Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss York Cornets Which One?? in the Equipment forums; I have been looking to get a York shepherd's crook cornet and have been seeing and reading about several types, ...

York Cornets Which One??

I have been looking to get a York shepherd's crook cornet and have been seeing and reading about several types, like the "Professional", "Couturier Wizard", "Perfec-Tone", "Monarch", and "New Monarch", ect. ect.. I have heard good things about the "Professional" and was wondering about the "Perfec-Tone". I was wondering what people's opinion of what cornet would be the best and why to help me with my selection. The reason why is our director would like to add some cornets to our trumpet line to achieve the original sound of how certain music pieces should sound. We play and I am looking for something like to achieve the sounds of the Sousa and K. L. King time period. I am a fan of York equipment that is why I am limiting my search to York shepherd's crook cornets. What do you think?
    ReynoldsC

TRUMPETS & CORNETS
    CONN
    1891 "Wonder" Worcester Cornet
    YORK
    1909 "Professional" Cornet, A/Bb Slide

1920 "Model 65" Trumpet, A/Bb Rot. Valve
    1932 Eb Trumpet (3/4 size)
    1938 "AirFlow" Cornet (Silver Plated)(OldLou's)
    1938 "AirFlow" Trumpet
    1939 "AirFlow" Cornet

1947 "Feather Touch Master" Trumpet
    1948 "Feather Touch Master" Long Cornet

The Jackson Muny Band
    http://www.jacksonmunicipalband.org/

QUOTE: "Even a blind hog can find an acorn every once in a while".

Forte User

Re: York Cornets Which One??

I have several York SC cornets. All of them are good, but my favorite is the York Airflow, closely followed by the York Perfec-tone.

OLDLOU>>
    Couturier trumpet
    York Wizard by Couturier cornet
    York Master Model trumpet
    York Elite trumpet
    York Airflow cornet
    Conn Concert Grand Cornet
    King Liberty trumpet
    Reynolds Professional cornet
    Bohm & Meinl professional trumpet
    Conn New World Symphony trumpet
    Olds Special cornet Los Angeles
    B&H Sovereign cornet
    G.R.Band Instr. cornet
    Getzen Super Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Getzen Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Many others no room to list

New Friend

I have a York Perfectone, and it plays very well for a 100 year old horn. It has an interesting and unique wrap, and several cool details that make it aesthetically pleasing. It will take a modern mouthpiece, though I think it sounds best on a vintage MP. I can't tell you where it fits in in the York line-up, but in my limited experience it seems on par with the better instruments of that era.

Pianissimo User

I have a Perfectone as well as a Monarch and the Perfectone is far and away superior. I've seen good things said about the Professional as well but have never played one myself. That said, however, I actually prefer my Besson (London) Prototype to both my Yorks by a fairly wide margin. After all, if you want the classic cornet sound, who does it better than the British? If you want to stick with York I don't think you'll be dissapointed by the Perfectone but you might want to keep an open mind if you find a good condition Besson as well.

I have two different York and Sons cornets and they are both nice, but for different things. I don't have a Perfectone or Monarch so I don't know about those. My favorite depending on which day it is and what I'm doing, is a key convertible model that I don't know the name of. It is sort of what would be called a telescoping cornet because the lead pipe does some fancy switches before entering the valves. It can be C (modern pitch starts at C#), B, Bb, A. It comes with some alternate slides and the valve slides have marks for extending them for different keys. It plays well in all keys.

I also have a Professional. I have heard it said that these are similar to Boston 3 star cornets because York once worked for Boston Musical Instruments. I also have an Odell and Thompson that is very similar in plumbing to the Professional. The Professional is great in the upper registers and oddly, both of my Yorks sound better to my ear with an A E Mathey mouthpiece that should be a better match on the Odell & Thompson. I have several York & Sons mouthpieces, some better than others. The horns have fairly generous receivers size wise.

