Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Reynolds cornet in the Equipment forums; I happened to look at the local listings. I've heard of Reynolds. It sounds like this might be a decent ...
    Pianissimo User

Reynolds cornet

I happened to look at the local listings. I've heard of Reynolds. It sounds like this might be a decent instrument if in good repair. Do you think it's worth $90? A decent instrument for a student?
    ksl.com - Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming

Fortissimo User

Re: Reynolds cornet

Hi christineka - I looked at the listing - noticed it is in Bountiful (I graduated from BHS some *mumble*mumble* years ago). It looks like a nice example although the lighting and position make it difficult to tell if there are any dings on it. The Reynolds Medalist is considered to be equivalent to the Olds Ambassador models which are excellent instruments and certainly good for a student (I started on one). They are plentiful and cornets are not as much in demand as trumpets so they sell for less but if this one has the lacquer intact (mostly) and no dents or abrasions and the valves are tight (most are) and the case is clean, then it is probably worth that amount although if you like to dicker, you could start lower.

If the student is going to participate in a school band, be sure that the director will approve of this model. When my grandson started school band, I gave him my cornet and he liked it (easier for short arms to hold) but the director wanted the students to have a trumpet with an adjustable 3rd valve so I had to give him a trumpet instead. But, otherwise, they are nice-playing instruments - both to learn on and to play seriously later on.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Thread Information