EC Downloading Discuss Mouthpiece advice after long layoff in the Artists in Residence forums; Hi, I'm new to the site. I was a serious college trumpet player back in the 80's, but I ended ...
    New Friend

Mouthpiece advice after long layoff

Hi,
    I'm new to the site. I was a serious college trumpet player back in the 80's, but I ended up in a different career and stopped playing some 20 years ago. I have decided that I would like to start playing again and have made time to practice. I fell into bad habits and was playing a shallow mouthpiece, Schilke 13 A4a, and would like to start over this time and develop more of a full concert sound. I have a standard 7c which is fairly comfortable, but I would like to work into a larger cup like a Schilke 15 or something along the lines of a Bach 3c. My question is whether I should work on basic embrouchure first with the 7c or fight the Schilke 15. I can play fairly well on the 7c but the 15 is very limited right now. I am up to about 30 minutes of long tones and basic lip flexibility with some scales and basic melodies. I am focusing on tone and attack right now and basic physical strength. any suggestions would be welcome.

Artist in Residence
    Forte User

Re: Mouthpiece advice after long layoff

hrg,

Welcome back to the ranks.

At this point, if it feels comfortable use it. Mouthpieces are very personal interfaces between a player and his/her horn. That said, please (please) don't accept any mouthpiece advice over the internet from somebody who doesn't know your playing. If you're serious about coming back, leave the fine tuning to a face-to-face consultation.

Best and good luck,
    EC

Forte User

You can not go wrong with what Ed has told you.

New Friend

Thanks all. I am looking forward to getting some embrouchure strength back so I can play with better tone quality and endurance. I am looking forward to all of it so thanks again.

Pianissimo User

Wow! I thought I was reading my own bio. I too was a very good player 20 years ago, laid it down and am now comming back. I also played a 13A4 and am moving bigger. But not as big as you. Just to reiterate. Welcome to the site. It's great. And again find yourself a good teacher. Good luck.

Mac
    '74 Silver Bach 180 37 Bell
    '58 Conn Director Coprion
    Dillon Rose Brass Bell Flugelhorn

"There are no wrong notes. Just poor choices." Miles Davis

New Friend

I am amazed after a 20+ year layoff that when I went back and actually read what Arban, Clarke and others wrote in their books how much sense they make and what a structured, disciplined approach to playing can lead to. I really look forward to practicing in a way I never did when I was 18. thanks again.

Benge 3X
    Bach 7c (for now, will move to something larger when I can physically handle it)

Thread Information