Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Martin Committee Cornet in the Equipment forums; Why is it not nearly as popular as the trumpet?...

Martin Committee Cornet

Why is it not nearly as popular as the trumpet?
    "Music is a fire in your belly that has to come out of your mouth, so you'd better put a horn in the way before someone gets hurt"

1949/50 Super Recording
    1949 Martin Committee
    1947 Super
    Olds Super/Ultrasonic trumpet
    Olds Recording trumpet
    Olds L-12
    Conn 40B
    Eclipse MR scratch gold
    Bach 37
    Benge Picc
    Buescher Mdl 15 Cornet in Bb/C/A (Dad's old horn)
    Boston 3 Star Ne Plus Ultra
    American Standard (King?) beginner trumpet (crap)(my first horn)

Forte User

Re: Martin Committee Cornet

IMHO, simply because if I'd not a trumpet. The cornet for jazz losses favor in the 1930's when Satchmo switched. The trumpet did like the guitar which replaced the banjo. I think the Martin Committee Cornets are a good buy!
    TrumpetMD, tobylou8 and Vega Power like this.

Quote Originally Posted by patkins View Post
    IMHO, simply because if I'd not a trumpet. The cornet for jazz losses favor in the 1930's when Satchmo switched. The trumpet did like the guitar which replaced the banjo. I think the Martin Committee Cornets are a good buy!
    +1

961 Bach Mount Vernon Mercury
    2005 Leblanc T357S Trumpet
    1939 Reynolds Professional Cornet

Pianissimo User

It is indeed, simply because it's a cornet. I find that my Committee cornet blends beautifully with the lead player's Committee trumpet. Both are fine horns and the cornets can, happily, be had for less than the trumpets (in my case, considerably less, not much more than a song, but that's another story). You'll find this is true pretty much across the board for trumpets vs. cornets no matter the vintage. The preference has gone to the brighter sound of the trumpet, except for the remaining bastion of the Brass Bands, which still favor the warmer cornet sound. I have two trumpets and two cornets and each have their niche that I use them for. You can view it as either a form of snobbery and discrimination, or a golden opportunity to have a great horn at a lower price.
    graysono and prls1power like this.
    1932 Conn 2B Special trumpet
    1956 Martin Committee Deluxe cornet
    1964 (ish) Holton Al Hirt Special cornet
    1972 Bach Stradivarus model 37
    Maxtone Flugelhorn

Will be the 4th to say, "It's not a trumpet". It's declining popularity is why, and, I speculate here, that many cornets sound "trumpety". They are great for young players though and folks with small hands as most have a wide wrap. If someone only made them that looked like trumpets!!!
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Toby, Conn hid a cornet as a trumpet in the Connstellation. You have to research and find out how to tell the difference. ( location of pinky ring on the leadpipe ). I've just stuck to the horn that I started on ( a trumpet ). Some of my friends in band stuck to their cornets for the same reason I suppose. Obviously either a trumpet or cornet player could play either. There is/was a Committee cornet on eBay that looks great.....and a beautiful original case.
    Chuck Cox
    1949 Martin Committee Deluxe
    Mouthpiece(s):
    Schilke 13a4a ( 80% )
    Bach 7C ( 15% )
    Bach 5V ( 5% )

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Cox View Post
    Toby, Conn hid a cornet as a trumpet in the Connstellation. You have to research and find out how to tell the difference. ( location of pinky ring on the leadpipe ). I've just stuck to the horn that I started on ( a trumpet ). Some of my friends in band stuck to their cornets for the same reason I suppose. Obviously either a trumpet or cornet player could play either. There is/was a Committee cornet on eBay that looks great.....and a beautiful original case.
    What he said, and an "A" on the leadpipe.
    graysono

Conns: 2B ('48) 48B ('51) 58B ('32) 62B ('46 Pan Am) 80A ('53)
    Olds: Ambassador Cornet ('52) Ambassador Trumpet ('52)
    Kanstul/FBessons: 609; 709 Trumpets
    Martin: Deluxe Committee Model Trumpet ('52)
    Reynolds: Contempora Trumpet (LB) ('56) Contempora Cornet (LB) ('62)
    Schilke: B6L Trumpet (2009)
    Stomvis: Elite Flugelhorn; Elite Cornet; Forte Pocket Trumpet

The Committee cornet went for $679. I would like that one even though dude had no idea where to measure the bore as he reported 0.531" with calipers. Then I must have a really large bore if I measure at the bell flare.
    coolerdave likes this.
    Chuck Cox
    1949 Martin Committee Deluxe
    Mouthpiece(s):
    Schilke 13a4a ( 80% )
    Bach 7C ( 15% )
    Bach 5V ( 5% )

Quote Originally Posted by patkins View Post
    Armstrong switched to trumpet in 1927. The change over to trumpet had nothing to do with Armstrong, who reluctantly went to the trumpet because everyone he was working with was already playing the trumpet. When he was with Fletcher Henderson's band in 1925 his section mates were playing trumpet

He states very clearly he switched when he went to work with Erskine Tate's orchestra and that Tate felt he would blend better with the other trumpet player in the band. Photos of him in that band show him with a trumpet (a Buescher, if I'm not mistaken).

There's an absolutely non-factual, ridiculous piece of clap-trap on the web written by someone connected with the University of Edinburgh that tries to make the case that Armstrong was responsible for the musical world of brass players changing from cornet to trumpet. There were guys playing trumpet in New Orleans in 1915, when Louis was still in short pants and in the Waif's Home. Louis had NOTHING to do with brass players making the change from cornet to trumpet.

There were guitars used in jazz in New Orleans BEFORE the banjo. The banjo came into vogue in the early 1920s, and fell out of favor in the early 1930s.

I got a chance to play two Committees, an Old's Recording and a Committee Cornet, side by side. One of the Committees was an early 40s, the other a 50's Deluxe. I was really dissapointed in the color of both Committees. The Deluxe was actually darker but the 40's one had more loose slotting and felt more like a true Committee. The Recording actually sounded darker and was fabulous ( I know the guy still has it for sale by the way for $950 ) ... my wife was listening and said none of those horns sounded different than what I already owned. Then she heard the Cornet ... and said "That is the sound you are looking for". The cornet wasn't for sale though.
    So I would agree, they are a nice find. I think the value of the Committees really is in the lineage of the players who used them. All you need is one picture of Dizzy playing one in concert and you might make some money on it.
    !
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information