Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Interlochen Trumpet - not much info out there about them - I'm thinking York Stencil in the Equipment forums; I came across an old trumpet engraved with "Interlochen made in the USA" on the bell. I've searched high and ...

Interlochen Trumpet - not much info out there about them - I'm thinking York Stencil

I came across an old trumpet engraved with "Interlochen made in the USA" on the bell.

I've searched high and low and have not found all that much about them. I did see a few posts that suggested that they *might* be a Martin stencil.

So the one I've got my hands on has a Montgomery Ward Trumpet/Cornet Care card with it. So I'm thinking this horn MIGHT have been sold by Montgomery Ward as some point.

Looking at horn's characteristics, I quickly noticed that the placement and font of the serial number reminded me of my York Airflow. Many of the other features also seem to scream York on them as well. The valve block is numbered in the same fashion. Bottom caps and Finger buttons do looks similar to other York models of the time.

Pull Knob on the 2nd slide is also very close to York's pull knobs of the late 30s, early 40s.

So I'm going to say... (at least the ONE Interlochen Trumpet I've seen) is most likely a York stencil.

Oh and it happen to come with an old York mouthpiece as well (maybe originally sold with the horn... maybe not...)

____
    Soren

1990 Getzen Eterna 700 Trumpet
    1958 Conn 28A Connstellation Long Cornet
    1945 Buescher LP 225 Trumpet
    1948 Olds Studio Trumpet
    Triebert Moderne / Couesnon Flugelhorn
    ~Loyalist Websites~
    "There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality: there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury; then there's the dark side...." --Michael Stewart, DMA

Re: Interlochen Trumpet - not much info out there about them - I'm thinking York Ste

I have an Interlochen trumpet too. Mine was clearly made by Wm Frank (it has "WIDE" stamped on the valves). The serial on mine (6627) is far from yours, the Interlochen school might have ordered trumpets from different makers. Last thing, I was told by the school that instruments were not sold/given to students, but some have been stolen along the years.IMG_20160316_175703.jpgIMG_20160316_175719.jpg
    IMG_20160316_175739.jpgIMG_20160316_175804.jpgIMG_20160316_180135.jpg
    "It's harder to get a cornet sound on a trumpet than a trumpet sound on a trumpet." -by me
    "It's harder to get a trumpet sound on a cornet than a cornet sound on a cornet." -by me

Re: Interlochen Trumpet - not much info out there about them - I'm thinking York Ste

Interesting that it has the single radius tuning slide. Almost looks like a Holton copy to me.
    Lots of old horns...some Bachs, Some conns, A Getzen or two...
    The music is in the player, not the horn. Find the sound in yourself first.

I bet you are correct Pascalouisiana.... I didn't realize they were made specifically for the school (but I guess that totally makes sense).... and I bet they bid out who would make them every so many years to get the best prices. Thanx for sharing pictures of yours!
    ____
    Soren

1990 Getzen Eterna 700 Trumpet
    1958 Conn 28A Connstellation Long Cornet
    1945 Buescher LP 225 Trumpet
    1948 Olds Studio Trumpet
    Triebert Moderne / Couesnon Flugelhorn
    ~Loyalist Websites~
    "There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality: there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury; then there's the dark side...." --Michael Stewart, DMA

Thread Information