Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wise Talk! Discuss Dizzy Gillespie 1947 Big Band in the Artists in Residence forums; Johnny Lynch is a name most trumpet players have little knowledge of. Johnny was the lead player on most of ...
    Artitst in Residence
    Fortissimo User

Dizzy Gillespie 1947 Big Band

Johnny Lynch is a name most trumpet players have little knowledge of. Johnny was the lead player on most of Diz landmark big band stuff from the forties.
    Johnny Lynch band in Atlantic City was my first professional job.
    Here is John with Dizzy, John is the second trumpet player in the trumpet row, Dave Burns is sitting to his left. I don't recognize the guys on the first or fourth chair.
    Milt Jackson is playing vibes in the band, and I think Hen Gates is on piano
    Here they are playing, "She Beeped When She Should Have Bopped."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtG5m7P56vk

Wilmer
    Be sure Brain is engaged before putting Mouthpiece in gear.
    S.Suark 1951

Piano User
    do you know any of the rest?

This tune is on a tv show that I taped 20 yeas ago. i gotta find that tape and learn how to dgitize it. There is plenty other great stuff. I wonder where the youtube poster got it? It's the show where there's tap dancing to be-bop.

Artitst in Residence
    Fortissimo User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Freedman
    do you know any of the rest?
    I did a bit of research on the '47 band and came up with this. The rhythm section was Bags, John Lewis, Kenny Clarke and Ray Brown. They were the first version of the MJQ!
    Cecil Payne was there in the sax section as was a very young James Moody playing alto. I think I recognized "Big Nick" Nicolas. He didn't have as much hair when I met him in '57, and he had put on a few pounds I think Sam Hurt was in the bone section. I know those trumpet players.......CRS!

Here is a radio show about the band- Diz is wonderful.
    http://lightning.state.sd.us:8080/ra...ht/bbsfr196.rm

Wilmer
    S.Suark 1951

Mezzo Forte User

Re: Dizzy Gillespie 1947 Big Band

[quote="wiseone2"]Johnny Lynch is a name most trumpet players have little knowledge of. Johnny was the lead player on most of Diz landmark big band stuff from the forties.
    Johnny Lynch band in Atlantic City was my first professional job.
    Here is John with Dizzy, John is the second trumpet player in the trumpet row, Dave Burns is sitting to his left. I don't recognize the guys on the first or fourth chair.
    Milt Jackson is playing vibes in the band, and I think Hen Gates is on piano
    Here they are playing, "She Beeped When She Should Have Bopped."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtG5m7P56vk

Thanks O Wise One.
    I was just two in 1947,the year Dizzy brought Chano Pozo into the Band and Cubana Be-Cubana Bop had me jumpin' and hollerin' all over Flatbush.
    The guy in the first or fourth chair could be Ray Orr.
    For the period in question (1947) Dizzy's band also had cats like Benny Bailey,Matthew McKay,Willie Cook,Elmon Wright,Cecil Payne sitting off of Milt's left shoulder.

Oop-Bop-Sh'-Bam
    "Clark Terry - C.T.,as his friends call him,is not only a master of the trumpet and flugelhorn,but a master musician and a leader to the manor born." - Dan Morgenstern.

Mezzo Forte User
    Here is a radio show about the band- Diz is wonderful.
    http://lightning.state.sd.us:8080/ra...ht/bbsfr196.rm

Listening to that clip reminds me of the 50's when I was overseas with my parents and listening to Jazz on Armed Service Radio.

What will this world be without music ?

A sincere thanks to all you music makers,my LIFE continues to be enriched
    by music.

Live well and don't let the bastards get you down.
    "Clark Terry - C.T.,as his friends call him,is not only a master of the trumpet and flugelhorn,but a master musician and a leader to the manor born." - Dan Morgenstern.

PH
    Mezzo Piano User
    Last edited by PH; 05-22-2007 at 11:29 AM.

Pianissimo User
    hey guys,

check out www.jazzicons.com - there is a Dizzy DVD coming out as part of this new DVD series featuriing Diz with Ray Brown, Sonny Stitt, etc in Belgium in '58 and Diz with the Kenny Clarke-Francy Boland Big Band in Denmark in 1970 - I have an advance copy of this and it is simply amazing.

Ciao,
    Spitty
    Spitty
    Bach 43* ML
    Bach 1 1/4 C

Mezzo Forte User
    I think I have just purchased the DVD that these youtube bits come from. On the Storyville label, #16035. Two sessions, with Salt Peanuts, Be Baba Leba, Oop Bop She Bam, Convulsion, Shaw'Nuff and I waited for you on one, Night in Tunisia, Crazy About a Man (Helen Humes on vocals), One Bass Hit, Dynamo A, Ornithology, He Beeped When He Should Have Bopped, Grosveor's Square, Things to Come, Ray's Idea and Bag's Boogie on the other. Listed as from 1946 or 1947. There are a couple three duets with Dan Burley and Johnny Taylor duo interspersed. What a great Freaking band! No one-NO ONE-ever came close in jazz to what Dizzy did, he's the ne plus ultra, ultima thule, baddest man ever.

Michael McLaughlin

How can I die? I'm booked.
    George Burns
    Morelia MM

Artitst in Residence
    Fortissimo User
    No one-NO ONE-ever came close in jazz to what Dizzy did, he's the ne plus ultra, ultima thule, baddest man ever.
    Michael McLaughlin

I concur. Dizzy was the most amazing player. His harmonic invention was unsurpassed. His trumpet abilities were light years beyond what was being done in the early 40s. His compositions are still staples of the jazz repertoire. He took care of business on and off the bandstand.......and he was one of the funniest persons on the planet.
    Wilmer
    Last edited by wiseone2; 09-12-2006 at 10:35 PM.
    S.Suark 1951

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information