Wise Talk! Discuss Jimmy Owens @ Trumpet Friday in the Artists in Residence forums; It was Jimmy's night. He was given a Lifetime Achievement Award by the NY Brass Conference. Jimmy has worked tirelessly ...
    Artitst in Residence
    Fortissimo User

Jimmy Owens @ Trumpet Friday

It was Jimmy's night. He was given a Lifetime Achievement Award by the NY Brass Conference. Jimmy has worked tirelessly on the behalf of Jazz Musicians, old and young. Recognition was long overdue. Check out the Jazz Foundation's site- THE JAZZ FOUNDATION OF AMERICA

Jimmy played with his working group, Jimmy Owens......Plus. They are a fine example of jazz ensemble playing. They listened to each other and responded in a way that only comes from working together for years. There were moments of sheer magic.

Rob Crocker led the Awards part of the evening. Dr. Billy Taylor spoke of his relationship with Jimmy, and told stories about the David Frost band he led. Jimmy Owens was an important member of that band.
    I was honored to speak about my long relationship with Jimmy. We played all sorts of music together, from Josephine Baker to The Symphony of the New World. Jimmy did it all.

Jimmy is now teaching at The New School. He has already produced some of the outstanding new kids on the block.

It was an honor to be part of Trumpet Friday.

Wilmer
    Be sure Brain is engaged before putting Mouthpiece in gear.
    S.Suark 1951

Re: Jimmy Owens @ Trumpet Friday

Thanks Wilmer for that great post.....GADS! GIVE MY BEST TO JIMMY from this old fan of his here in the NW. Ol' Shultzie from Gig harbor wa.
    May the holidaze bless you and our Jimmy O and all the rest of my NYC city friends..

Mezzo Forte User

Re: Jimmy Owens @ Trumpet Friday

Quote Originally Posted by wiseone2 View Post
    It was Jimmy's night. He was given a Lifetime Achievement Award by the NY Brass Conference. Jimmy has worked tirelessly on the behalf of Jazz Musicians, old and young. Recognition was long overdue. Check out the Jazz Foundation's site- THE JAZZ FOUNDATION OF AMERICA

Jimmy played with his working group, Jimmy Owens......Plus. They are a fine example of jazz ensemble playing. They listened to each other and responded in a way that only comes from working together for years. There were moments of sheer magic.

Rob Crocker led the Awards part of the evening. Dr. Billy Taylor spoke of his relationship with Jimmy, and told stories about the David Frost band he led. Jimmy Owens was an important member of that band.
    I was honored to speak about my long relationship with Jimmy. We played all sorts of music together, from Josephine Baker to The Symphony of the New World. Jimmy did it all.

Jimmy is now teaching at The New School. He has already produced some of the outstanding new kids on the block.

It was an honor to be part of Trumpet Friday.

Wilmer

Congratulations to JO !
    His "You had better listen" 1967 Quintet (Atlantic Release) with Kenny Barron is now available at oldies.com

“Heights by great men reached and kept were not obtained by sudden flight but, while their companions slept, they were toiling upward in the night.” ...

Keep on keeping on !
    KJ in the 'Burgh
    "Clark Terry - C.T.,as his friends call him,is not only a master of the trumpet and flugelhorn,but a master musician and a leader to the manor born." - Dan Morgenstern.

Thread Information