Wise Talk! Discuss Bernstein Feast in the Artists in Residence forums; I'm playing tonight and for the next 3 nights in a Bernstein tribute. The first half is 'Trouble in Tahiti'. ...
    Mezzo Forte User

Bernstein Feast

I'm playing tonight and for the next 3 nights in a Bernstein tribute.

The first half is 'Trouble in Tahiti'. I hated it when I first heard it but after a couple of rehearsals with the full crew it's starting to grow on me. Typically tough key changes and time signatures but a bit of fun. Have you ever played it Wilmer?

The second half is excerpts from 'West Side Story'...all the good stuff. That original recording that you played on is still the model. Got that 'sound' firmly implanted in my head.

Thanks and regards,

Trevor
    Last edited by camelbrass; 01-31-2007 at 01:16 AM.

Artitst in Residence
    Fortissimo User

Re: Bernstein Feast

I've played a lot of Lenny's music. "Trouble in Tahiti" is one of my favorites. The music from "On the Waterfront" has a special place in my heart. It's the only piece I know of that the composer tells you to obliterate the orchestra I loved playing that work with Lenny. Get the New York Philharmonic recording, Vacchiano is HOT!
    Wilmer
    Be sure Brain is engaged before putting Mouthpiece in gear.
    S.Suark 1951

Mezzo Forte User

Wilmer,

I'll look out for that recording.

This is my first real experience with playing his music. His arranging is extraordinary and without a doubt challenging but do you think he overdid it with mutes? It seems that just when I'm getting used to hearing myself properly I have to play a long muted passage although in 'Trouble' he does give you the odd 'let rip'..the end of secene one comes to mind!!

Regards,

Trevor

Pianissimo User

Mr. Wise,
    Did you ever happen to play the Prelude, Riffs, and Fugue, or know anything special about it? We have a concert coming up here in Iowa with Richard Stoltzman in a couple weeks, and it's a ball to put together. Playing lead on it is the simple part compared to the fifth trumpet part--there are some nasty licks for harmon below middle C. Ouch! And the piano part is no laughing matter either. Great stuff.

Hi Wilmer,

Check out these young guys playing with Leonard Berstein. Video is 15 min if you're going to watch the whole thing so get comfortable!

Video Leonard Bernstein - Journey into Jazz - Leonard, Bernstein, NY, Philharmonic, Schuller - Dailymotion Share Your Videos
    dow30
    Courage doesn't always roar, sometimes it's that little voice at the end of the day that says. "I'll try again tomorrow."

Artitst in Residence
    Fortissimo User

That's Eric Dolphy sitting next to Don, not Benny Golson. They didn't show the NYP trumpets
    Wilmer
    Be sure Brain is engaged before putting Mouthpiece in gear.
    S.Suark 1951

Mezzo Forte User

Quote Originally Posted by dow30 View Post
    Hi Wilmer,

Check out these young guys playing with Leonard Berstein. Video is 15 min if you're going to watch the whole thing so get comfortable!

Video Leonard Bernstein - Journey into Jazz - Leonard, Bernstein, NY, Philharmonic, Schuller - Dailymotion Share Your Videos
    Thanks Dow !
    That's a beautiful clip for promoting jazz and explaining the discipline
    required for jazz and classical.
    It's unfortunate that the great jazz ambassador and sage (Nat Hentoff) who wrote the narrative wasn't included in the clip.
    "Clark Terry - C.T.,as his friends call him,is not only a master of the trumpet and flugelhorn,but a master musician and a leader to the manor born." - Dan Morgenstern.

Quote Originally Posted by dow30 View Post
    Hi Wilmer,

Awesome, thanks!!! Nice clips of Gunther. It's a shame he doesn't conduct as much anymore.

-Jimi

Thread Information