Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Olds serial numbers? in the Equipment forums; 50's vs. 60's... After two years of playing a King Cleveland (comebacker) I want to upgrade and get an Ambassador...because ...
    New Friend

Re: Olds serial numbers?

50's vs. 60's...

After two years of playing a King Cleveland (comebacker) I want to upgrade and get an Ambassador...because no other horn in that reasonable price range of less than $300 say is mentioned so often as being a great player...

so, I want to confirm that, I guess...The ambassador, I will notice immediately the improvement? I'm a decent player with good tone and range and all that, for context...

then, are the ambassador horns from the 50's better/different than the 60's? I will not purchase anything from 1970 and newer, in my mind, cause the quality started dropping?

Quote Originally Posted by benny4540 View Post
    50's vs. 60's...

After two years of playing a King Cleveland (comebacker) I want to upgrade and get an Ambassador...because no other horn in that reasonable price range of less than $300 say is mentioned so often as being a great player...

so, I want to confirm that, I guess...The ambassador, I will notice immediately the improvement? I'm a decent player with good tone and range and all that, for context...

then, are the ambassador horns from the 50's better/different than the 60's? I will not purchase anything from 1970 and newer, in my mind, cause the quality started dropping?
    I wouldn't worry about it. My stock advice is to get two of them off ebay, keep the one that works for you the best, sell the other one. Don't forget the "Special" models which are more like the super than the Ambassador and are a great value. Good luck!
    (Above/left) Alexanders ragtime band-circa 1960

Chalmers Big and Tall midwest sales district credit card division

I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know.
    Mark Twain
    "Strive to have enemies that define you"

I picked up a 1967 Olds Ambassador Trumpet on eBay last week for $57.99 in the original case and am awaiting shipment. Unfortunately, it was returned to the sellor due to a torn shipping label (rats! ). It has been re-shipped, and I am looking forward to using it as a daily practice horn.
    JBKIRBY

1913 Conn Circus Bore Cornet
    Early 1970s Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
    1972 Olds Pinto Bb Trumpet (Weird Horn!)
    1969 Conn 38B Connstellation Bb Trumpet

I was playing once and afterwards, a little boy approached me and stated that he played the trumpet. I asked, "Do you play like I do?" and he replied, "I used to."

Quote Originally Posted by benny4540 View Post
    50's vs. 60's...

I like my 1951 LA Ambassador cornet better than my 1959 Fullerton. That said, I also have a King Cleveland cornet, and I have to say that if you're looking for immediate and obvious improvement, you won't find it just by switching over to an Ambassador. Yes, I think the Ambassadors are better than the King Clevelands. However, and I don't want to start a riot, but the difference is simply not that big. Still, if you want to buy an Ambassador just to have one, that's good enough reason to do so!
    Glen

1953 Mt. Vernon Strad 37 Cornet
    1966 Burbank Benge Eb/D
    1975 LA Benge 3x+
    1976 Strad 37*
    1978 LA Benge C
    1980 LA Benge 3x

New Friend

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I want to get much better, much faster, just by spending a little money and not working any harder this is still America.

Let me ask this a different way...Will I, in everyone's opinion, notice the difference in sound if I pull the my mouthpiece out of the King Cleveland and then play the Ambassador. What, in anyone's opinion, might i notice? totally subjective speculative possibilities welcome! In truth I'm just barely beginning to enter the trumpet world where different mouthpiece and horns and era's et al are significant enough to generate opinions and passions around them. When I was in College I just played what they told me to play I had no interest in creating my own "sound" or how you might go about it...so this is pretty fun actually getting back into it and reaching back thru the decades to different times and pulling an instrument forward to see what happens...
    Last edited by Schwab; 12-12-2009 at 10:27 AM.

Fortissimo User

OK, I will take a stab at this. As my signature indicates, I have several (!) Ambassadors as well as a King Cleveland (both trumpet and cornet). I started playing 55 years ago but only re-started 6 months ago after a 35 year layoff. I can say that after 6 months of steady practice, I am only now beginning to hear the difference in sound between different models. Actually, the difference is sound on any trumpet between the start of one of my practice sessions and the end of the session is much greater than the difference between two different makes (or different mouthpieces) according to my ears. Of course, your ears may be much better than mine and you may be able to tell the difference but if you are just starting, it really should not matter much. There is plenty of time to start tailoring your sound as you develop the basic skills. According to the 'real' players here, the sound is much more related to the player than it is to the horn/mouthpiece anyway (they call it "software" vs "hardware").

Aside from the fact that I have a nostalgic connection to Olds horns (I started on one in 1955), I find that the Olds are virtually indestructible - especially the valves. I have never seen an Olds with bad valves. Since they are not being made anymore, I just like to make sure I have a good personal collection. But, I do like my King Cleveland a lot. It is like brand new and I play it regularly, too.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

New Friend

Hi i need help!
    OLDS AMBASSADOR TRUMPET serial number 4827XX
    year?
    and skill level please?Thank you.
    Last edited by alcamus06; 06-02-2010 at 03:44 PM.

It is from 64-65. The Ambassador was marketed as a student horn, as is evident by all the posts. Your skill level will determine what you get out of it.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    ???? Elkhart Band Instrument Cornet (ELK)
    www.KalamazooconcertBand.org
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    www.PSCB.Soull.com
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

The Ambassador was a least expensive of the Old's instruments. They were built to withstand the rigors of being used by a beginning student. The quality of the build was excellent, many believe the quality of the build is equal to or better than professional horns being built today. It has medium large bore and were know for having great valve action (nickel plated). The LA horns are often considered superior to the Fullerton built horns. Because of their build quality and the tone they produce many play the Ambassador as a primary or secondary horn. If you're going to own an Olds trumpet you should really look at Olds Central (just Google it).

New Friend

Hi , i win on ebay an Old Ambassador trumpet with serial 3562xx. (86 $)
    We know age ? skill level? thank you

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information