Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Martin Handcraft Committee versus Martin Committee in the Equipment forums; Can someone tell me the difference between a Handcraft Committee and a Committee? Thanks....

Martin Handcraft Committee versus Martin Committee

Can someone tell me the difference between a Handcraft Committee and a Committee? Thanks.
    1941 Martin Handcraft Committee
    1947 Besson Meha
    1947 Buescher 205
    1952 Getzen Super Deluxe
    1973 Claude Gordon Benge, 1980s Claude Gordon Selmer (2)
    2013 Schilke Handcraft HC2
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/47302603@N03/

Re: Martin Handcraft Committee versus Martin Committee

Not sure, but I'd like to know the difference between a Martin Handcraft and a Martin Handcraft Dansant. Martin didn't make that many models but there's still a bit of confusion. Martin experts should be along soon ......

Turtle
    Trumpets are for extroverts - Lee Morgan

www.soundcloud.com/turtlejimmy

Quote Originally Posted by slantws View Post
    Can someone tell me the difference between a Handcraft Committee and a Committee? Thanks.
    The Martin Handcraft Committee was the transition from Martin Imperial to Martin Committee. It was only made from 1939 to 1942, then they started making the Martin Committee. The serial number range on the MHC was 128XXX to 143XXX. (They continued to make Imperials.) The Martin Committees started with 144XXX. (I've seen a MC with 144XXX and my MHC is 1439XX.) It is believed that Reynold Schilke designed all the Committees and during the MHC era was in the factory tinkering with the design. The cosmetic difference was that the MHC was traditional water keys where the MC had the trombone-like water keys. My horn is one of the last Martin Handcraft Committees made (1439XX) and I have to say it is by far the best horn I have ever played or owned!
    Last edited by Steve Davis; 12-28-2010 at 03:40 PM.

Steve, Thank you for the reply. Are the cosmetic differences the only or primary differences? When you say Schilke design ed "all the Committees" does that include the MHC? Is the MHC is basically of the same internal design as the MC or an updated Imperial? I've been playing my new to me MHC 1366XX and love it.
    1947 Besson Meha
    1947 Buescher 205
    1952 Getzen Super Deluxe

Congratulations on owning a Handcraft Committee. (You know what I'm talking about as to how great the horn is.) I have no proof, of course, but from what I have researched, Schilke was maybe solely responsible for designing the Committee, especially the Handcraft Committee from which the Committee evolved. I believe he was directly involved in the Martin factory during the years that the Handcraft Committee was being made (1939-1942). Before the Handcraft Committee, the Imperial was their top of the line professional horn. I am not an expert on the differences, although there are subtle differences in the bracing. Look at your bracing inside the bend of your tuning slide. You won't find that on other models. For what it's worth, Chris Botti likes the Handcraft Committee better than the Committee. He plays the only large bore (#3) HANDCRAFT Committee known to exist. The large bore is more plentiful in the later Committee models. They are all great horns up to about #200XXX.

Steve,
    Yes, I do know what you mean about how it plays. And the easiest horn I own to play. Mine is a #2 bore. It has a great history. It was previously owned by the late Dick Cathcart for many years. I bought it from his son. He was a studio musician, then played with Lawrence Welk, Alvino Rey bands etc. And he had a number of movie credits, like the cornet solos in Pete Kelley's Blues. The horn is in great condition, only a few dings and minor lacquer loss. I think he's playing the Handcraft in the YouTube video "Cookin' the Blues". Can you tell if it's the Martin Handcraft in the video? Link is [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gu2ZQzcuG0]YouTube - Cookin' The blues -- Merle Koch 1986[/ame]
    1947 Besson Meha
    1947 Buescher 205
    1952 Getzen Super Deluxe

It's hard to tell from the video, but it kind of looks like it is from the shape of the horn's bell and looks like the 3rd valve slide is longer like a Handcraft Committee. Not sure.

Steve,
    You can see the horn if you click on the flickr page at the bottom of my signature.
    Jerry.
    1947 Besson Meha
    1947 Buescher 205
    1952 Getzen Super Deluxe

I meant that I could not make out the features of the horn in the video well enough to identify it. I do know what it looks like because I own one and a picture of mine appears beside my name. Mine looks identical to yours.

New Friend

Hi Steve,

Interesting history . . . . I have a HC Imperial, #136xxx, medium bore (#2 on second valve below serial number) . . . . what can you tell me about it?

Thanks,
    royjohn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information