Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Olds Flugelhorns in the Equipment forums; I am thinking on buying an Olds flugel to replace my Getzen Eterna sometime in the future. What years did ...
    Piano User

Olds Flugelhorns

I am thinking on buying an Olds flugel to replace my Getzen Eterna sometime in the future. What years did Olds make flugels and what models did the make? Olds Central did not yield any major info. What would the average price range for one be?
    Thanks
    1952 Olds Studio Bb
    1949 Olds Super Bb
    1950 Olds Ambassador Bb
    2007 Jupiter Tribune Bb
    1995 Conn 86B C
    2000 Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn

Mezzo Forte User

Re: Olds Flugelhorns

Kanstul and Getzen have kept the Traditional Olds sound going. The Olds Flugelhorns were more toward a Jazz type Flugelhorn or Doubler type. I would think your Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn should fill that bill.

For instance,the Olds Super Star has been reborn in the doubler Kanstul 725 Flugelhorn. The Kanstul 725 will play much better in tune and over all sound.

I recently listen to the demo video's of the new Monnete Flugelhorn. Similar in design as the Olds Super Star and Kanstul 725 Flugelhorn. IMHO,I felt the Kanstul 725 Flugelhorn, put out just nice as a sound. For a whole lot less money.

Kanstul does not claim to be cloning anything. But with his past knowlege,has taken some proven older designs of horn making to a higher level.

The Olds Flugelhorn that most vintage Olds owners wanted was the Clark Terry model and the Olds Super Star model. The L-12 are the Basic model,and they all had tuning issues. If you study Irving Bushs Flugelhorn real careful. You will see Olds did some flip flopping on the Bell Tubing design of the Olds Super Star and the Clark Terry.

The Super Star kept the similar Bell tubing design like the L-12 models. The Clark Terry got the Bell Horn tubing wrap like the Irving Bush horn.

The last Clark Terry models on E-bay had ridiculous buy it now prices. For that much money, Trent Austin can sell you a brand new Adams Flugelhorn. Give Trent a call,tell him what you are looking for. He might even have some used Conn Vintage One flugels etc. that will fill the bill.

I like vintage horns,have two 1938/48 King Master cornets. But very good to excellent condition vintage Horns are starting to fade off E-Bay. Prices on very good to excellent condition horns is up there. The Carol and Adam horns are starting to even things up lately for the E-Bay market and the new Horn retail market.

If a Olds Flugelhorn is what you wish. The top of the line starts with the Clark Terry/Super Star/ and then the 1960's L-12 models. When Olds and Reynolds merged in the 70's. Reynolds had a similar or same Flugelhorn also. Good luck on your search.

Forte User

The Reynolds version of an Olds L-12 was the FU-52. Although the horns were priced the same, the Reynolds had a yellow brass bell (vs. the rose brass bell of the Olds) and came in a cheesier case. I own one of each, and as far as playing qualities go, you can usually save a few bucks by opting for the Reynolds. The GR/Melk leadpipe made for the Olds horns helps with slightly better intonation, response, and warmth of tone, but the difference isn't as dramatic as it is on the older French flugelhorns - the Olds/Reynolds had better intonation already.
    The Reynolds is currently on loan to one of my granddaughter's section mates, tricked out with the GR/Melk leadpipe, heavy Harrelson trim kit, and a nice deep Wick mouthpiece - the result is a very pleasing flugel to play.
    Vintage Olds and Reynolds and Selmers, yes sir, yes sir, two gazoos full.

Aubertins, Bessons, Calicchios, Courtois, Wild Things, Marcinkiewicz, Ogilbee Thumpet, DeNicola Puje, Kanstuls, etc.

