Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss RMC "L" bore Martin Committee in the Equipment forums; I'm going to try to post pics, but what do you people think of an RMC-era Committee trumpet (serial indicates ...

RMC "L" bore Martin Committee

I'm going to try to post pics, but what do you people think of an RMC-era Committee trumpet (serial indicates 1963), "L" bore, 1st slide trigger, 95% of original lacquer, and a handful of dings on the bell tail for $1,800? Seems like a good price for a large bore with the rather uncommon trigger. The catch is it's online and I won't be able to play it before I buy it...
    2006 Yamaha Xeno 8335RGS
    1987 Conn 100B "Doc Severinsen"
    1946 Conn 22B "New York Symphony"
    1927 Conn 6A cornet
    1913 Conn New Invention "Circus Bore" cornet
    Couesnon Monopole flugelhorn

Re: RMC "L" bore Martin Committee

Quote Originally Posted by operagost View Post
    I'm going to try to post pics, but what do you people think of an RMC-era Committee trumpet (serial indicates 1963), "L" bore, 1st slide trigger, 95% of original lacquer, and a handful of dings on the bell tail for $1,800? Seems like a good price for a large bore with the rather uncommon trigger. The catch is it's online and I won't be able to play it before I buy it...
    If it's the one I recently looked at, the second valve casing has an "L" beneath the serial number, but the seller indicates it is a .453 bore in the description. I would definitely clarify with the seller exactly what the bore size is.

Aside from that, I have only ever played Comittee cornets, so I can't speak to the RMC Committee trumpet. Happy hunting, though.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    *Steve*
    XO Brass 1600i
    Kanstul 1025 Chicago flugelhorn
    1953 Indiana cornet
    1989 King/UMI Silver Flair 2055T
    Holton Collegiate
    I subtracted all of my N+1s!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by operagost View Post

I looked at a few committees over the past month. If it is in good condition the price seems in the ballpark. I saw a late 40's Martin Handcraft Committee for around $1,800 but needed some work on the lead pipe as the tuning slide would not move, but otherwise good condition. Have seen some other ones that need some minor work around the same price range. The RMC's in general tend to go for a little less than the earlier ones,(40's to mid 50's) but the large bores don't seem to be as readily available. If you can't try this one, then I would at least make sure you have tried a similar one somewhere before buying as they have a different feel depending on the year and make. Good luck.
    Bach Strad 37 (1981)
    Bach Strad 239 Hybrid (BFlat)
    Olds Super Cornet (1958/9)
    Martin Troubadour (1930's)
    Millereau Flugel (early 1900's)
    Besson Intl (Kanstul)
    King Cleveland 600 - (1960's) (My 1st)

I'm guessing your "trepidation" is with the RMC heritage, yes? That is an early RMC based on my memory and some of them were good and others not as good. None of them were trash, but it is $1800. Tricky decision if there is no return policy! Dizzy played RMC Committees, just not off the shelf according to legend.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Thread Information