Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss To refinish or not? in the Equipment forums; 1. 11-21-2010 05:31 PM Dr. Nic Hi All, I'm thinking about having my OLDS recording refurbished. I've had this horn ...
    New Friend

To refinish or not?

11-21-2010 05:31 PM
    Dr. Nic
    Hi All,
    I'm thinking about having my OLDS recording refurbished. I've had this horn since 1962 or 63 and it plays wonderfully. I thought I could do better with a Bach Strad model 180S37 but I've found it's not as good and does not play as well in my hands.

Can anyone help me decide whether to leave my Olds recording alone, (it plays well) or have it dedone, dings removed and refinished? It was originally done in lacquer. It was redone in the 1964 after a drunk busted it up at a fireman's ball I was playing at. This would be the second refinishing.
    I'm thinking about having it silver plated. I've heard that refinishing a horn will deter from it's sound. Is this true? Can anyone give me some advice? Can someone who is good at repairing and restoring make it even better?

Thanks,
    Dr. Nic

Re: To refinish or not?

A good overhaul can improve an instrument. Done correctly, the instrument is essentially "blueprinted," bringing the horn up to original specs. It will be disassembled and reassembled with regard for minimal tension in the braces. Refinishing includes buffing the instrument. A good tech will respect the instrument and not buff the bejesus out of it. Deep gouges or scratches will be left alone. It will be checked for excess solder in the bore and the mouthpiece reciever will be checked for proper gap. Additionally, a precision valve alignment will bring the horn to its full potential. Check Dr. Valve(Chicago), Charlie Melk(Milwaukee), Ken Larson(Michigan), Jim Beck at Osmun(Boston), Rich Ita(Atlanta), Dick Ackright(Oakland). I'm sure there are others as well.
    Last edited by Ed Kennedy; 11-21-2010 at 07:45 PM.

New Friend

Hi Ed,
    Thanks for the reply. Rich Ita is fairly close to me. The horn was originally lacquer. I was considering silver plate. What do you think?

Thanks,
    Dr. Nic

If you like silver plate and plan on keeping the horn, go for it. If you think you will ever sell it, or want it to maintain maximum value, don't...most buyers don't like silver plated Recordings. Personally, I'd have someone with a good reputation take the dings out and relacquer it.
    Olde Towne Brass
    www.otbrass.com

Brass Band of Huntsville
    www.brassbandofhuntsville.com

Bach ML 43 Bb Trumpet
    Bach L 184G Bb Short Cornet
    Bach ML 239 C Trumpet
    Besson Chicago Bore Bb Cornet
    Besson Nouveau Etoile C/Bb/A Cornet
    Conn 5A Bb Short Cornet
    Conn 6B Bb Trumpet
    Conn 9A Bb Short Cornet
    Conn 22B Bb Trumpet
    Conn 22B Bb/A Trumpet
    Conn 76A Bb Short Cornet
    Kanstul Bb Field Trumpet
    Lehnert SARV Bb Cornet
    Olds A11E Eb/D Trumpet
    Olds L12 Bb Flugelhorn

Fortissimo User Buck with a Bach's Avatar

Cool Re: To refinish or not?

+1 on the leave it in lacquer........
    Bach Artist LTD-1
    Yamaha YTR-732( now gone)
    Selman C, rose brass( ongoing experiment)

Selman Flugle( I know, it's Chinese)( Any body got a Getzen valve block I can put in this thing?)
    Conn 17A Cornet
    Bugles across America

Fortissimo User

Since it was redone once already, it's not original, so get it redone, but I agree with the others, do it in lacquer. Too many silver horns these days, be different!

Tom

Buescher Lightweight 400
    Other Buescher horns 1939--1955
    Al Cass 3X1-28 mouthpiece
    Humes and Berg mutes
    http://mmccband.org

Refurb but be sure to get a good person to do it. Mine was done by Ziggy Kanstul (who was one of the heads at Olds when it was made). He did a great job on the horn (of course that was 30 years ago). If you are the least bit insecure about who to select, consider sending it to Kanstul.
    Steve
    Olds Supers, LA (1953), Ful. (1962)
    Olds Recording, LA (1952)
    Olds Studio, LA (1953)
    Olds Special, Ful. (1964)
    Olds Ambassador, LA (1954)
    Olds Ambassador, Ful. (1973)
    Bach Strads 37-(1967, 1970, 1974, 1982)
    Bach Strad 72 MLV (1973), 72* (1982)
    Kanstul 1500 (2002), 1502 (2008), 1503 (2002)
    Kanstul 1537 (2007), 991 (2010)
    Kanstul Chicago (2000)
    King Liberty (1929,1929)
    King Liberty 2 (1938, 1944)
    King Liberty 2b (1950)
    J.H. Darby 45 USA
    Holton (Revelation) 1924
    Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn

Keep it in lacquer. And refurb the Old Girl with a good Tech... 1964 to 2010 Not bad. Who did the work last time?

Best of luck, the Recording is a nice horn.
    Cheers
    Peter
    Schagerl - Killer Queen Flugel
    Schagerl - James Morrison
    Schlub - Dingo Trumpet (The Wildest)
    Jaeger Diamond
    Olds - Clark Terry Flugel
    Olds - Recording Trumpet
    Taylor Chicago 46 Magnum Max
    Martin Committee & a few others

New Friend

Hi Ed, Dale, Buck, Steve and Peter,

Thank you all so much for your comments and advice. My old OLDS Recording actually plays well. Valves are good, really fast. Has some scrathes and small dents and the lacquer is coming off in spots. The first and second slides are stuck and have been so for years. Within the last few years, I went and bought a new Bach Strad 180S37 thinking it would play better. Started experimenting with mouth pieces and now have found that the "old girl" actually sounds and plays a lot better than the Strad. I got into that "you've got to play with a 3C or bigger" rut not realizing the the mouth piece is 80 - 90% of what comes out the other side. After experimenting I've found some mouth pieces that really make the OLDS sing but didn't make a difference in the Strad. What a dissappointment with the Strad. And to think this was the horn I always wanted to get. I grew up about 10 miles from Mt. Vernon, Vincent Bach, but in those years couldn't afford a Strad. Some one gave me a Bach Mercedes to play on gigs and it was a really good horn. Unfortunately had to give it back.

I had the horn the first time redone at the OLDS factory. I orignally pruchased it from Billy Wild a great guy and was an old family friend. He used to play on some TV show, Art Linkletter or something like that. He actually was going to give it to me but felt I should have to pay something for it to realize it's worth. He was right and it took me this long to realize it!!!

You've all been great,
    Thank you so much,

Vince

Forte User

Several good people have been mentioned. Let me add two more of the best: Robb Stewart, Mark Metzler. I've had beautiful work done by both, as well as some of the others already mentioned.
    Vintage Olds and Reynolds and Selmers, yes sir, yes sir, two gazoos full.

Aubertins, Bessons, Calicchios, Courtois, Wild Things, Marcinkiewicz, Ogilbee Thumpet, DeNicola Puje, Kanstuls, etc.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information