Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Olds Ambassadors? in the Equipment forums; I do know about quite a few horns, but I can't seem to understand the Olds Ambassador. They're all over ...
    New Friend

Olds Ambassadors?

I do know about quite a few horns, but I can't seem to understand the Olds Ambassador. They're all over eBay for super-cheap, but I had the impression that they were a higher-level model. Is there a reason that they're so cheap online? And what's the resale value for these babies? If I walked into a music shop (either local or a national chain like Sam Ash), do you think they'd offer me anything?

Oh and sorry if this seems to be a repeat of other threads...

Mezzo Forte User

Re: Olds Ambassadors?

Olds Ambassador is the quintessential student horn. It's not considered a pro horn. But I think they will offer a nice fat sound compared to a modern student horn. I'd take an Olds Ambassador over a Yahamaha 2335 any day of the week. The trick is finding one in excellent condition. Overall they are great horns. The bell is nice and thick and will take a beating.

Good luck. I'd rather have an Olds Ambassador over a Conn Director.

I agree with busted chops. Another one is a Reynolds Medalist, very akin to the Olds. The one's I have had, both early 70's, had excellent valves with little visible wear. The Reynolds had a 3rd slide that operated smoother and a stop rod. Both of them tuned best with the tuning slide all the way in, but mp shank lenghth would have some impact on that. Your best resale value would be ebay or craigslist sale, not a dealer unless you had an exceptional one.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    ???? Elkhart Band Instrument Cornet (ELK)
    www.KalamazooconcertBand.org
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    www.PSCB.Soull.com
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

Banned Fortissimo User

A lot of people swear by the ambassador, why? I do not know. I have played the ambassador as a cornet and trumpet. Nothing special except the price. I would take my Yamaha 2335 over a ambassador any day of the week. You can find a 2335 in good shape almost everywhere. I am not a big fan of Conn either.

I purchased a 1957 Olds Ambassador this past year from eBay for about $70. I bought it out of nostalgia, since I started out on an Ambassador. But I got lucky, and the horn was in pretty good shape. I put maybe $25 into restoring it. It plays great, has a bit more core to it than my lightweight Bach (which is understandable), is pretty responsive, has good partials, and has very fast valves.

Mike
    Bach Stradivarius 180-43* (1974) and 239 CML (1980)
    Olds Ambassador Trumpet (1957) and Cornet (1957)
    Getzen 896 Flugel (1974), 940 Piccolo, M2003ES Field Trumpet
    Carol CPT-300LR Pocket Trumpet
    Bach 3C, 3D, 3CFL mouthpieces
    Seydel Saxony and Suzuki SCX Chromatic Harmonicas

New Friend

Interesting opinions...seems that plenty of people on this forum play Ambassadors, despite their label as the "quintessential student horn." I saw a few band instrument buy/sell websites that had good Ambassadors going for $100-200. How much do you guys suppose I could get if I were to sell them a nice model?

Quote Originally Posted by osubuckeye View Post
    Interesting opinions...seems that plenty of people on this forum play Ambassadors, despite their label as the "quintessential student horn." I saw a few band instrument buy/sell websites that had good Ambassadors going for $100-200. How much do you guys suppose I could get if I were to sell them a nice model?
    I suppose if it was fully restored, all dents removed, and relacquered ... and if it was a pre-1970 model, it might be worth about $300-$400. But I think a used Ambassador with typical dents, scratches, and lacquer wear, is probably worth about $50 to $100. You can add $25 to $50, if it comes with a case.

A music store might sell them for a bit more. But then again, a music store is probably also providing after-sale service and some type of warranty.

Mike
    Last edited by TrumpetMD; 11-22-2011 at 06:35 PM.
    Bach Stradivarius 180-43* (1974) and 239 CML (1980)
    Olds Ambassador Trumpet (1957) and Cornet (1957)
    Getzen 896 Flugel (1974), 940 Piccolo, M2003ES Field Trumpet
    Carol CPT-300LR Pocket Trumpet
    Bach 3C, 3D, 3CFL mouthpieces
    Seydel Saxony and Suzuki SCX Chromatic Harmonicas

Banned Fortissimo User

I think you should try one before you buy one. Like I said before, not amazing. Great for the price bout I would rather save my money.

Mezzo Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpetMD View Post
    I suppose if it was fully restored, all dents removed, and relacquered ... and if it was a pre-1970 model, it might be worth about $300-$400. But I think a used Ambassador with typical dents, scratches, and lacquer wear, is probably worth about $50 to $100. You can add $25 to $50, if it comes with a case.

A music store might sell them for a bit more. But then again, a music store is probably also providing after-sale service and some type of warranty.

Mike
    I usually flip Old`s Ambassadors on EBay......you see it really was meant to be a student horn. Yet it`s a good solid horn that many people use as a backup horn.
    An old`s Ambassador in good condition and not restored can go for $150 -- $300 <--which is the highend price!
    An Old`s Ambassador with a nice finish and in tip top condition can go upwards of $500.00+.
    Out of all the Old`s Ambassadors I have sold I recently sold my personal Ambassador with a brushed finish for $475.00 + shipping!!
    two Olds Recordings -- 1 sold!
    Yamaha C trumpet YTR - 745
    Besson Eb/D trumpet
    Bach G trumpet - 2
    Bach Herald Trumpet
    Olds Ambassador - circa 1959 - Fullerton -- sold!!
    H.B.Jay Co. Columbia model trumpet 1910 gold plated
    Bach Stradivarius Trumpet
    Couesnon Lafayette Trumpet -- sold!

These horns are not typically a high hurdle to acquire if you want to play one and see how it fits for a few weeks. Look on e-bay for an auction that is only a few days and ends on a week day and the listing has poor photos. That way if you don't like it, you can flip it and at least break even if you just take better photos, let the auction run 10 days and make sure it ends on a weekend afternoon. I don't think you can look at these as a way to make money as an investment, but usually they are what they are by now and you should at least not be at risk of losing big if you decide to resell. And I have heard that particularly with Olds, that the horns before 1970 are better, and probably better the older these are. Pristine silver plate (unusual for this model) with gold trim brought about $400 and silver plate, slightly bent with missing button went for under $50. The price on these is tied mostly to condition, disproportionately toward cosmetic condition. A good player can be had for under $100 easily.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information