Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss what do you call that bit between MP and receiver on old cornet (and do I need it)? in the Equipment forums; Another cornet newbie question from a former string player! What do you call the adapter(?) thingy between the mouthpiece and ...
    New Friend

what do you call that bit between MP and receiver on old cornet (and do I need it)?

Another cornet newbie question from a former string player!

What do you call the adapter(?) thingy between the mouthpiece and leadpipe on an old cornet? I picked up a cheap old York for my kid to play (or for me to play with, although I don't play...) and this bit is pretty trashed although the rest of the cornet is decent. If the piece is just for playing in A, no problem. But do I need it for Bb? (I do have the HP and LP tuning slides so I'm good there.)

After I washed and lubed it and stuck the MP in without the thingy, the kid played me a scale that was beautifully in tune (with itself), put it down, said it was easier to play than the student horn, and walked off to play video games. I won't be turning my elementary school band student loose with this cornet anytime soon. Too pretty. But I want it functional!

Please...tell me what that thing is called!

Thanks!!

New Friend

Re: what do you call that bit between MP and receiver on old cornet (and do I need it

I've heard them called B Flat, etc. lead pipes (even though they fit into the main lead pipe). On Ebay uninformed sellers call them (along with extra tuning slides) "bits and pieces" . Sounds like a cool old horn. Have fun!
    Bach Strad 37 (1981)
    Bach Strad 239 Hybrid (BFlat)
    Olds Super Cornet (1958/9)
    Martin Troubadour (1930's)
    Millereau Flugel (early 1900's)
    Besson Intl (Kanstul)
    King Cleveland 600 - (1960's) (My 1st)

Re: what do you call that bit between MP and receiver on old cornet (and do I need it

Do you mean the receiver?
    Attention:
    Constant N+1 & N-1 in progress

This message was created using 100% recycled electrons.

If the York is a Monarch model, I call them a leadpipe shank. There is a short ~3 inches for Bb and a long ~6 inches for A. If your talking about the little one inch bit, it is used to help tune a little. Dependent on what the tuning pitch of the day when the horn was made. They have little purpose now. The two tuning slides were HP and LP. Yorks are very fun and nice horns. I have a few, to say the least.

Things to know are... They are set up for a 2" mouthpiece not the modern 2-1/2". So you might need to get a short shank modern or just deal with what you can find or came with the horn.

I find I have tune mine towards the concert C. (First valve D). The horns sometimes are a bit long on the first valve ( also depends if you have the HP and LP valve slides. I like the HP for that reason)

If you can find or have a York and sons couturier #10 MP, they are wonderful MP in my opinion.
    Dennis78 and True Tone like this.
    Rotary:
    93 Martain Peter Bb, Markneukirchen Germany

Trumpet:
    91 Bach Strad 72 (stolen from me in 1997) still looking for Serial 366846
    97 Bach Strad 72 sterling plus
    24 Lyon and Healy couturier conical trumpet
    47 York Feather Touch Master
    52 York Super Custom

Cornet:
    03 York Monarch
    07 York Professional
    11 York Al-Tru
    18 E.A. Coururier connical bore
    22 C.G. Conn Victor 80A new wonder with mechanism

They are actually called tuning bits. Lots of old cornets used them for key change.
    Getting it done these days with a cr310 and a very old Holton

Here is a picture

Rotary:
    93 Martain Peter Bb, Markneukirchen Germany

Trumpet:
    91 Bach Strad 72 (stolen from me in 1997) still looking for Serial 366846
    97 Bach Strad 72 sterling plus
    24 Lyon and Healy couturier conical trumpet
    47 York Feather Touch Master
    52 York Super Custom

Cornet:
    03 York Monarch
    07 York Professional
    11 York Al-Tru
    18 E.A. Coururier connical bore
    22 C.G. Conn Victor 80A new wonder with mechanism

I figured the 1" bit to be for C but I don't know from experience or anything
    Getting it done these days with a cr310 and a very old Holton

Piano User

I always call them crooks, they are necessary or the instrument wont play in tune, they use a different receiver size on the instrument end than the cornet receiver on the mouthpiece end if that makes sense.

I have no idea for sure if crooks from one cornet would fit another, but I imagine they wont, unless its the same model or manufacturer maybe.

I would approach a tech on this issue, he should be able to fabricate a replacement or repair the original.
    If you can play Jazz you can Razzamatazz, But if you can play sweet you can always eat.

Conn 80A Cornet May 1952
    Boosey and Hawkes Emperor Trumpet September 1955
    Selmer Student Trumpet September 1943
    Comet Pea shooter Trumpet Unknown build date probably 1950

New Friend

Thanks all. I have a better clue of what I should be looking at. Unfortunately the case is too degraded to be able to tell what it came with originally so I don't know how many of these (if any) I'm missing. The bit is about 2 1/8" long with one end chewed up so I don't know if it was longer. The mouthpiece is an AL-TRU like Faulken shows and it does seem to fit into the instrument directly. Is it possible that it would work correctly like that?

I guess it's time for me to actually get a tuning gizmo thing and see what it's actually playing... :)

Thanks!

I've always called the straight ones "bits" and the curled ones "crooks". They were removable to let you play the horn in different keys depending on which one you selected. Of course, for some keys you also needed extra slides to accomplish this. Most of the really short bits I've seen have been mouthpiece adapters.
    faulken and Dennis78 like this.
    Olde Towne Brass
    www.otbrass.com

Brass Band of Huntsville
    www.brassbandofhuntsville.com

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information