Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By OldSchoolEuph
  • 1 Post By Pascalouisiana
  • 1 Post By KingConn
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss H.N. White King Silvertone No.2 - Help! in the Equipment forums; Hello Friends, I have recently acquired a lovely King Silvertone trumpet from about 1937-1938 (based off serial #). I purchased ...

Question H.N. White King Silvertone No.2 - Help!

Hello Friends,

I have recently acquired a lovely King Silvertone trumpet from about 1937-1938 (based off serial #). I purchased this horn online, which is always a gamble
    The horn turned out to actually be in fantastic shape with the exception of one major issue a frozen first valve piston and missing bottom cap. Some jerk before my time attacked the valve from the bottom with heck know's what, causing mutilation to the valve casing and threads, and piston itself

Considering the great shape otherwise, and absolutely stunning craftsmanship, I have no issue putting good money into getting this ol' beaut back to life for a second chance. My local shop says the piston can be removed, but the previous damage most likely has rendered it useless. Thus, my questions are...

Can one simply replace a singular piston from another King liberty of the same model and vintage?
    Does anybody on here know of a source where I can locate either one or a set of these pistons/parts?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I am new to this online forum stuff, and look forward to becoming apart of the community.
    Thank you for your time and consideration,

-Benjamin

Re: H.N. White King Silvertone No.2 - Help!

What you describe is very complex to repair and requires an expert craftsman to replicate parts - parts that must be very precise to play well. There are a number of such folks out there who either do all of it, or sub out parts of the project including Robb Stewart, Rich Ita, Charlie Melk and more - but their services will cost you more than the final horn will be worth as this may require a new casing, certainly involves major work to the old otherwise, fabricating a new piston, and locating the small parts or making them too. A more fiscally sound approach would be to find another Liberty no. 2 that has good valves/slides/etc. and swap the bell onto it. Then sell the brass bell, caps, pistons, receiver, leadpipe, slides, etc. of the wrecked body on EBay to maybe save other damaged horns out there.
    Last edited by OldSchoolEuph; 12-15-2016 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Ipad
    Trumpet: 1961 Mt. Vernon Bach 43, 2000 Xeno 8335RGS, 1927 Conn 22B NYS
    Euphonium: 1965 Besson baritone, 1975 Yamaha YEP-321, 1985 YEP-621
    Trombone: 1975 Olds Recording R-20
    MP: Schilke 17d4d & 53

www.trumpet-history.com

OldSchoolEuph,

Thank you for your considerate response. I feared this would be one of the options.. I hate removing a bell from an intended original instrument, but I also understand the cost of such expertise craftsmanship, that a job like this would require to fix. It just kills me because the horn is in fantastic shape otherwise. I really don't know what kind of devil got into the chap who attacked it the way they did, besides perhaps stubbornness and or pride.

Either way, looks like I'm on the hunt for yet another…. old horn nothing new there I suppose, we do this for the passion not the money. Again, thank you.

KingConn, I'm glad to be the first to tell you

Even though OldSchoolEuph gave you an excellent advice, I'm sure that other professional techs will chime in to give you some alternatives.
    Keep us posted.
    KingConn likes this.
    http://www.nojazzfest.com

Sunday, April 30 at 1:00pm under the Gospel Tent

Thank you kindly Pascalouisiana!! I'm super stoked to finally communicate with kindred spirits of the like. I have always referenced trumpetmaster threads for related topics, but now I can be apart of them.

Your welcome is much appreciated, and I will certainly keep you guys posted with updates, esp when the King is up and running again

-Benjamin
    Pascalouisiana likes this.

Why not find a parts horn and just replace the whole valve block? I think that's what I would do. There would be a bit of expense involved with the time to unsolder and resolder, but it seems an easier fix, especially since you could get a valve block off a King Liberty. I would certainly contact some of the repairers OldSchoolEuph mentioned and get their opinion. One of them might even have a donor horn.

So ..how much money do you have in it to start with?

Thread Information