Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss U.S. Bandmaster? in the Equipment forums; New here. Did a search but didn't find, so hoping someone can shed some light. I have a U.S. Bandmaster ...
    New Friend

U.S. Bandmaster?

New here. Did a search but didn't find, so hoping someone can shed some light. I have a U.S. Bandmaster horn with a serial number 6xxx, and it says "made in Italy" on the same valve area where I found the serial. Behind the name u.s. Bandmaster there's a sort of map of the USA
    Can anyone tell me about it? Thanks in advance!!

Re: U.S. Bandmaster?

There is info on Horn-u-copia that US Bandmaster was a model sold by Sears Roebuck, seen in their 1937 catalog. There seems to be several makers , including Conn and imports, that used the Bandmaster name at one time or another.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    ???? Elkhart Band Instrument Cornet (ELK)
    www.KalamazooconcertBand.org
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    www.PSCB.Soull.com
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

New Friend

Thank you very much, Dave - I'll check out the site. My dad, who passed away a few years ago, used to play clarinet and sax, and rarely a trumpet -- I saw this one at a garage sale and picked it up partly because it reminded me of him, and the case looked like around that vintage (late 30s, early 40s) to me

I have a friend who plays a little bit now, and I'd like to give it to him but wanted to find out more about it first, so thanks for your help.

p.

New Friend

Just wanted to note - I saw a cornet on eBay just now listed as "U.S. Bandmaster" and the engraving in the image looked similar to what is on mine, but it has more words (a model name I think). The pages of the Sears catalog 1937 say "bandmaster" but not "u.s. bandmaster" so I think it must be different.

You are probably right. Several retailers apparently used the name Bandmaster or US Bandmaster for student instruments back then. It is likely a "stencil", made to contract for a US retailer, dealer or importer, as was common for many years. The HUC info was the only sketchy material I could find. I have seen the ebay one, which is apparently a German made one, which adds to the mystery. It is possible for whoever contracted for these instruments could have done so, but who knows.
    I looks like one of those many "stencil" mystery horns that will be hard to solve. That Ebay one looks to be a nice one, but not worth $299 to start.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    ???? Elkhart Band Instrument Cornet (ELK)
    www.KalamazooconcertBand.org
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    www.PSCB.Soull.com
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

Fortissimo User

I have one of those 1937 Sears horns, a Supertone Bandmaster trumpet. It's possible that it was made by the Elkhart Band Instrumnet Company, and it is marked Elkhart Ind.

It isn't the best-playing horn I've ever used.

Tom

Buescher Lightweight 400
    Other Buescher horns 1939--1955
    Al Cass 1-28 mouthpiece
    Humes and Berg mutes
    http://mmccband.org

Thread Information