Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Stuffy/leaky horn! in the Equipment forums; Working on a high end Olds with issues in the tune slide/crook area, leaking air after re-soldering the two inner ...

Stuffy/leaky horn!

Working on a high end Olds with issues in the tune slide/crook area, leaking air after re-soldering the two inner pipes onto the crook. Blow in one end, hold finger over other end PSSSSST leaking air..
    Replace water key cork.... Still leaking badly..... (mutter bad words)

Hmmmmmmmm.

Attach 1 foot hose to one end, cork on other end, submerge in water..... Blow

Ah Ha! air leaking around little pad that has raised hole for water key pad..... Look close, its up and un-attached on one end. Remove and examine, crud city, been leaking for many years which may be why it was put in closet and not played much.Clean to bare metal, re-solder, Ta Da ! Tight like a tiger.......

Moral: Never give up on a stuffy horn.

MFfan, tobylou8, Churchman and 3 others like this.
    " It's a dog eat dog world out there and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear" Norm Peterson "Cheers"

"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up" Lilly Tomlin

Re: Stuffy/leaky horn!

My Ganter V8 became stuffy from one moment to the other... turned out to be a very small leak just behind the 1st valve saddle, just where the valve slide joins the valve...

A great story, and a happy ending.

I'd take my leaky horn to my Tech. Replacing a cork is about my limit of fixing. I'd avoid the raised blood pressure, increased stress and anxiety, and the sleepless nights. Leave it with my tech and pick it up next week, ahh the stress of the drive to the tech is also about my limit.

I really do admire persistence and problem solving skills you guys have. I have neither - so rely on others with that expertise to help me.
    Sidekick likes this.
    Peter

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

Well, just do everything imaginable to (and sometime wreck ) 300 cheaper horns, you are half way there!
    " It's a dog eat dog world out there and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear" Norm Peterson "Cheers"

Pianissimo User

I purchased a pretty beat-up 1964 Olds Mendez trumpet a while back. Sounded pretty stuffy, so I took it to my repair tech to check the compression, since the valves showed a fair amount of wear. A test showed that it had under a quarter pound of pressure, so I sent it in for a rebuild. Got it back about a month later, and if anything, it sounded even stuffier. So back in the closet it went.

I took it out a few weeks ago and removed all of the valves and slides and cleaned it out with warm, soapy water, then rinsed, dried, oiled and put everything back together. Found that I couldn't hit any notes with it.

So, I got looking down the bell with a flashlight. Far, far down in the bell was a rusty cleaning brush. I managed to get it extracted, and the trumpet plays like a champ. Fun.

Wow! I've been there too!, a brush, a lizard (from AZ.), a finger button.........and a small screwdriver! OY
    King Leopardi and True Tone like this.

Water key leaks aren't as bad as tuning slide leaks.....

Quote Originally Posted by King Leopardi View Post
    I purchased a pretty beat-up 1964 Olds Mendez trumpet a while back. Sounded pretty stuffy, so I took it to my repair tech to check the compression, since the valves showed a fair amount of wear. A test showed that it had under a quarter pound of pressure, so I sent it in for a rebuild. Got it back about a month later, and if anything, it sounded even stuffier. So back in the closet it went.

I took it out a few weeks ago and removed all of the valves and slides and cleaned it out with warm, soapy water, then rinsed, dried, oiled and put everything back together. Found that I couldn't hit any notes with it.

So, I got looking down the bell with a flashlight. Far, far down in the bell was a rusty cleaning brush. I managed to get it extracted, and the trumpet plays like a champ. Fun.
    There are clearly a lot of techs who aren't players. I couldn't send a horn back like that. I'd have to at least call them, and ask if they want me to diagnose the other problem.
    2006 Yamaha Xeno 8335RGS
    1987 Conn 100B "Doc Severinsen"
    1946 Conn 22B "New York Symphony"
    1927 Conn 6A cornet
    1913 Conn New Invention "Circus Bore" cornet
    Couesnon Monopole flugelhorn

You know...

I have never tried to play a tiger before. Not sure I would want to try blowing in either end! Though I am curious as to how our OP came about this knowledge.

Just sayin..

Unless of course he was refering to a tiger trumpet. Though as far as comparisons go that would not be that high of a standard.

Goldmember

"Tight like a tiger" https://youtu.be/gu31VyXlTzo

Smoke and a pancake.....
    Peter McNeill likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information