Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Possible Conn Connstellation? in the Equipment forums; Hi, I found an ad on craigslist for a Conn trumpet. From the second I saw that trumpet it reminded ...

Possible Conn Connstellation?

Hi, I found an ad on craigslist for a Conn trumpet. From the second I saw that trumpet it reminded me of a connstellation. The problem is that I'm not sure if it realy is a connstellstion and worth buying. The trumpet has the first valve trigger but is missing the lever and it has the adjustable third valve ring. The trumpet is silver in color. The serial number is P87xxx which would date it to 1971. It has nothing engraved on the reciever and the bell only has the Conn name with the marching band and shooting stars. The guy wants $180 for it w/ a pro tec case.

What do you guy's think? Is it a legit Connstellation and worth buying?

Thanks

Mezzo Forte User

Re: Possible Conn Connstellation?

Quote Originally Posted by longhorn747 View Post
    Hi, I found an ad on craigslist for a Conn trumpet. From the second I saw that trumpet it reminded me of a connstellation. The problem is that I'm not sure if it realy is a connstellstion and worth buying. The trumpet has the first valve trigger but is missing the lever and it has the adjustable third valve ring. The trumpet is silver in color. The serial number is P87xxx which would date it to 1971. It has nothing engraved on the reciever and the bell only has the Conn name with the marching band and shooting stars. The guy wants $180 for it w/ a pro tec case.

Thanks
    Warning!!!!

The Connstellation models did *not* have the marching band on the bell.
    The Connstellation model actually had the word "Connstellation" on the bell, on the opposite side of the bell than is shown at and talked about at:
    The Conn Loyalist

Conn was bought out by MacMillan in 1969, and the factories were moved to Abilene, Texas and to Japan starting in 1971.
    About that time Conn actually started making student-level Conn Directors that were silver and sometimes even had first valve triggers.

Not sure exactly which model you saw, but the writing on the bell proves that it is not a Connstellation.
    And whichever model it is, the Conns made after 1969 were considered to be very much inferior to the vintage pre-1969 Conns.
    The 1970's models can be difficult to identify, because Conn stopped stamping model numbers on the mouthpiece receivers.

- Morris

lmf
    Forte User

Thanks
    You might try researching the following site as was mentioned early known as The Conn Loyalist

The Conn Loyalist

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Thanks you guys. Morris when the guy told that it only said Conn on the bell I figured that this trumpet might not be a Connstellation. But it looks just like one. So if this trumpet was actually a Connstellation for $180 would that be a good deal?

Thanks

Mezzo Forte User

Thanks you guys. Morris when the guy told that it only said Conn on the bell I figured that this trumpet might not be a Connstellation. But it looks just like one. So if this trumpet was actually a Connstellation for $180 would that be a good deal?

Thanks
    Some Conn fans have a very low opinion of the Conns made after 1969, the ones made in Abilene, Texas.
    But some other people claim that they like their post-1969 Conns.
    A real Connstellation made 1969 or before is worth $500-$1,000.

I once held a 1971 Conn Director that sounds exactly like the trumpet you are describing.
    In excellent condition it was worth about $100-$150.

Again, a real Connstellation would actually have the word "Connstellation" engraved on the side of the bell.

- Morris

Pianissimo User

A used protec case usually sells for about $75+
    A Conn Director complete with red-rot leadpipe and lots of dings routinely sells for $50+. So what do YOU think? (And where is this horn you speak of?)

Thread Information