HA! So you're the other person that has a Reynolds Flugel........I knew there had to evidence of the other guy..
    I really like mine, the only thing I don't warm up to on both the Olds and this one os the cheesy valves, bottom sprung.... Don't get me wrong they work fine, I just wonder if they could have done better....
    (Above/left) Alexanders ragtime band-circa 1960

Chalmers Big and Tall midwest sales district credit card division

“ I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know. ”
    — Mark Twain
    "Strive to have enemies that define you"

Forte User

Quote Originally Posted by A.N.A. Mendez View Post
    I really like mine, the only thing I don't warm up to on both the Olds and this one os the cheesy valves, bottom sprung.... Don't get me wrong they work fine, I just wonder if they could have done better....
    Almost all my flugelhorns are bottom-sprung, even the good stuff like the Wild Thing and the Kanstul ZKF-1525. The Adams is the most notable exception, with wonderful Bauerfeind valves, top-center sprung - and the horn itself is so ugly I'm almost ashamed to be seen with it despite the way it plays. They certainly could have done better, but when the question of bottom-sprung being noisier than top-sprung came up a while back, the supporters of bottom-sprung valves emerged from hiding en masse.
    Vintage Olds and Reynolds and Selmers, yes sir, yes sir, two gazoos full.

Aubertins, Bessons, Calicchios, Courtois, Wild Things, Marcinkiewicz, Ogilbee Thumpet, DeNicola Puje, Kanstuls, etc.

I also have an Olds L-12 with the GR/Melk leadpipe. I agree with ChopsGone as to the effects of this leadpipe on the horn - it makes it better, but not perfect. I've found that using a flugel mouthpiece that's not extremely deep cures most of the intonation problems on mine. It's a decent instrument, and is certainly good enough for the limited playing I do on a flugel.

Olde Towne Brass
    www.otbrass.com

Brass Band of Huntsville
    www.brassbandofhuntsville.com

When everyone else has finished playing a piece, you should not play any notes you have left...

Quote Originally Posted by ChopsGone View Post
    Almost all my flugelhorns are bottom-sprung, even the good stuff like the Wild Thing and the Kanstul ZKF-1525. The Adams is the most notable exception, with wonderful Bauerfeind valves, top-center sprung - and the horn itself is so ugly I'm almost ashamed to be seen with it despite the way it plays. They certainly could have done better, but when the question of bottom-sprung being noisier than top-sprung came up a while back, the supporters of bottom-sprung valves emerged from hiding en masse.
    I vote we start a small (very small) club with website et al for Reynolds flugel horn aficionados .......

2 members and counting....
    (Above/left) Alexanders ragtime band-circa 1960

Chalmers Big and Tall midwest sales district credit card division

“ I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know. ”
    — Mark Twain
    "Strive to have enemies that define you"

Pianissimo User

I dont imagine the Olds Flugel would be significantly better than your Getzen. Ive had a love/hate relationship with my Olds for quite a few years.
    Love the looks,love the tone,Hate the slippery tuning and intonation.
    Laurie

I love the Olds Clark Terry, I LOVE the Olds Clark Terry, I DO LOVE the Olds CT Flugelhorn!

Did I say I love the Olds CT Flugel?
    Peter
    Schagerl - Killer Queen Flugel
    Schagerl - James Morrison
    Schlub - Dingo Trumpet (The Wildest)
    Jaeger Diamond
    Olds - Clark Terry Flugel
    Olds - Recording Trumpet
    Taylor Chicago 46 Magnum Max
    Martin Committee & a few others

Quote Originally Posted by A.N.A. Mendez View Post
    HA! So you're the other person that has a Reynolds Flugel........I knew there had to evidence of the other guy..
    Top-sprung valves are taller, and require a different (tighter) curve in the tubing going from the third valve to the bell (or a more elaborate, upward-facing shepherd's crook design). I remember reading that Flip Oakes compared the performance of the two designs and preferred the wider wrap allowed by bottom-sprung valves -- ergo, the Wild Thing flugel has bottom-sprung valves. My Calicchio flugel also has bottom-sprung valves, and I have no complaints.
    J. Notso Nieuwguyski

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information