Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Lead pipe replacement cost for a Getzen Severinsen? in the Equipment forums; I've only played this instrument a handful of times and I liked it, but wanted an ugly dent taken out ...

Lead pipe replacement cost for a Getzen Severinsen?

I've only played this instrument a handful of times and I liked it, but wanted an ugly dent taken out of the bell tubing.

So I got the dent knocked out of my old Severinsen and got it back home....

Picked it up and tried to play it a bit....

and it sound like a kazoo....

After some searching I quickly learned I have 2 holes in the lead pipe, I thought they were black flecks at first, but then I realized air was coming out of them. I'm assuming (haven't verified) that the trumpet leadpipe may be redrotted out. ARRRRRRGGGGG

All you guys (and gals) that do professional repair, what can I expect to pay for another silver plated lead pipe to be bought and installed on my "holey" Severinsen?

I feel THIS trumpet is well worth the cost... just a matter of can I afford to get it done now or later...

1990 Getzen Eterna 700 Trumpet
    1958 Conn 28A Connstellation Long Cornet
    1945 Buescher LP 225 Trumpet
    1962 Buescher Super Aristocrat Trumpet

~Loyalist Websites~

"There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality: there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury; then there's the dark side...." --Michael Stewart, DMA

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar

Re: Lead pipe replacement cost for a Getzen Severinsen?

The leadpipe should be the cheap part. Word on the street is that the Severinsen leadpipe was based on a #25 pipe mandrel Vinecnt Bach gave to Getzen (this from Tony Scodwell on an evening that did involve a bunch of wine and a dead quail story.) Silverplating is going to be the trickier part and possibly the more expensive part.

The new leadpipe is worth it though.
    tobylou8, coolerdave and Recursion like this.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Here's an idea: you might be able to get a replacement directly from Getzen. VB's right, getting it silver plated is going to be the tough part.
    Too many Buescher Trumpets & Cornets to list or count
    Daily Players: '66 Getzen LB Severinsen, '55 Martin Imperial Cornet
    Most Recent N-1: ' 65 ML Severinsen

New Friend

You can get your tech to order a new leadpipe through Getzen/Allied. Alternatively Mike Bulow at M/K does have a leadpipe for the Severinson. That is the route I took. My leadpipe was a special build because the 1965 tuning crooks had bottom pipes that were shorter than the 1970's Severinsons. The leadpipes are available silver plated. M/K's pipe improves the response, greatly improved the intonation but did not change the overall character of the sound.

I had ordered Z braces (bell to pipe) from Allied. They came in raw brass. My tech asked Allied to send them over to Anderson's for plating for a nominal additional fee.

Osren,
    Aren't the lead-pipes on Severinsens nickel silver? I ma not suggesting your lead-pipe is not red-rotted, I am just wondering a little about how that can happen.
    Jim
    Write about other folks' gear the way you would like to see them write about yours.

Just did this deal (for a friend) through Kanstul, bell and lead pipe supplied by Getzen. Give Charles a call...
    Recursion likes this.
    (Above/left) Alexanders ragtime band-circa 1960

Chalmers Big and Tall midwest sales district credit card division

I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know.
    Mark Twain
    "Strive to have enemies that define you"

My experience with Charles and Kanstul was great...highly recommended.
    Too many Buescher Trumpets & Cornets to list or count
    Daily Players: '66 Getzen LB Severinsen, '55 Martin Imperial Cornet
    Most Recent N-1: ' 65 ML Severinsen

According to Allied/Getzen, the lead pipes changed over the years. There were 3 different ones: before SK5000, from SK5000 to SK37000, and after SK37000.

Unfortunately Charles left Kanstul late last year
    Ivan Hunter
    www.JaegerBrass.com
    Performance and Tuition - Design, Modification and Repair
    Jaeger Trumpets and Mouthpieces - Watch for the new Quarter Tone model
    Skype lessons

Please do not attempt any repairs unless you have appropriate technical proficiency

Most of the replies are bent towards a restoration of the original which is great if that is your criterion. I have horns where, "as close to the original as possible," is the only way I would go. But, there are other options; Pilczuk Accusonic to name just one. Rich Ita could fix you up with a really nice lead for your Severinsen.

Here are two famous Connies I use for players that are Pilczuk equipped.

1950 28B Connstellation

1927 2B New World Symphony

New Friend

According to Allied/Getzen, the lead pipes changed over the years. There were 3 different ones: before SK5000, from SK5000 to SK37000, and after SK37000.

There were changes in the main tuning slide as well. The first run of Severinsons had an overall leadpipe length of approx. 12 5/8", with the actual leadpipe length being 8 7/8". So the upper tube length on my 1965 tuning crook was slightly longer than the 1970's Severinsons. The original lower receiver tube (into the 3rd valve) had a length that was approx. 3 3/4" with a small spacer inserted in the lower tube.

To resolve some of the intonation issues on the early models the leadpipe length was changed to 9 3/16"
    with the overall length remaining the same; the spacer was removed in the lower tube and the tuning slide was lengthened to the length of the 1970's horn. This change occurred sometime in or around 1965 as best as I can determine. (I have seen 1965 crooks with the longer length as some with the shorter. Both of the original crooks that came with my horn have the shorter length and lever style water keys)

M/K built me a leadpipe with the longer 9 3/16" tube and a semi-rounded crook. My original crooks fit as well as the new one. Horn plays great. My horn was a SK27xx vintage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information