Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By trumpetnick
  • 1 Post By veery715
  • 1 Post By tyleman
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Selmer,paris,pre modified or K modified, in the Equipment forums; Hi All,been thinking about a selmer,paris,nice horns,is better for a pre modified or K moded version,with or without the third ...
    New Friend

Selmer,paris,pre modified or K modified,

Hi All,been thinking about a selmer,paris,nice horns,is better for a pre modified or K moded version,with or without the third trigger,
    some on here have said the k mods were not as good as the pre moded versions,i know theres an issue with the mouth pieces but can be got around,
    Any thoughts,and was the grand prix a far superior model,Help please,thanks all Paul

Re: Selmer,paris,pre modified or K modified,

Well...the way I see it, it is very much personal. Me for example, I like very much the TT leadpipe horns, which are not that "old". Others like the K modified. You need to have a go at them. We cannot tell you what shoes to wear, can we?
    Sidekick and True Tone like this.

Amara Music Academy
    Go on vacation, learn to play an instrument
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Never played a Selmer I didn't like, but I am fond of my k-mod. Still, the best was a Sigma from just a few years ago. It's a subjective experience - what works is what works.
    True Tone likes this.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

Piano User

Well I own a Selmer Paris made in 1952, definitely pre k-mod. I can tell you that the early Selmer is a great horn and plays and sounds like a dream, but I have never played a k-mod so I really can not comment, other than to say that I had a friend who played one and he seemed pretty happy with it.
    Manchester Brass Custom ( ACB ) RL-GB Bb Trumpet
    1952 Selmer Paris 21 Trumpet
    Bach TR300H2 Trumpet
    MPs: Curry 50TC , Bach 3C , 7C , Manchester 3C, Bach 10 1/2C and 10 1/2A

Just got my Selmer Depose stamped 20 Trumpet 1955 which is was built during the early K-Mod era I think, but has the French reciever and is NOT a K-Mod and not a pre K-mod (grand prix).

I know many people have their opinions on the differences between the older and the K-Mod but unless you're talking about the pre war grand prixs without the tone ring on the bell "flare" area, the grand prixs and the K-Mods should play similarly, maybe the K-Mods have just a little more free blowing build in the leadpipe. Some people prefer the tighter resistant blow in the non-kmods and some prefer them to be a bit more "free blowing".

All I can say about my Selmer Paris 20, is that it is a unique creature, a complex sound all by itself and will scream if you push it, great valve slotting, intonation is great some notes 1 or 2 are a bit flat but it is really easy to adjust with the lips, no trumpet is perfect in that area.

Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by Efig View Post
    Just got my Selmer Depose stamped 20 Trumpet 1955 which is was built during the early K-Mod era I think, but has the French reciever and is NOT a K-Mod and not a pre K-mod (grand prix).
    All I can say about my Selmer Paris 20, is that it is a unique creature, a complex sound all by itself and will scream if you push it, great valve slotting, intonation is great some notes 1 or 2 are a bit flat but it is really easy to adjust with the lips, no trumpet is perfect in that area.
    Sounds like the 20 is somewhat identical to the 21. Very responsive, and as you said, it will scream if you push it. In my case, if I play it when my lips are tired, it lets me know in a hurry. But I tell you, I love this horn.
    Bach TR300H2 Trumpet

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
    Sounds like the 20 is somewhat identical to the 21. Very responsive, and as you said, it will scream if you push it. In my case, if I play it when my lips are tired, it lets me know in a hurry. But I tell you, I love this horn.
    It is probably identical, as my horn is a .456 bore but yours must be rarer becuase it was silverplated at the factory, really special trumpet, it's what I would truly call an "artist's horn". I agree, if my lips are tired, the notes will be somewhat stuffy. Must be played with focus and finnese!

About the only way to tell is to try both a K-mod and a pre K-mod. There will also be bore size variations, too. Neither is superior to the other.

My experience is mostly with the cornets, but I find that my medium bore K-mod plays more open than my pre-WWII, pre K-mod cornet, and they are the same bore size but the wrap is different.
    True Tone likes this.

Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by Efig View Post
    It is probably identical, as my horn is a .456 bore but yours must be rarer becuase it was silverplated at the factory, really special trumpet, it's what I would truly call an "artist's horn". I agree, if my lips are tired, the notes will be somewhat stuffy. Must be played with focus and finnese!
    Yeah I believe the silver plating may have something to do with the sound I am getting, too. That silver plating done at the factory must have been a real good job because there is hardly any sign of wear on my horn. I also understand that lead pipe is nickel and silver and it is clean as a whistle inside.
    Bach TR300H2 Trumpet

Thread Information