Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss what is the holy grail of vintage cornet, trumpet or flugelhorn collecting? in the Equipment forums; As I have mentioned in another post and I got flamed for it, I have been starting to collect cornets. ...
    New Friend

what is the holy grail of vintage cornet, trumpet or flugelhorn collecting?

As I have mentioned in another post and I got flamed for it, I have been starting to collect cornets. I bought a Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn and love it. But I tried a Yamaha Bobby Shew and it had a very different feel and sound. But I don't want to spend another couple of thousand for a flugelhorn. I have a getzen serverinsen Eterna about 71 model. I really like it. But in that I have wanted a brass strad. In looking at those I found that New York are the most desired.

I rented my daughter a cornet and she loved it, so I have bought her two a Holton Super Collegiate and a Conn Connquest to take back and forth to school. I'm thinking of buying my nephew a Holton Collegiate. What is the difference between Collegiate and Super Collegiate. He is also having problems with the new Getzen his Dad bought him and paid $900 for. His Dad didn't ask me for advice,just what kind of trumpet I owned, so he bought a new student Getzen on sale for $900. I think the cornet will work the best for him, I paid under $100.

So I now have a 57' Holton Super Collegiate, Holton Collegiate, 67' King Silversonic non master model, 56" Conn Director with Coprian Bell. A Conn conquest, A Buescher 400 Cornet. and trying for a Holton Clarke cornet. In less than a month I went from 1 trumpet to one trumpet, flugelhorn and 7 cornets. I have no plan on what I am buying. It's just that my wife says I have OCD and I would agree to a certain extant.

Now to the main question. If there something in particular I should be on the hunt for. I have thought of just going one brand or just the top of the line of a number of brands. I was seriously considering a ready made set of 4 olds cornets for $2900. Seems to defeat the purpose of the hunt.

I love these instruments, but it would be nice if I could focus in and find some specific objects to focus in and search for. I don't have the time to go out to pawn shops and thrift stores very often and Saturday garage sales are also difficult. I would love to hear what you folks consider the holy grails of the vintage, trumpet, cornet and flugelhorn worlds. I have found that I like nice and shiny. Even if they are completely restored.
    THanks for your thoughts.

Re: what is the holy grail of vintage cornet, trumpet or flugelhorn collecting?

If I were serious cornet collector (I am not, not serious) I think that I had to have a Couturier cornet, an all conical cornet. They are no "holy grail" in terms of price or rareness, but I would think that my collcetion was missing something if it did not contain it.

If your are talking rare, pricy and odd, I guess the York Airflow is one thing to consider or the mini King Liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by jefan View Post
    As I have mentioned in another post and I got flamed for it, I have been starting to collect cornets. I bought a Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn and love it. But I tried a Yamaha Bobby Shew and it had a very different feel and sound. But I don't want to spend another couple of thousand for a flugelhorn. I have a getzen serverinsen Eterna about 71 model. I really like it. But in that I have wanted a brass strad. In looking at those I found that New York are the most desired.

I rented my daughter a cornet and she loved it, so I have bought her two a Holton Super Collegiate and a Conn Connquest to take back and forth to school. I'm thinking of buying my nephew a Holton Collegiate. What is the difference between Collegiate and Super Collegiate. He is also having problems with the new Getzen his Dad bought him and paid $900 for. His Dad didn't ask me for advice,just what kind of trumpet I owned, so he bought a new student Getzen on sale for $900. I think the cornet will work the best for him, I paid under $100.

So I now have a 57' Holton Super Collegiate, Holton Collegiate, 67' King Silversonic non master model, 56" Conn Director with Coprian Bell. A Conn conquest, A Buescher 400 Cornet. and trying for a Holton Clarke cornet. In less than a month I went from 1 trumpet to one trumpet, flugelhorn and 7 cornets. I have no plan on what I am buying. It's just that my wife says I have OCD and I would agree to a certain extant.

Now to the main question. If there something in particular I should be on the hunt for. I have thought of just going one brand or just the top of the line of a number of brands. I was seriously considering a ready made set of 4 olds cornets for $2900. Seems to defeat the purpose of the hunt.

