Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Olds serial numbers? in the Equipment forums; If an Olds trumpet has a serial number of 487xxx, does that guarantee that it was made circa 1963-1964? Or ...
    Mezzo Forte User

Olds serial numbers?

If an Olds trumpet has a serial number of 487xxx, does that guarantee that it was made circa 1963-1964?

Or did the company recycle serial numbers the way that Conn did in the 1980's so that a much later Olds trumpet could also have that same serial number?

I remember reading somewhere that one company distinguished its newer trumpets from the old ones by putting an "A" on the serial number.
    Was that Olds or another company?

- Morris

Re: Olds serial numbers?

According to Kirmser, they didn't. I don't know if someone is slapping the Olds name on something nowdays. I have seen the A thing somewhere but can't recall where at the moment.

As a side note, in looking thru the Olds Central stuff there is a 1973 Olds price list for all their horns and my Cornet would have sold for $194.50, same as the trumpet. I think the Mendez was $485.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    ???? Elkhart Band Instrument Cornet (ELK)
    www.KalamazooconcertBand.org
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    www.PSCB.Soull.com
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

Mezzo Forte User

Quote Originally Posted by screamingmorris View Post
    If an Olds trumpet has a serial number of 487xxx, does that guarantee that it was made circa 1963-1964?

Or did the company recycle serial numbers the way that Conn did in the 1980's so that a much later Olds trumpet could also have that same serial number?

I remember reading somewhere that one company distinguished its newer trumpets from the old ones by putting an "A" on the serial number.
    Was that Olds or another company?

- Morris
    I think I found where I read that "A on the serial number" thing:

"Yamaha used to put an "A" in the s/n if it was a horn built (assembled?) in USA."
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f139...ers-25450.html (Yamaha Serial Numbers)

I am still worried about bidding on something if I am unsure about its age.
    The serial number says early 1960's, but the instrument looks newer in terms of the type of metal on the bell.
    If "newer" is mid-1960's I don't mind.
    But if ends up being 1970's or 1980's, I don't want it.

- Morris

When you see an A in an Olds serial it indicates it was made after October 1977 when they were making both FE Olds and Reynolds in fullerton. See that by going to the bottom on this page Lars Kirmser's Music Trader - Olds Serial Number List And there is more here F. E. Olds and Son Serial Numbers

The best way to tell if it's a 'new generation' Olds is the non LA or Fullerton city on the bell. Of course, they may have a serial that matches a classic Olds period, be careful.
    Bill

Olds Ambassador, Special, Super, Recording, Mendez, Custom Bb & C trumpets/GR Butcher 65.6M
    Olds Opera & Ambassador A6 Shepherds Crook cornets/Sparx 4B
    Olds L-12 Flugelhorn, GR/Melk Leadpipe, GR Butcher 65.6FL

Mezzo Forte User

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Canuck View Post
    When you see an A in an Olds serial it indicates it was made after October 1977 when they were making both FE Olds and Reynolds in fullerton. See that by going to the bottom on this page Lars Kirmser's Music Trader - Olds Serial Number List And there is more here F. E. Olds and Son Serial Numbers

The best way to tell if it's a 'new generation' Olds is the non LA or Fullerton city on the bell. Of course, they may have a serial that matches a classic Olds period, be careful.
    If the word "Fullerton" or "LA" is not on the bell, then it is one of the post-1979 imitations?

Thanks for the info.

- Morris
    Last edited by screamingmorris; 05-17-2008 at 03:31 PM.

I think the new "Olds" have Amado (sp?) water keys? None of the "real" Olds have that feature
    (Above/left) Alexanders ragtime band-circa 1960

Chalmers Big and Tall midwest sales district credit card division

I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know.
    Mark Twain
    "Strive to have enemies that define you"

New Friend

Hi there i really not sure how to make my way round this site yet looking for someone who may have some information on a Besson & Co cornet prototype its still in its original case and has original mouthpiece serial #96299 it is absolutly beautiful unfortunatly i relly dont play any more

Hi, Bobbie. the best way is to start a new thread and post your question under a Besson title of some sort. Is that the one on Ebay? I am keeping an eye on that one and had reported to the lister that serial number, by my list, dated it to between 1915-20, not later. They were using that type of Bell language then. Carl Fischer was the importer. Besson 's French and English histories are very tangled and murky at times. Horn-u-copia has some good info and photos and there are good French and Kanstul Besson sites, also.
    Last edited by MFfan; 05-22-2008 at 07:48 AM. Reason: spelling
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    ???? Elkhart Band Instrument Cornet (ELK)
    www.KalamazooconcertBand.org
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    www.PSCB.Soull.com
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

From what I've read on rouses, the "A" serial numbers were on the "real" olds at around 1979. In the 70's, olds was making a ton of horns, and guess that they did not want to go into the millions Your horn can't be an "A" horn, because the last "A" horn serial number was around 41000, so A41000. This info is available on rouses serial number list.
    '50 Olds Recording-Los Angeles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lognd8-4fos

New Friend

Im looking at an olds ambassador the bell says Olds Ambassador Fullerton CA.
    The owner says the S# is 9732 every place I look the numbers should be like 5 and 6 digits. Is this serial number correct?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information