Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Old AMATI Kraslice trumpet with no name in the Equipment forums; Hi, I bought an Amati trumpet in perfect conditions for 50€ on ebay in Italy. She is silver, working and ...

Old AMATI Kraslice trumpet with no name

Hi,
    I bought an Amati trumpet in perfect conditions for 50€ on ebay in Italy.

She is silver, working and plays in tune and "peels".
    She has no model name or number, only AMATI Kraslice on the bell and the serial 25962 on the 2nd valve, no other sign or number anywhere.

The original enclosure reminds me the years 40s/50s but I can't find a way to identify model nor date the instrument. I've also sent an email to the Amati itself but they did not reply.

Please, can anybody help me?
    Thanks
    Mauro

Re: Old AMATI Kraslice trumpet with no name

I never saw an Amati that plays in tune or have a nice sound, but if you say so.....

Nick I - freelance wellness consultant
    My online store
    The Official Group of Nick I
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada to come...

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar

Gee, maumari, me being what I consider a real a trumpet player I can only suggest the following:

Play the instrument.

If you don't want to hold on to it, then sell it to a trumpet player, or a trumpet student, or (maybe) even better yet, give it away to somebody you know!

Our vintage, and beloved instruments (and here I think I speak for all trumpeters) are priceless!

If you want to sell it, go to the classified section! If you want to show it off as part of your collection, you've landed at the right place.

Older Amati trumpets, in general, are great playing trumpets, but of poor quality. They aren't worth much.

Try E-Bay. You might make a mint!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I'm NOT trying to sell anything or to give it away, I'm only trying to identify the model and year of this cheap trumpet. And I'm not a professional trumpeteer, just a back in action one having lot of fun! And now trying to experiment with cheap things on ebay (not yet a collection maybe a bunch of garbage, but...?).

However, apart from considering it's an "Amati", it's solid, heavy, with a good plating.
    And it plays, you just have to blow .

It's tone is rounder than my B&S Challenger, but it's worth playing it in ballads or so. Actually I'm using it at the office with a mute at lunch break (much better than a chinese one).

I said it plays in tune because I "tested" it with the cp2 tuner and it seems to be well "over the average" (i.e. comparing with other student/average trumpets I tried - yamaha, jupiter, selmer-prelude...) in tune along the whole range.

It definitely has his "sound".

Hope that's a more clear message!

Ciao
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by maumari View Post
    However, apart from considering it's an "Amati", it's solid, heavy, with a good plating.
    And it plays, you just have to blow .

It's tone is rounder than my B&S Challenger, but it's worth playing it in ballads or so. Actually I'm using it at the office with a mute at lunch break (much better than a chinese one).

I said it plays in tune because I "tested" it with the cp2 tuner and it seems to be well "over the average" (i.e. comparing with other student/average trumpets I tried - yamaha, jupiter, selmer-prelude...) in tune along the whole range.
    I am really surprised, Mauro!
    Good for you! You should consider yourself lucky! I never played an amati instrument which I was happy with.

Nick I - freelance wellness consultant
    My online store
    The Official Group of Nick I
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada to come...

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Mezzo Piano User Brass crusader's Avatar

Hi,
    If it works fo you, than hold on to it! 50 euro is somewhere around $50, right?
    If I'm right about the money, than it's a good buy. You couldn't get a cheap new chinese TSO(Trumpet-shaped-object) for that much.
    Congrats
    OAS AAS LLS
    AFM Local 400

The valve block is of the same kind as the one Amati used for the Lafleur II student trumpets they made for Boosey & Hawkes. I do not really know when they were made, maybe someone from UK can answer that. 70´s? 60's?

Overall it looks very much like a Lafleur I had for a short time (which I actually painted green. I had stripped the lacquer just as an experiment but that really destroyed its sound so I painted it and voilá, the good sound was back). I liked how it played and thought it was much better than the Yamaha student trumpets I had mostly played then (1330, 2330) with sweeter sound and better intonation. Only thing I didn't like was that I thought it was very tough to play in the high register and that its sound became much weaker up there compared to other trumpets.

Quote Originally Posted by KRax! View Post
    The valve block is of the same kind as the one Amati used for the Lafleur II student trumpets they made for Boosey & Hawkes. I do not really know when they were made, maybe someone from UK can answer that. 70´s? 60's?

Overall it looks very much like a Lafleur I had for a short time (which I actually painted green. I had stripped the lacquer just as an experiment but that really destroyed its sound so I painted it and voilá, the good sound was back). I liked how it played and thought it was much better than the Yamaha student trumpets I had mostly played then (1330, 2330) with sweeter sound and better intonation. Only thing I didn't like was that I thought it was very tough to play in the high register and that its sound became much weaker up there compared to other trumpets.
    Thanks KRax, I'll look after the Lafleur ones (that's what I needed, a trace!).

You're right, it has sweet sound but you have to push to make her sing in the high register, but I didn't notice the week sound, it's full and rich maybe something better than low register. However funny and sexy for few bucks!

Ciao
    Mauro

I guess it was most me not being able to really push it up high back then... A guy I play with sometimes use one as his outdoor back up instrument and he sure can make it play up there.

Generally speeking your trumpet looks a little bit better put together than the one I had. Same basic design, just, you know, made with some more attention. Ought to make it a little bit better I guess. The word is, as said by others above, that the older Amati instruments are better as they were made when they still employed some of the pre WWII workers or people who had learned from them.

Quote Originally Posted by KRax! View Post
    I guess it was most me not being able to really push it up high back then... A guy I play with sometimes use one as his outdoor back up instrument and he sure can make it play up there.

Generally speeking your trumpet looks a little bit better put together than the one I had. Same basic design, just, you know, made with some more attention. Ought to make it a little bit better I guess. The word is, as said by others above, that the older Amati instruments are better as they were made when they still employed some of the pre WWII workers or people who had learned from them.
    Yes I think so, that's why I'm wandering what period/model this trumpet is. It seems too solid and heavy to me to be a basic model, but it's not as a pro old one.

I'll continue the quest, and I'll let you know if I get info about.

Ciao
    Mauro

Thread Information