Wise Talk! Discuss Who was Oliver Beener? in the Artists in Residence forums; Dear Mr. Wise / Forum members, I originally posted this thread in the Jazz forum but didn't get more than ...
    New Friend

Who was Oliver Beener?

Dear Mr. Wise / Forum members,

I originally posted this thread in the Jazz forum but didn't get more than one response ( most likely due to the title of the thread, which I was unable to edit for some reason).

Years ago, when I was hanging out with some of the old-time jazz veterans, someone brought up the name of trumpeter Oliver Beener. Everyone present hailed him as one of the unsung heroes of jazz. They said he used to hang out and play with Clifford.

I googled him and only found a few records he plays on, but only as a section member (with Ray Charles).

Any information on Mr.Beener and his recorded legacy (as a soloist) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel

Mezzo Forte User

Re: Who was Oliver Beener?

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyGoldberg View Post
    Dear Mr. Wise / Forum members,

I originally posted this thread in the Jazz forum but didn't get more than one response ( most likely due to the title of the thread, which I was unable to edit for some reason).

Years ago, when I was hanging out with some of the old-time jazz veterans, someone brought up the name of trumpeter Oliver Beener. Everyone present hailed him as one of the unsung heroes of jazz. They said he used to hang out and play with Clifford.

I googled him and only found a few records he plays on, but only as a section member (with Ray Charles).

Any information on Mr.Beener and his recorded legacy (as a soloist) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel

If your question goes un-answered on this board,may I suggest you contact Mr.Rufus Reid,bassist and frequent visitor to Pittsburgh,Pa.
    I may be wrong but I'm quite sure I heard the name Oliver B. from Mr.Reid

Good luck and pursue your inquiry in learning more about music-makers who are not necessarily household names.

KJ in the 'Burgh
    "Clark Terry - C.T.,as his friends call him,is not only a master of the trumpet and flugelhorn,but a master musician and a leader to the manor born." - Dan Morgenstern.

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyGoldberg View Post
    unsung heroes of jazz.
    What's that mean?

New Friend

Thanks Joe!

D.

Mezzo Forte User

Originally Posted by IzzyGoldberg >>>>unsung heroes of jazz. <<<<<<<

What's that mean?

I'm quite sure Izzy meant a non-household name.
    Post 1963 and outside NYC,I doubt most people heard of Doc Cheatham until he appeared with Nicholas Payton during the mid 1990's.

I salute Nicholas for exposing Mr.Cheatham to the masses.

Long live Bop and the Boppers !
    KJ
    "Clark Terry - C.T.,as his friends call him,is not only a master of the trumpet and flugelhorn,but a master musician and a leader to the manor born." - Dan Morgenstern.

Artitst in Residence
    Fortissimo User

allmusic.com is a great place for this kind of research. Oliver played in fast company. He was quite the player. Check him out!
    Wilmer
    Be sure Brain is engaged before putting Mouthpiece in gear.
    S.Suark 1951

New Friend

Thank you Mr. Wise !

Hi,
    I learned about Oliver Beener reading an interview with Bob Brookmeyer. Oliver Beener was going to be the successor of trumpeter Jon Eardly in the Gerry Mulligan band. His name was spelled as "Oliver Beaner" in the interview. Brookmeyer said he was very good and characterized his playing as somewhere between Chet Baker and Miles Davis. He seems to have been with Mulligan for something like two weeks or so.

Thread Information