Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Odd Selmer Melody Maker in the Equipment forums; Originally Posted by Cornetist Here is one more attempt at a picture. It's a cornet Selmer "Melody Maker" (Selmer in ...

Re: Odd Selmer Melody Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Cornetist View Post
    Here is one more attempt at a picture.

It's a cornet Selmer "Melody Maker" (Selmer in England, not in France), like this one :

(Thanks to the excellent site "Horn-U-Copia").

Postscript : According to the description you made, the mouthpiece looks like a genuine Selmer cornet one.
    Last edited by Dupac; 06-17-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: The postscript
    Mikel Dupac / Lawler C7-3R-1A + Prana B6S1
    Yamaha Xeno 8335RGS - Yamaha Eb cornet
    Couesnon flugel 1968 - Selmer C cornet 1964
    Besson Bb cornet 1906 - Amati valve trombone
    Carol Brass Dizzy pocket - Jupiter soprano bone
    Music is the healing force of the Universe! A. Ayler

New Friend

I actually have two Melody Makers. My first looks like the photo submitted by Dupac. (Thanks, Dupac, for that photo.)

Differences between the two horns include 1) the silver one requires a mpc more like a traditional cornet mpc. The mpcs from the brass one are way too large, 2) the silver one has an additional tuning slide before entry into the third valve. This allows the horn to be tuned for Bb and for A, but the brass one is only a Bb, 3) the silver one has a serial number on second valve casing, the brass one has no serial number anywhere. The spit valves are different. The bell of the silver one is smaller in diameter. The bracing and the valve caps and bottoms on the silver one suggest a much older model. But why would the brass one be designed to use a mpc the size of a flugelhorn mpc? It seems very odd to me.

Any additional information about either model, such as possible age, mpc info, etc. would be really appreciated. I really like the sound on the brass one better than that of the silver one. The brass one is rounder and darker -- more flugel-like. I assume much of that comes from the mpcs.

Valve caps and finger pads are typically Selmer, France; similarly the odd main waterkey. The bending of the pipes as well as slide shape and positioning remind me of 1960s vintage Boosey & Hawkes student and intermediate cornets - which were then made in Czechoslovakia. The adjustable ring for slide 3 again is very un-Selmer; and the mpc receiver clearly was added or changed later, possibly for someone in Central or Eastern Europe where cornet shank mouthpieces were rare and almost impossible to find until very recently. As to the case: My Courtois 154R Flugelhorn (bought in 1998) has a similar case.
    Rotaries:
    5 rotaries - Bb, C, Eb/D, G, Bb/A picc

Rotary Flugel:
    Votruba Profi Bb / K&M 3-valve Hunting Horn

Piston:

Dowids Jazzline Bb / Ganter V8 Bb /Benge #7/Jupiter JTR 8012/Stomvi Forte Bb Pocket / Selmer concept TT C / Stomvi Elite C / Stomvi Elite Eb/D / Bach Strad D
    Bach Strad F / Selmer Bb/A Picc / Stomvi Elite Bb/A Picc / Besson International Bb Cornet / Stomvi Elite Bb Cornet / Ganter Custom Eb/Db/C Cornet

Piston Flugelhorn:
    Courtois 154 R Flugelhorn

Jupiter Soprano Trombone

Quote Originally Posted by barliman2001 View Post
    Valve caps and finger pads are typically Selmer, France; similarly the odd main waterkey. The bending of the pipes as well as slide shape and positioning remind me of 1960s vintage Boosey & Hawkes student and intermediate cornets - which were then made in Czechoslovakia. The adjustable ring for slide 3 again is very un-Selmer; and the mpc receiver clearly was added or changed later, possibly for someone in Central or Eastern Europe where cornet shank mouthpieces were rare and almost impossible to find until very recently. As to the case: My Courtois 154R Flugelhorn (bought in 1998) has a similar case.
    The main brace on Dupac's silver horn-photo resembles that of 1950s-80s Amati angled telescopic braces. However, the forward-facing 2nd valves slide and the position of the 1st valve ports are not in the usual places for Amatis of the era.
    2002-5 Yamaha 6310Z pro trumpet
    1970s Yamaha 731 pro cornet - awful valves, great sound
    2008-11 Conn-Selmer King 1117SP marching trumpet
    1996 UMI Musica 96T pocket trumpet (KHS-Jupiter stencil - Taiwan)
    1989 UMI Conn 1000B student trumpet
    1972-9 Conn 24A flügelhorn (Willson stencil - Switzerland)
    1967 Conn 15A Director cornet
    1950ish EARLY Getzen Deluxe Model 90

