JBKIRBY

I was playing once and afterwards, a little boy approached me and stated that he played the trumpet. I asked, "Do you play like I do?" and he replied, "I used to."

Quote Originally Posted by tobylou8 View Post
    Nah, you got ripped off, but I'll give you $200 to ease your pain. I want to know the location of your pawn/antique shops. They know NOTHING about brass for you to keep getting these deals.
    Tobylou8: The $152.10 Conn 1969 38B Connstellation came from an antique shop in Oxford, Alabama and the $135.00 Getzen Eterna came from an antique shop in Headland, Alabama. My next quest will be a $50.00 late 1940's Olds Super Recording...
    JBKIRBY

Quote Originally Posted by jbkirby View Post
    The horn has a damaged Bach 1 flugelhorn mouthpiece, so I am not sure of the taper. Any advice (exept from tobylou8 ) would be appreciated.
    Since you asked ! New Page 1

Make sure you get the correct taper for your Getzen (a "y" designation). I use a 1 FLS y.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

You have a great flugel. It is warm and rounded tone. I love my getzen that is also a 70's vintage.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

Quote Originally Posted by tobylou8 View Post
    Make sure you get the correct taper for your Getzen (a "y" designation). I use a 1 FLS y.
    In addition, if you prefer Bach mouthpieces, Getzen offers a replacement leadpipe with a Bach taper for around $15-$20.
    Bach Stradivarius 180-43* (1974) and 239 CML (1980)
    Olds Ambassador Trumpet (1957) and Cornet (1957)
    Getzen 896 Flugel (1974), 940 Piccolo, M2003ES Field Trumpet
    Carol CPT-300LR Pocket Trumpet
    Bach 3C, 3D, 3CFL mouthpieces
    Seydel Saxony and Suzuki SCX Chromatic Harmonicas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information