Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Solar Bell
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Made in Paris LeBlanc Al Hirt model in the Equipment forums; My Brother plays a Paris made Leblanc Al Hirt model. I'm not sure it's age but I think it is ...
    New Friend

Made in Paris LeBlanc Al Hirt model

My Brother plays a Paris made Leblanc Al Hirt model. I'm not sure it's age but I think it is mid to late 70's. The horn plays great. Lighting fast valves with a HUGE open tone. I think the bore is .468 and the horn is light as a feather. It doesn't have the engraving but rather a plain silk finish that just says "LaBlanc" in script on the bell.

I haven't seen any comments about this horn on this page. Does anyone play or have one? Do you like it or not? How would you rate it against a 50's Olds Recording?

Re: Made in Paris LeBlanc Al Hirt model

Quote Originally Posted by claymor View Post
    My Brother plays a Paris made Leblanc Al Hirt model. I'm not sure it's age but I think it is mid to late 70's. The horn plays great. Lighting fast valves with a HUGE open tone. I think the bore is .468 and the horn is light as a feather. It doesn't have the engraving but rather a plain silk finish that just says "LaBlanc" in script on the bell.

I haven't seen any comments about this horn on this page. Does anyone play or have one? Do you like it or not? How would you rate it against a 50's Olds Recording?
    Its a good horn. I had a close one to that it was a late 60's Leblanc "Sonic" (pre-Gozzo) Played very well. was a heavy horn compared to todays silver plated stuff but had a brighter sound than a recording of the same era. I was very impressed with the intonation and slotting above high C. Made a great lead horn. Ive played a few other Leblanc's from the 70's and they did start to go down hill after Holton merger...Their resurrected horn for Arturo in the 90's was OK but not a big seller for Holton...Now UMI makes em (badly)
    Carol Brass CTR 5000l YST-SLB
    1960 Conn 38B
    Getzen Eterna 700
    1967 Olds Mendez
    Holton ST200
    Leblanc Sonic

New Friend

What or who does the Gozzo refer to?

Pianissimo User

"Gozzo" refers to the Leblanc "Conrad Gozzo" model trumpet that was made in the late 50's and early 60s. Conrad Gozzo was a legendary lead trumpet player who passed away at an early age.

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZeuSter View Post
    "Gozzo" refers to the Leblanc "Conrad Gozzo" model trumpet that was made in the late 50's and early 60s. Conrad Gozzo was a legendary lead trumpet player who passed away at an early age.
    I have a LeBlanc 770 Conrad Gozzo trumpet in mint condition.

I also played a Courtois 708 Sonic that I bought new in 1976, I played it 25 years, GREAT trumpet.

In the Sass & Brass video you can see Al Hirt playing the Courtois 708 Sonic in the session with Maynard, Mangione, Dizzy, and Cherry.

-cw-
    Last edited by Solar Bell; 05-23-2008 at 04:20 PM.
    joe1joey and gatorman like this.
    Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

New Friend

I have the same horn, i.e, LeBlanc, Al Hirt Autograph, Made in France, serial no. 19,xxx. I loved it for years before I got to busy to play. Unfortunately, I've got to sell it now. If anyone is interested let me know. I've got to sell before Christmas.

New Friend

I played a very similar horn a couple of weeks ago here in Kansas City over at Luyben's music. It was an Al Hirt Model with the .468 bore. It was probably the most "even" horn I've played regarding to how it responded and sounded in all registers. Enjoyed it a lot.

Not sure the date of manufacture, I thought he said it was the late '80s.

I personally didn't care for how the valves felt - I've played an '85 Bach strad for quite a while and love those valves, so anything else seems to be a step down.

I just purchased a post LeBlanc Holton that had no indication of which model it was in terms of markings either on the bell, mouthpipe nor "Made in France" inscription on the second valve casing. However, minus the scroll work, it has the exact same short travel valves, valve casings incl. top and bottom caps, buttons etc.(but again, devoid of scroll work) . It also has the identical third valve slide, screw stop, bracing, end dump w/connected water valve, and attached slide ring 'rest' insert built into slide. Overall it appears to have the same bracing throughout, bell profile, and wrap...down to the placement of each tubing connection and ferrules. In short, it appears to be either a clone of the 707 with less florally designed trimmings or in the least, a Courtois designed/built LeBlanc-Holton. As I received it within the last part of today I have yet to bring it in for a cleaning and valve alignment, rebuild kit for same, corks etc. . Interestingly it arrived in the same tan brown leather swivel latched case as the Courtois/LeBlanc Sonic does. The "B-300" that I got from eBay was amateurishly, and thank God, lightly hand scratched with the nomenclature B-300 above the Holton name on the bell. It certainly appeared to be a pro horn from Courtois from the pictures I bid from...sonic or not, and that opinion is one I feel more strongly about after handling it in person. I didn't and do not believe it is a "B-300" and my investment is light ,so I can not 'lose' on this investment, BUT..I surely will appreciate your expertise, opinions etc. as to what horn this might be!!

The following two auctions are currently showing pics. The second one...marked as Holton 300, is the one I purchased.

1) LeBlanc 707 for sale

LeBlanc 707 Sonic BB Trumpet 707TML Laquer Finish Original Case Warranty | eBay

2)Holton I purchased:

Vintage Frank Holton Elkhorn Wis B 300 Trumpet w Case Serial 411805 | eBay

So Holton/LeBlanc/Courtois folk, please chime in and give your opinions? By the way, the valves are as silver glass/perfect and compression is likewise as 'bottle cap popping. And no, I wont actually play it until its at least given a bath. Thanks in advance, ladies and gents,
    Joe

Thread Information