Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Super Olds Trumpet in the Equipment forums; So I have a Super Olds Trumpet that was my late husbands and I am looking for some information. So ...
    New Friend

Super Olds Trumpet

So I have a Super Olds Trumpet that was my late husbands and I am looking for some information. So far I have found what appears to be the serial number on the middle valve. Serial number is 530171. Near as I can tell it is a late 1960's early 1970's. It had the Fullerton, California USA stamped on the bell along with the words Super Olds By F E Olds and Son. Is the information I have found accurate so far and if so does anyone have any idea what this would be worth? Thank you in advance for the feedback.

Re: Super Olds Trumpet

Condition is everything, especisll the valves and compression., where do you live? A good tech could check it out for you.... Without seeing it $200-800.00
    BrassBandMajor and True Tone like this.
    " It's a dog eat dog world out there and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear" Norm Peterson "Cheers"

"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up" Lilly Tomlin

New Friend

IMG_8365.jpgIMG_8366.jpgIMG_8368.jpgIMG_8381.jpgIMG_8385.jpg
    Here are some pictures of it. It has been well loved!
    Sturmbill and True Tone like this.

New Friend

I am located in Mesa, AZ. From what I can tell all works well. I am a Flute player however I am able to play this trumpet. Valves work great.

From the serial number, and if the list on horn-u-copia is accurate, it should have been made around September
    On a personal note, I have a Special myself, and this is truly a very special trumpet. I just love it.
    I've learned here, on this site, how to test the compression of the valves, so I'll pass it on. Remove the 1st valve slide, depress all valve, and blow. If there is an air leak, you'll know...
    BrassBandMajor and True Tone like this.
    http://www.nojazzfest.com

Sunday, April 30 at 1:00pm under the Gospel Tent

New Friend

Awesome I will test the compression on it tomorrow! I am probably going to try to sell it as I have no use for it and my children do not want it either. Unfortunately the memories are to hard for all of us!

Hi Wermersj,

My condolences on your loss.
    The horn looks to be in reasonable shape, and Ebay or Craigslist would be the best to use to move it. I would think between $600 to $800 would be a quick sale. If you can give it a clean, even just clean and oil the valves, and remove and clean the slides, and lubricate the slides with minimal Vaseline just to prove they all pull out. A picture of it dismantled on Ebay can be a useful way to show all comes out.

Is there any musician friend of your husband that could help you? That is always a nice way, if you trust the person.
    The horn itself is a good quality horn, and still used in Big Band, and has a huge sound, so there will be someone looking to find one of these.
    Sturmbill, True Tone and Wermersj like this.
    Peter

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Wermersj View Post
    Awesome I will test the compression on it tomorrow! I am probably going to try to sell it as I have no use for it and my children do not want it either. Unfortunately the memories are to hard for all of us!
    Great memories, but if you sell the Olds Super, let the buyer know the history. Trumpets are meant to be played and I'm sure your husband would appreciate this as a trumpet player. Talked to someone this evening and he mentioned that sometimes trumpets take on the resonance of the person who played them and actually sound better if played well. It's a gift to the next generation. Thoughts are with you and Best wishes for the New Year.
    Bach Strad 37 (1981)
    Bach Strad 239 Hybrid (BFlat)
    Olds Super Cornet (1958/9)
    Martin Troubadour (1930's)
    Millereau Flugel (early 1900's)
    Besson Intl (Kanstul)
    King Cleveland 600 - (1960's) (My 1st)

Quote Originally Posted by Strobe View Post
    Great memories, but if you sell the Olds Super, let the buyer know the history. Trumpets are meant to be played and I'm sure your husband would appreciate this as a trumpet player. Talked to someone this evening and he mentioned that sometimes trumpets take on the resonance of the person who played them and actually sound better if played well. It's a gift to the next generation. Thoughts are with you and Best wishes for the New Year.
    Yep, it's like saying that a crude piece of metal starts to be a piece of art when put in the hands of an artist, and then the metal begins to soak up intonations, moods and feelings. It becomes the extension of the player, its instrument to interpret not to perform. (Remember that, young players, don't perform, interpret) . When put on a shelf, it is up to the next player to revive all these emotions left in there, like for a magic lamp that needs to be polished to let appear the genie inside.

Thinking about it, I wonder why I only play vintage instruments. Hmmm!????
    http://www.nojazzfest.com

Sunday, April 30 at 1:00pm under the Gospel Tent

New Friend

Thank you all for the information! I will clean it up and see if I can find a buyer to love this trumpet! You guys have been great with all the information! Thank you again!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information