Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By Pascalouisiana
  • 1 Post By Pascalouisiana
  • 1 Post By trumpetnick
  • 5 Post By Peter McNeill
  • 2 Post By OldSchoolEuph
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss It's a STRIKE (again!) in the Equipment forums; I had been looking at this King Silvertone "Commodore" cornet 1928 Silvertone , King Commodore model, Cornet | eBay , ...

It's a STRIKE (again!)

I had been looking at this King Silvertone "Commodore" cornet 1928 Silvertone , King Commodore model, Cornet | eBay, that went a little bit cheaper 1928 Silvertone , King Commodore model, Cornet | eBay, then the seller put it at $100 with a BIN at $300. I sent a message to the seller saying I had $175 to spend AND HE ACCEPTED MY OFFER!!!! 1928 Silvertone , King Commodore model, Cornet | eBay

1.jpg4.jpg7.jpg1929.jpg1931.jpg

Status: Sterling silver bell, all slides free and smooth, valves and rotor in excellent condition (with perfect compression), a very few little dings. Lifton case in very good condition.

Playability: Exceptional! WOW! Medium bore, though. Don't push too hard, but super easy playing up and down (super up high: my limit is double C and I had no problem to go there). I had trouble to nail the pedal C and down. I might have to look for the right MP to match it. It came with a very nice Courtois MP, with a very small throat and shallow cup. If I would have to play everything between medium C and what ever above, I would for sure use it!!

Warning! I bought it on March 8th, and the seller only shipped it 3 days ago. I received it today. I had to open a case for him to send it. Actually, I thought it was a scam where he will send the money back after a certain period of time, using the customer (me) as a "pay day loan company".

In conclusion: Beware of 1st time sellers. Definitely a KEEPER.
    J. Jericho and True Tone like this.
    "It's harder to get a cornet sound on a trumpet than a trumpet sound on a trumpet." -by me
    "It's harder to get a trumpet sound on a cornet than a cornet sound on a cornet." -by me

Re: It's a STRIKE (again!)

I'll send better pics after I clean it...
    "It's harder to get a cornet sound on a trumpet than a trumpet sound on a trumpet." -by me
    "It's harder to get a trumpet sound on a cornet than a cornet sound on a cornet." -by me

you guys are helpless Have fun anyway...or whatever your family thinks of it.

Amara Music Academy
    Go on vacation, learn to play an instrument
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

The think is, I'm not a professional player. I have a real job ! I only use the money I make from gigs to water my N+1 virus. That's the deal.
    tobylou8 likes this.

Where I live, I make more money than most people with "real" jobs do. So, everything is subjective. I buy only horns I can use in my job. And often can spend time learning aobut makers, instruments and asking questions up to 2-3 years before I dumb some serious cash.
    Peter McNeill likes this.

Amara Music Academy
    Go on vacation, learn to play an instrument
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascalouisiana View Post
    The think is, I'm not a professional player. I have a real job ! I only use the money I make from gigs to water my N+1 virus. That's the deal.
    If that was my rule, I'd be stuck with an Olds Ambassador for life.... a serious drought here!
    Well, if I get petrol money I'm happy. The real job paid for the hobby, the hobby feeds the soul, and creates a better attitude for the real job - some value here I am sure. Well my wife believes me, so that's all that matters.
    Peter

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

Great! Three different ways of seeing things. Diversity makes open one's eyes to different aspects of life.

Congrats Pascalouisiana.... good job doing your internet homework ahead of time! ;)
    ____
    Soren

1990 Getzen Eterna 700 Trumpet
    1958 Conn 28A Connstellation Long Cornet
    1945 Buescher LP 225 Trumpet
    1948 Olds Studio Trumpet
    Triebert Moderne / Couesnon Flugelhorn
    ~Loyalist Websites~
    "There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality: there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury; then there's the dark side...." --Michael Stewart, DMA

Wow, that would have been a good price for a commander without the silver bell. With, it's a steal.

Made 1928-1936, the Commander was a top of the line King that never sold well because of the Depression. It, like the Martin New Professional (a horn interestingly made by Martin in 1927 as a fake and cheap silvertone (nickel bell) to compete with White), used the latest technology to incorporate a quick change A valve without the usual increased resistance - the placement adjacent to the valves was this breakthrough.

A rare bit of horn tech, a rare collectible, and a top player for its day.
    True Tone and Pascalouisiana like this.
    Trumpet: 1961 Mt. Vernon Bach 43, 2000 Xeno 8335RGS, 1927 Conn 22B NYS
    Euphonium: 1965 Besson baritone, 1975 Yamaha YEP-321, 1985 YEP-621
    Trombone: 1975 Olds Recording R-20
    MP: Schilke 17d4d & 53

www.trumpet-history.com

Thread Information