Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss York Cornet and Trumpet in the Equipment forums; After noticing a York Airflow trumpet on Ebay a couple of weeks ago (which went way above the contents of ...
    Fortissimo User

York Cornet and Trumpet

After noticing a York Airflow trumpet on Ebay a couple of weeks ago (which went way above the contents of my piggy bank), I found a couple of York instruments that were more in my price range.
    The cornet is a York 75 and has the engraved YORK name perpenducular to the bell axis (no city name is shown). It is serial number 63249. It was pretty much a basketcase with stuck valves and slides and tarnish. I cleaned it up and freed up the valves and found it was a decent player. It is actually quite pretty when cleaned up. It has nickel outer slide pipes which give it a nice highlight and the valves were in good condition after unsticking them so it looks like a keeper (maybe). The problem was that someone had previously tried to free the main slide and in so doing had completely mangled the crook and had broken the braces that hold the leadpipe on and had bent the leadpipe so the two outer slide pipes are not parallel. I took it to one repair shop and they said the work to fix it was way more than the cornet is worth. I think if I could find a replacement main tuning slide, the rest of the repairs I could do myself.

Does anybody (Oldlou?) know of a source for salvage parts for this?

The other one is a trumpet which has construction that looks very similar to the cornet so I assume it is a companion model. However, the YORK name is parallel to the bell axis and there is no model number or city name shown. It also has nickel slide pipes and underslung water keys and those features, along with the construction of the valve guides and pistons are VERY similar to LA model Olds Ambassadors. It was badly tarnished (looked like it was left out in the weather for years) but also cleaned up nicely and is a good player. The serial number is 652491 so it is much higher than the cornet number even though they appear to be similar vintage.

I have gone to the horn-u-copia site and read the history of York and looked at the models there. There is a York 75 cornet that is only a few serial numbers from mine. The posts with it seem to address several models so I could not sort them out but one mentions a Blessing Artist cornet. Does that mean this is just a stencil made by Blessing? Also, the photos of trumpets are all much older than mine so I can't tell if any of the history there relates to this trumpet.

York 75 Cornet:

York Trumpet:
    Last edited by ComeBackKid; 02-12-2010 at 05:04 PM.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Re: York Cornet and Trumpet

Are you sure that trumpet serial is right? Very much higher than the last York's of production in 1971. I does look much like my Artist model I recently got, but don't recall the serial now , but was supposed to be from mid 50's. Had York, looking like Yark, arcross the bell, then Artist,then some engraving. My computer is getting repaired so have to use the library one, but will check on my serial number. You didn't enter the serial for the cornet.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    ???? Elkhart Band Instrument Cornet (ELK)
    www.KalamazooconcertBand.org
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    www.PSCB.Soull.com
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

Fortissimo User

I verified again that the trumpet serial number is correct. The cornet serial number is in the original post - it is 63249. Here is some additional information.

Cornet: I compared is side-by-side with my Blessing Standard cornet. The main similarity is that they are both "long bell" models - in fact they are exactly the same length (barely an inch shorter than a trumpet). Also, the valve pistons/guides/springs are very similar (but the Blessing and the York pistons are not the same diameter). That is pretty much the end of the similarities. They are not the same bore, do not have the same wrap, the water keys are different, the ferrules and braces are different. So, if it was made by Blessing, it is not a copy of a blessing.

BTW, cancel the request for a tuning slide. I took it to Anaheim Band Instruments and had them repair it and they actually made a completely new slide crook for it - and fixed all of the other issues so it is now in great shape and is also a very good player.

Trumpet: I cleaned and polished it and it now looks gorgeous and plays wonderfully. The valves have perfect compression and very light, quick action. It is a very nice, quality-built trumpet. The more I look at it, the more similarities I see to Olds trumpets. But, the York bore is larger than the Olds and the bell is slightly smaller so it has a more focused, projected sound. I think the York is made to be a lead trumpet. It keeps its focus throughout the range of both pitch and volume. I think of it as an Ambassador on steroids and is starting to emerge in my mind as an excellent player. So, I am still curious if whoever built it tried to copy the Olds or if some of the parts actually came from Olds.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Glad you got the slide fixed. My York Artist's serial is in the 250xxx range which corresponds to the serial lists for the middle 50's. I has the playing characteristics of yours, also and is a good playing horn. OLDLOU looked at it and used to have a couple and pointed out the bell flare as being conducive to a lead horn. I don't know of any connection to Olds horns.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    ???? Elkhart Band Instrument Cornet (ELK)
    www.KalamazooconcertBand.org
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    www.PSCB.Soull.com
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

Thread Information