I love these instruments, but it would be nice if I could focus in and find some specific objects to focus in and search for. I don't have the time to go out to pawn shops and thrift stores very often and Saturday garage sales are also difficult. I would love to hear what you folks consider the holy grails of the vintage, trumpet, cornet and flugelhorn worlds. I have found that I like nice and shiny. Even if they are completely restored.
    That Olds cornet collection on ebay looks nice but a little high price wise.Get an Ambassador cornet off ebay, better yet get 2, they are reasonable and try both for a while, sell the one you like least.reasonable way to start your adventure...before you know it you will own an Olds super recording!
    (Above/left) Alexanders ragtime band-circa 1960

Chalmers Big and Tall midwest sales district credit card division

I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know.
    Mark Twain
    "Strive to have enemies that define you"

Conn Victor (80A, etc.)
    King Master Model Silvertone/Silversonic
    Olds Special
    Olds Ambassador 6A

These are ones I'm aware of that are worthy of collection, if you have a mind to spend the $$$.
    Glen

1953 Mt. Vernon Strad 37 Cornet
    1966 Burbank Benge Eb/D
    1975 LA Benge 3x+
    1976 Strad 37*
    1978 LA Benge C
    1980 LA Benge 3x

.... nephew .... . He is also having problems with the new Getzen his Dad bought him and paid $900 for. His Dad didn't ask me for advice,just what kind of trumpet I owned, so he bought a new student Getzen on sale for $900. .......
    Sorry that I don't have an answer for the main question, but the Getzen has a warranty if purchased new - that should be followed up.
    Ted
    Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

I rented my daughter a cornet and she loved it, so I have bought her two a Holton Super Collegiate and a Conn Connquest to take back and forth to school...
    ...I would love to hear what you folks consider the holy grails of the vintage, trumpet, cornet and flugelhorn worlds. I have found that I like nice and shiny. Even if they are completely restored.
    So, what do you think of the Connquest cornet? I bought a pretty nice one (a '69 model) on eBay a few months ago and it's a surprisingly easy horn to play.

As far as Holy Grail trumpets go, I'd say some of the most common picks would be early Mt. Vernon Bachs, the Olds Recording, the Conn Connstellation, the Selmer Balanced, and the Martin Committee. I'm sure I've left out someone's favorite, and there are many more great ones I've not named. Bottom line is, what does the grail horn do for you? I've owned one and tried out a couple others I've listed, and am still playing my '76 Bach Strad 43 trumpet and my '94 Bach Strad 184G cornet. They are still the best I've found, and both are "nice and shiny"....
    Olde Towne Brass
    www.otbrass.com

Brass Band of Huntsville
    www.brassbandofhuntsville.com

Bach ML 43 Bb Trumpet
    Bach L 184G Bb Short Cornet
    Bach ML 239 C Trumpet
    Besson Chicago Bore Bb Cornet
    Besson Nouveau Etoile C/Bb/A Cornet
    Conn 5A Bb Short Cornet
    Conn 6B Bb Trumpet
    Conn 9A Bb Short Cornet
    Conn 22B Bb Trumpet
    Conn 22B Bb/A Trumpet
    Conn 76A Bb Short Cornet
    Kanstul Bb Field Trumpet
    Lehnert SARV Bb Cornet
    Olds A11E Eb/D Trumpet
    Olds L12 Bb Flugelhorn

Don't forget pre-war French Besson, Chicago Benge, early Calicchios.

New Friend

Talking Re: what is the holy grail of vintage cornet, trumpet or flugelhorn collecting?

Holy Grail trumpets????????

vintage Martin Committee L bore
    vintage Martin Committee Handcraft

Getzen Model 91 Deluxe Sterling bell (not the Super Deluxe)
    Getzen Model 81 Deluxe cornet sterling bell (not the Super Deluxe)
    (very few made from 1948 to 1952)(the only 2 missing to complete my collection)
    Getzen copper belled Severinsen (hey wait, Ive got one)

Conn 12b Special

Olds Super Recording

Chicago Benge

A good playing Strad

Quote Originally Posted by rolling360 View Post
    Holy Grail trumpets????????

vintage Martin Committee L bore
    vintage Martin Committee Handcraft

Getzen Model 91 Deluxe Sterling bell (not the Super Deluxe)
    Getzen Model 81 Deluxe cornet sterling bell (not the Super Deluxe)
    (very few made from 1948 to 1952)(the only 2 missing to complete my collection)
    Getzen copper belled Severinsen (hey wait, Ive got one)

Conn 12b Special

Olds Super Recording
    Olds French model (only made 2 years 1930-1931, major players)

Chicago Benge

A good playing Strad
    Added one
    (Above/left) Alexanders ragtime band-circa 1960

Chalmers Big and Tall midwest sales district credit card division

I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know.
    Mark Twain
    "Strive to have enemies that define you"

Mezzo Forte User

The holy grail of cornets (playability wise) might be the wedgwood, but its not a vintage instrument.

Otherwise some of the early narrow bore instruments like my 1887 one made by a local maker:

Picasa Web Albums - Gordon - Instruments

These older instruments have less presence and less dynamic range than modern ones but are much easier to play.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information