Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Super Pan American Trumpet in the Equipment forums; Do super pan americans sound good? My usual trumpet is broken, so I'm borrowing a regular student pan american from ...
    New Friend

Super Pan American Trumpet

Do super pan americans sound good? My usual trumpet is broken, so I'm borrowing a regular student pan american from the school, and I think it sounds great. Do super pan american sound even better? I'm thinking of getting one soon. \

Thanks guys!

Re: Super Pan American Trumpet

Pan American was designed and costed as an entry level student line for Conn. Among the teachers I know who inherited them in school inventories they have a reputation for lasting forever, but typically sounding pretty bad (even when new). These were made cheaply enough to be sold for stencil to stores and small makers, but the fact that they sold so well suggests that they were not awful. My own experience is that the brand plays poorly, but you never know when you may come across a good one, or a great one.

In the end, nothing matters except how it works for you. The horn and the player, each unique, combine to either work well, or not. So, I don't think model is of much significance in this case, rather it is fit. You just have to try it.
    Last edited by OldSchoolEuph; 12-13-2016 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Ipad #+^#^% autocorrect
    True Tone likes this.
    Trumpet: 2000 Xeno 8335RGS, 1927 Conn 22B NYS, 2009 Bach MLV 72G (25)
    Euphonium: 1965 Besson baritone, 1975 Yamaha YEP-321, 1985 YEP-621
    Trombone: 1975 Olds Recording R-20
    MP: Schilke 17d4d & 53

www.trumpet-history.com

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolEuph View Post
    Pan American was designed and costed as an entry level student line for Conn. Among the teachers I know who inherited them in school inventories they have a reputation for lasting forever, but typically sounding pretty bad (even when new). These were made cheaply enough to be sold for stencil to stores and small makers, but the fact that they sold so well suggests that they were not awful. My own experience is that the brand plays poorly, but you never know when you may come across a good one, or a great one.

In the end, nothing matters except how it works for you. The horn and the player, each unique, combine to either work well, or not. So, I don't think model is of much significance in this case, rather it is fit. You just have to try it.
    Thanks for the reply! Imo, vintage trumpets sound pretty good in general, but you made a good point.

Has anyone here had any experience with super pan americans, or pan americans in general?

There was an earlier thread on either here or the oTHer site about someone inquiring about the same horn. This "Super" Pan American is probably a rare "intermediate" trumpet as opposed to the regular Pan American student horn. I saw the pictures of it. a good mix of nickle silver and brass, it should play well.

I have a Pan American Trumpet from 1948. It seems to be a little quirky with the intonation with the 2nd and 3rd valves at the Eb, or the Ab above the staff. It is VERY flat and gets this unusual vibration. You really have to lip it up to keep from dropping the note and to get rid of the vibration. Other than that......
    -Consordino-

-CORNETS-
    c. 1900 LeCompte & Cie. Eb Soprano Cornet

1912 Buescher
    192x Gray-Maw, San Diego, CA
    192x Sterling Long
    1947 Pan American 58A
    1965 Conn 15A
    1975 Selmer Bundy

-TRUMPETS-

1948 Pan American 58B
    1973 King Silver Flair
    198x Bach Liberty
    1987 Jupiter 416 Pocket
    2009 Berkeley D/Eb
    2010 Selman C
    200x Amati ATR 382 Piccolo

-FLUGELHORNS-

2007 Berkeley

New Friend

So, I ended up buying this one.
    Vintage 1951 Pan American Rare "Super" Model Trumpet - Division of C.G. Conn | eBay
    does it look alright?

I figured you were talking about that one, just get a good repair tech for some of those dings and dents and this trumpet should play great. Not to mention it is quite rare.

IMHO, Conn came close to perfecting the student instrument with the Directors (especially the Coprions) and those blow the Pan American stuff away.
    ConnDirectorFan and True Tone like this.
    2006 Yamaha Xeno 8335RGS
    1987 Conn 100B "Doc Severinsen"
    1946 Conn 22B "New York Symphony"
    1927 Conn 6A cornet
    1913 Conn New Invention "Circus Bore" cornet

New Friend

So the trumpet arrived in the mail today - a great horn! Spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out how to open the "lock" on the case, only to realize that it was just a fake one.

Were these super pan ams modeled after the 22B New York Symphony? I saw a listing on craigslist for one for about $800

Quote Originally Posted by ThatJuan View Post
    So the trumpet arrived in the mail today - a great horn! Spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out how to open the "lock" on the case, only to realize that it was just a fake one.

Were these super pan ams modeled after the 22B New York Symphony? I saw a listing on craigslist for one for about $800
    No no no, the pan Americans were the old student line from what I learned and what you have in your hands is a pretty rare intermediate version. It looks good with that nickel silver on it. Probably plays pretty well too for the price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information