Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By barliman2001
  • 6 Post By OldSchoolEuph
  • 1 Post By Pascalouisiana
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Keefer Trumpets? in the Equipment forums; Anyone know about this brand? I've read somewhere that the company that was "Distin Instrument Company" later became the Keefer ...

Keefer Trumpets?

Anyone know about this brand? I've read somewhere that the company that was "Distin Instrument Company" later became the Keefer Insturment Company and made "quality" intruments until the 1940s where they became a student manufacturer?

I saw a Keefer Williams model somewhere that resembles the old Bessons Paris trumpets, same bracing and appearance. Anyone have experience on these trumpets and how they play? This one seems to be in decent condition for the age. Serial 25xxx

Re: Keefer Trumpets?

Any photos? Efig, you know how it goes around here. 'Identifying horns without photos' are NOT wanted.
    Attention:
    Constant N+1 & N-1 in progress

B&S Challenger I 3137
    Couesnon Triebert Moderne Long Bell Piccolo
    Ganter G7aN
    Arno Windisch 'Silber-Deluxe'
    and a bunch of horns that I can't be bothered to list......

This message was created using 100% recycled electrons.

Very good+ condition? Har har har... Looks suspiciously as if there were red rot and other kinds of corrosion everywhere, apart from the marks made by may decades of hard handling...
    Lukarino likes this.

It really does look like a Besson though, the valve block isn't the same but the 3rd slide bracing, valve top buttons, reciever, and bell rim bead look to be the same. I was told that these "play very well" and were quite rare as they were limited in production. I just wanted some more opinions of this before I emailed the seller. He/She took it off eBay after a buyer backed out.

Of course buying old horns online are a gamble sometimes like the red rot issue.

When Henry Distin went to Pennsylvania in 1882 (after several years in New York partnered first with Busch and then Slater) he had a partnership Distin & Pincus that may have overlapped ongoing business with Slater. In 1884, he established Henry Distin Manufacturing. He moved the firm to Williamsport PA in 1889, partnering with his superintendent, Brua C. Keefer. He then retired in 1890, with Keefer taking over. In 1909, Keefer changed the name to Brua C. Keefer Company, the maker of that horn formerly on EBay.
    Trumpet: 1961 Mt. Vernon Bach 43, 2000 Xeno 8335RGS, 1927 Conn 22B NYS
    Euphonium: 1965 Besson baritone, 1975 Yamaha YEP-321, 1985 YEP-621
    Trombone: 1975 Olds Recording R-20
    MP: Schilke 17d4d & 53

www.trumpet-history.com

I have a Keefer trumpet. The "Intanatic" model (SN 20002). It's a gem! The fastest valves ever and the most in-tune-with-itself-trumpet I've ever played. Mine is different from the model that is pictured in HUC. Mine has a reverse wrap. Also, on HUC, there is a comment about the "Intonatic": "Bore: .465 James Keefer (son of the last Keefer to run the company) says that a few entirely hand made horns were produced during the second world war by custom order only. The factory was otherwise devoted to war related production."
    I had made some research and Brua Keefer Jr did not have any children, and there is no trace of a James Keefer from Williamsport...
    In conclusion, do not believe everything that is in HUC, nor here.

I also have a "Grenadier" cornet (SN 9028) that has the famous enclosed enamel fingertips. Beautiful! It plays very well, but is far from reaching the level of the trumpet.

BTW, I payed $140 for the trumpet (including the shipping cost), and $137.50 for the cornet (including the shipping cost).
    Vulgano Brother likes this.

I have a brass Keefer straight mute, which was with my Conn 22B when my dad bought it for me about 34 years ago. Unfortunately, it's a rather soft sounding straight mute. I like my H&B stonelined better.
    2006 Yamaha Xeno 8335RGS
    1987 Conn 100B "Doc Severinsen"
    1946 Conn 22B "New York Symphony"
    1927 Conn 6A cornet
    1913 Conn New Invention "Circus Bore" cornet
    Couesnon Monopole flugelhorn

Thread Information