Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn in the Equipment forums; Originally Posted by gmonady The Getzen Eterna IS a fabulous flugelhorn. You made an excellent trade. I didn't know anything ...
    Pianissimo User

Re: Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn

Quote Originally Posted by gmonady View Post
    The Getzen Eterna IS a fabulous flugelhorn. You made an excellent trade.
    I didn't know anything of flugels, played an eterna of a colegue and bougt one from ebay. after i got the chance to try some others (courtois, yamies, bessons) I noticed, what a... lets say "for me unfitting" can I bought. it doesn't work above mid G at all, intonation is horrible and the sound realy isn`t soft as a flugel should be. playd 2 more of these and they were the same. I was happy to get rid of it without loosing any money. tried a lawler with the getzen valve stock and i had the same problems (well the sound was softer), maybe i just don't get along with the large bore flugels. the yamaha 631 i play now is much better, up to hich c i feel very comfortable, but there are even better ones, like the kanstul 1525, that play great, even above high c.
    Last edited by hotblack Desiato; 07-28-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hotblack Desiato View Post
    maybe i just don't get along with the large bore flugels
    I love my Getzen Flugel (and my other Getzen horns). But you have to go with what works for you. I'm glad you found a flugel that you like.

Mike
    Bach Stradivarius 180-43* (1974) and 239 CML (1980)
    Olds Ambassador Trumpet (1957) and Cornet (1957)
    Getzen 896 Flugel (1974), 940 Piccolo, M2003ES Field Trumpet
    Carol CPT-300LR Pocket Trumpet
    Bach 3C, 3D, 3CFL mouthpieces
    Seydel Saxony and Suzuki SCX Chromatic Harmonicas

I didn't know anything of flugels, played an eterna of a colegue and bougt one from ebay. after i got the chance to try some others (courtois, yamies, bessons) I noticed, what a... lets say "for me unfitting" can I bought. it doesn't work above mid G at all...
    Maybe you did not have the right mouth piece. I take my Getzen Flugelhorn up to the A just below the double high C with no intonation problems what-so-ever. It sounds and plays in that range so much easier and cleaner than my Kanstul 1526 flugelhorn [I know another "Who are you and what did you do with gmonady" comment from Richtom] but its true. I am sorry that you did not have the chance to find the right mouthpiece that makes the Getzen Eterna work its magic.
    tobylou8 likes this.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

Maybe you did not have the right mouth piece. I take my Getzen Flugelhorn up to the A just below the double high C with no intonation problems what-so-ever. It sounds and plays in that range so much easier and cleaner than my Kanstul 1526 flugelhorn [I know another "Who are you and what did you do with gmonady" comment from Richtom] but its true. I am sorry that you did not have the chance to find the right mouthpiece that makes the Getzen Eterna work its magic.
    are you an imposter -- posing for the real GM???. As I recall GM had a custom made Kanstul Flugel made, and in that custom design, GM put in all the bells and whistles that would allow it to play well for him.
    I can't believe that an imposter NOW says the Getzen is better!!!! ------ will the real GM stand up?? 0r are you on the green pills or the red pills this time, GM??
    1991 King Silver Flair
    1953 Olds Super (LA)
    1979 King KG1055T (pre UMI) Silver Flair
    1940? Olds Ambassador (LA) tenor trombone

I'm not responsible for offending people -- people are responsible for themselves taking offense at me

Pianissimo User

I tried it with several mouthpieces, the smaller the better they worked, but the sound got unacceptable. I had it played by a pro and he meant it played horrible. At the workshop they told me, the eternas are like that. At my visit at the Van Laar workshop I tried the flugels. They have 3 B line models, only 1 BR model and the oiram. the B Models have a rectangular crook (as does the eterna), the B and the oiram a round one. i loved the round ones (amazingly nice horns) but didn't get along with the rectangular ones (again, above g they closed up on me). they told me, that trumpet players usually get along better with the round ones and flugel players preferred the rectangular ones.