Thanks to Reedman1 for help with my profile image

Instrument Specifications where instrument="Cornet" and maker="Melody Maker"= Here are a couple that are on Horn-u-copia. No sign of that Olds type water key. Melody maker was Selmer London trade name, some made by Huttl.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    ???? Elkhart Band Instrument Cornet (ELK)
    www.KalamazooconcertBand.org
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    www.PSCB.Soull.com
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

Look at this "Super DeLuxe" cornet, by Huttl (found in Horn-u-Copia, search "Huttl Instruments") :

Mikel Dupac / Lawler C7-3R-1A + Prana B6S1
    Yamaha Xeno 8335RGS - Yamaha Eb cornet
    Couesnon flugel 1968 - Selmer C cornet 1964
    Besson Bb cornet 1906 - Amati valve trombone
    Carol Brass Dizzy pocket - Jupiter soprano bone
    Music is the healing force of the Universe! A. Ayler

[QUOTE=barliman2001;642492] and the mpc receiver clearly was added or changed later... [QUOTE]

Don't think so. Look at the trumpet version below. A bit different, but I would say that it is the same unknown maker. I bought the trumpet in its original case with its original mouthpieces marked 3 and 4 and they had a very special taper, just like this cornet, and not at all equal to other east European mouthpiece tapers that I have.

I've been trying to figure out the maker without any positive results. I''ve left the Czech track behind for these instruments. I believe the other Melody Maker versions are Czech, but not these with strange mouthpieces and Olds water keys on the tuning slide. I have two guesses, Italian or very early China. I have seen another horn called Cantarini for sale in the Netherlands (ebay.nl) that looked the same, but the metal of my trumpet was odd, very hard and therefor the "ping" of the bell was more brilliant than on any other horn I've had.

http://www.kraxbb.se/Trumpeter/melodymaker/DSC01710.JPG

Pianissimo User theo van kampen's Avatar

Has this instrument bottom spring valves? My 'Melody Maker' has.
    Unfortunately I stored her at my Swiss familys house so I cannot send a picture, I use her as study instrument when I am on vacation over there.
    Well build, no red rot, great compression on the very simple build valves. Good player, not excellent though.
    Mine has no brace near tuning slide.
    Mine shares the Conn fingerhook and Olds spit valve.

Quote Originally Posted by theo van kampen View Post
    Has this instrument bottom spring valves? My 'Melody Maker' has.
    Unfortunately I stored her at my Swiss familys house so I cannot send a picture, I use her as study instrument when I am on vacation over there.
    Well build, no red rot, great compression on the very simple build valves. Good player, not excellent though.
    Mine has no brace near tuning slide.
    Mine shares the Conn fingerhook and Olds spit valve.
    Yes, and I agree about the playing opinion.

New Friend

Interesting additional datum . . . . My Melody Maker cornets do not have the bottom valve springs, unlike the Melody Maker trumpets owned by KRax and Theo Van Kampen.

Also the main spit valve is a slightly different shape than the one in KRax's photo, as is the finger ring.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Finding out more information is a huge part of the fun of collecting older horns.
    Conn 60b
    Harrelson-modified Yamaha 2320
    Olds Mendez
    Edwards Gen. I
    Calicchio 1s/7
    DEG Signature flugel (1960s)
    Getzen 300 trum. (1987)
    Hileron cor. (1890s)
    Lyon & Healy Own Make cor. (1903)
    Martin Imperial Music Man cor. (1962)
    Martin Committee cor. (1960)
    Martin Committee Deluxe trum. (1959)
    Olds Ambassador trum. (1956)
    Selmer (Conn) Melody Maker cor. (1957?)
    Selmer (Conn) Melody Maker flugel / cor.?
    York Professional cor. (1913)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information