Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss special olds trumpet..1st tuning slide? in the Equipment forums; I love this horn..great tone intonation is pretty good..though could anyone help me I would like to attach a 1st ...
    New Friend

Cool special olds trumpet..1st tuning slide?

I love this horn..great tone intonation is pretty good..though could anyone help me I would like to attach a 1st tuning slide..can anyone tell me where I can get a appropraite trigger to attach to 1st slide to tune better. love my horn but want to be able to tune the normal notes that have problems through range.I think I could solder a lyre holder and use a 3rd tuning slide finger rod..or a getzen style off trigger ? any ideas?please help..

Fortissimo User

Re: special olds trumpet..1st tuning slide?

Quote Originally Posted by sobblaster View Post
    I love this horn..great tone intonation is pretty good..though could anyone help me I would like to attach a 1st tuning slide..can anyone tell me where I can get a appropraite trigger to attach to 1st slide to tune better. love my horn but want to be able to tune the normal notes that have problems through range.I think I could solder a lyre holder and use a 3rd tuning slide finger rod..or a getzen style off trigger ? any ideas?please help..
    There is no standard for such a mod. Any of the approaches that you mentioned could work. It is just a matter of the easiest way and what parts are available. Some of the other Olds models such as the SuperStar came with the bracket/saddle on the first slide but they have the long outer pipe on the first slide. The Special has the short crook with the inner pipes connected so there is no place to solder the bracket unless you reverse the upper pipe of the first slide. A trigger could work but it would involve locating a trigger mechanism and then figuring out out to anchor the lever to the valve casing and modifying the throw rod to connect to the inner section of the crook. So, it will require some engineering regardless of which way you decide to go.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

New Friend

thanks comebackkid..I guess it is going to be hard anyway I look at it..the other thing is a really don't want to reck the horn so whatever way I go I will tread carefully..I wish the original olds factory was still in producing these great horns...I can only dream..I have a constillation as well so I can always use this instead..

Piano User

I had a shop put a trigger mechanism on a different model horn. The cost of the trigger parts was $85.00 and he charged me an additional $90.00 to install it. Total cost was $175.00. The mod worked fine and looked great. On another horn I had a tech unsolder the top tubing from the 1st valve slide and the top tube rom the 1st valve. The then soldered the valve tube onto the sldie and vice-versa. He soldered a thumb sling onto the slide and all worked well and looked good for $75.00 total. It is doable. It just depends on how much you want to pay and what you need.
    Rob,
    King Liberty SilverTone (3)
    King Liberty (7) Super 20 (2)
    Conn Vocabell 40A - 40B - 80A (6) - 81A (1) - 38A Victor (2) - 22B - 16B, 12B Coprion bell
    Getzen Tone Balanced Super Deluxe
    Holton French LeBlanc (1) - Al Hirt 550
    Olds Studio (1) - Special (1)
    Besson 10-10

New Friend

thanks
    Last edited by sobblaster; 03-24-2010 at 04:04 PM.

New Friend

Cool Re: special olds trumpet..1st tuning slide?

thanks for excellent info..I do you have a the company's name email contact as in aus there isn't the huge range of repairers with all those special parts..I have been just looking at another special with a thumb saddle allready attached..If I can purchase it hopfully its the same sizing and I can just use its 1st slide on this horn.

Fortissimo User

Are you absolutely sure you need it? The first slide on these older horns is actually longer than horns that have a tuning aid. The notes were meant to be within the "lip it in" range.

I don't know how long you've had this horn but you might want to spend some more time with it.

Tom

Buescher Lightweight 400
    Other Buescher horns 1939--1955
    Al Cass 1-28 mouthpiece
    Humes and Berg mutes
    http://mmccband.org

New Friend

thanks for your reply..I am actually a doubler tripler..mm play most instruments in a gig some times alto sax clarinet flute trumpet french horn trombone ...and I probably need as much help as I can..sorry to say I am not a full pro trumpeter only can play to D high on a good day...sorry to disapoint..thanks for comments will sit down with tuner

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by sobblaster View Post
    thanks for excellent info..I do you have a the company's name email contact as in aus there isn't the huge range of repairers with all those special parts.
    Where abouts in Aus are you, I carry a pretty decent range of parts

New Friend

thanks post...sydney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information