Seams it's not only me who had problems with the eterna (from Jim Donaldson from the trumpet gearhaed site):
    "Getzen makes three valve and four valve Eterna flugelhorns, at generally reasonable prices. They all have large trumpet-like bores. They are rarely played by pros because of their bore size, uneven manufacture, and poor intonation. The 4th value is kind of cool but it changes the way the horn plays and most people don't think for the better."
    Last edited by hotblack Desiato; 07-28-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Pianissimo User

Maybe you did not have the right mouth piece.
    I tried it with several mouthpeaces, the smaler the better they worked, but the sound got unexaptable. I had it played by a pro and he ment it played horrible. At the workeshop they toled me, the eternas are like that. At my visit at the Van Laar workshop I tried the flugels. They have 3 B line models, only 1 BR model and the oiram. the B Models have a rectangular crook (as does the eterna), the B and the oiram a round one. i loved the round ones (amazingly nice horns) but didn't get allong with the rectangular ones (again, above g they closed up on me). they tolled me, that trumpet players usually get along better with the round ones and flugel players prefered the rectangular ones.

Seams it's not only me who had problems with the eterna (from Jim Donaldson from the trumpet gearhaet site):
    "Getzen makes three valve and four valve Eterna flugelhorns, at generally reasonable prices. They all have large trumpet-like bores. They are rarely played by pros because of their bore size, uneven manufacture, and poor intonation. The 4th value is kind of cool but it changes the way the horn plays and most people don't think for the better."

I tried it with several mouthpieces, the smaller the better they worked, but the sound got unacceptable. I had it played by a pro and he meant it played horrible. At the workshop they told me, the eternas are like that. At my visit at the Van Laar workshop I tried the flugels. They have 3 B line models, only 1 BR model and the oiram. the B Models have a rectangular crook (as does the eterna), the B and the oiram a round one. i loved the round ones (amazingly nice horns) but didn't get along with the rectangular ones (again, above g they closed up on me). they told me, that trumpet players usually get along better with the round ones and flugel players preferred the rectangular ones.

Seams it's not only me who had problems with the eterna (from Jim Donaldson from the trumpet gearhaed site):
    I am so sorry for yours and Jim Donaldson's loss. Less for Jim's as he is basing his decision on other's input. At least you had the chance to make your decision based on your personal experience. You still did not try that perfect mouthpiece for that horn. And as for what they told you at the Van Laar workshop... It was Van Laar... We call that kind of feedback bias. I don't work for Getzen, don't get a kick back from Getzen, in fact my most recent flugelhorn I purchased was not even a Getzen. From my experience, (and Freddie Hubard, yes the very Sir Freddie of Hubbard) we appreciate the fine quality of the Getzen flugelhorn.
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by kingtrumpet View Post
    are you an imposter -- posing for the real GM???. As I recall GM had a custom made Kanstul Flugel made, and in that custom design, GM put in all the bells and whistles that would allow it to play well for him. I can't believe that an imposter NOW says the Getzen is better!!!!
    The words I used were "easier and cleaner" not better. I do not think in any of my posts I will EVER report one thing as better than another. Even for me I cannot say the Getzen is better than the Kanstul or visa versa. But each horn has it's own attributes. And I was lucky enough to have had the perfect match for my Getzen. I find intonation comes easier than the Kanstul with the Getzen... The Kanstul's tone is butter... I like butter. Is butter better than mellow. No, its a different quality, and I love both qualities. I chose the Kanstul recently as there are times I want butter, but I still play Getzen as there are times I want accuracy in certain conditions (like temperature extremes). The one is NOT better than the other. I think it is important to display the truth on TM. I strive for this. We must us better with caution as that tends to hide the truth.

Truth be known, Richtom has a fabulous horn and I am proud of him for this... This is gmonady and I approve of this message.
    kingtrumpet likes this.
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar

I didn't know anything of flugels, played an eterna of a colegue and bougt one from ebay. after i got the chance to try some others (courtois, yamies, bessons) I noticed, what a... lets say "for me unfitting" can I bought. it doesn't work above mid G at all, intonation is horrible and the sound realy isn`t soft as a flugel should be. playd 2 more of these and they were the same. I was happy to get rid of it without loosing any money. tried a lawler with the getzen valve stock and i had the same problems (well the sound was softer), maybe i just don't get along with the large bore flugels. the yamaha 631 i play now is much better, up to hich c i feel very comfortable, but there are even better ones, like the kanstul 1525, that play great, even above high c.
    Maybe it's just me, and what I do with a flugelhorn......but why would you play a flugelhorn above high C???????

By the way, I just picked this Olds flugel up this week.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have since fabricated a trigger and it works great.

The horn has a nice warm sound.
    Last edited by Solar Bell; 07-28-2012 at 09:42 PM.
    tobylou8, turtlejimmy and patkins like this.
    Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

Forte User

Congrats Chuck, that is a beauty!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information