These definitely have the distinctive "early cornet" sound. Extremely well built instruments, IMO. They are heavy compared to similar era Conn Wonder cornets. Not that this is a bad thing, Conn Wonders are very light.

If it was me, I'd say get the first one that comes along in good condition, regardless of the model. It's not like there is a bad one.

Quote Originally Posted by Silversorcerer View Post
    ...I also have a Professional. I have heard it said that these are similar to Boston 3 star cornets because York once worked for Boston Musical Instruments. I also have an Odell and Thompson that is very similar in plumbing to the Professional. The Professional is great in the upper registers... and oddly, both of my Yorks sound better to my ear with an A E Mathey mouthpiece that should be a better match on the Odell & Thompson. I have several York & Sons mouthpieces, some better than others. The horns have fairly generous receivers size wise…

I have made my choice of the two York shepherd's crook cornets and it was the York "Professional"

I limited my choices to the York "Perfec-Tone" shepherd's crook cornet and the York "Professional" shepherd's crook cornet from what information I gathered. I purchased and rebuilt both horns and then played them side by side. I found out the similar things as did Silversorcerer. The York "Professional" is great in the upper registers and also in the mid registers. It just opens right up with a bright and powerful sound. The York "Perfec-Tone" was better in the lower registers and like its name was easier with intonation, but was stuffy in the upper registers. Both horns are good but are better for different purposes in my opinion. Since I play first part, the York "Professional" servers me better.
    Last edited by ReynoldsC; 09-17-2011 at 05:20 PM.
    ReynoldsC

TRUMPETS & CORNETS
    CONN
    YORK

1938 "AirFlow" Trumpet
    1939 "AirFlow" Cornet

The Jackson Muny Band

Pianissimo User

That is one gorgeous horn! I just purchased a PerfecTone (1915) and cannot wait to play it. The engraving is fantastic - is it similar on the perfectone but limited to the bell?

Quote Originally Posted by ReynoldsC View Post

I have made my choice of the two York shepherd's crook cornets and it was the York "Professional"

I limited my choices to the York "Perfec-Tone" shepherd's crook cornet and the York "Professional" shepherd's crook cornet from what information I gathered. I purchased and rebuilt both horns and then played them side by side. I found out the similar things as did Silversorcerer. The York "Professional" is great in the upper registers and also in the mid registers. It just opens right up with a bright and powerful sound. The York "Perfec-Tone" was better in the lower registers and like its name was easier with intonation, but was stuffy in the upper registers. Both horns are good but are better for different purposes in my opinion. Since I play first part, the York "Professional" servers me better.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkdog View Post
    That is one gorgeous horn! I just purchased a PerfecTone (1915) and cannot wait to play it. The engraving is fantastic - is it similar on the perfectone but limited to the bell?
    Thanks for the comment, and I believe you will like the York Perfec-Tone. What I found out was "just like its name" it slotted better and was easier to play with the intonation. I really like the York line of horns and if you ever get a chance to buy a York Airflow cornet or trumpet you will not be disappointed (read the comment by Oldlou and other threads on those horns). I was "VERY VERY VERY" lucky to be able to get both for reasonable prices, and have loved playing them. They are the best horns I have ever played. Both slot very well (the cornet a little better), are so easy to play with perfect intonation and I now have a 3 1/2 octave range. For me the Giradinelle mouthpieces work well with the trumpet and the Bach and old Blessing mouthpieces work well with the cornet. When I play them, I feel like they are a part of me and the horns know what to do without me. Here is a picture of them restored.

If you want to see more of them, just go to my albums.
    ReynoldsC

TRUMPETS & CORNETS
    CONN
    YORK

1938 "AirFlow" Trumpet
    1939 "AirFlow" Cornet

The Jackson Muny Band

Pianissimo User

Yes I just picked up a PerfecTone and it is a different sound. Plays very nice and is unique.
    The difference between youth and old age is that, in youth one struggles to play the right notes while, as an adult, one works to play the notes right.

Thread Information