Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
Introductions and Greetings Discuss 3..4..go! in the The Green Room - Non Trumpet Related Topics! forums; Greetings All! Very much a part-time musician these days, but there was a time.... Way back in ..ooo.. 1966/7-ish it ...

3..4..go!

Greetings All!

Very much a part-time musician these days, but there was a time....

Way back in ..ooo.. 1966/7-ish it must have been, a small, dapper bloke with a moustache visited our village primary school and asked if any of us little people wanted to learn how to play the trumpet. Fortunately for me at least, he was none other than Graham Walker, soon to become principal cornet with Yorkshire Imps and one of the leading figures of the British Brass Band scene of the '70's.

Nine years later I was again under his tuition as 1st trumpet with the North Yorkshire Schools Symphony Orchestra. When I and trumpet lead Laurence Killian, complained that some practise piece he'd produced was 'unplayable flute music', he borrowed my instrument, and from cold played our part up a fifth, double-speed first forwards, and then backwards. "Do you still reckon it's unplayable, Lads?".

I'd been playing semi-pro for a while but this dose of reality helped steer me towards a career in engineering!

Anyway that's enough of me for now.

All the best,
    Seth

PS, the strange Title is courtesy of my old maths teacher (Miss) Pat Teasdale, legendary trombonist and conductor of our school Brass Band
    Last edited by Sethoflagos; 08-09-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    Bb Trumpets: Yamaha YTR-6335HSII - Flip Oakes "Wild Thing" - 1972 Getzen Eterna "Severinsen" - 1980 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign Studio
    Bb Bass: 1961 Holton #58 "Symphony"

Wyrd oft nereš unfågne eorl, žonne his ellen dėah.

Re: 3..4..go!

Welcome... Nice story... and good choice of day gig. I too chose a separate day gig, much to the dismay of my Dad that wanted me to be a trumpet player. But many many years later, I can finally say, I have become a better trumpet player than what I do in my day gig... so in 4 years, when I get full STRS retirement benefits as a University Professor, I am back to playing trumpet full time. Talk about coming full circle. My Dad would he have been alive today, would have been proud of me.
    barliman2001 likes this.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

My kids don't listen much to their father either. Probably for the better!
    Bb Trumpets: Yamaha YTR-6335HSII - Flip Oakes "Wild Thing" - 1972 Getzen Eterna "Severinsen" - 1980 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign Studio

Forte User

Hi Seth, welcome trumpet madhouse where the trumpatics run the assymetricylum (guess what mouthpiece I use on trumpet)
    Andrew Sapcote

Conn Victor Cornet
    Weltklang Rotary Trumpet
    DEG Signiture Cornet Silver Plate
    B and S Sonora Trumpet
    Besson Brevete Flugel Horn
    BM Champion Trumpet
    Mayflower D/Eb Trumpet
    Saving up for a Flugel.

One of mine?

Where in God's county are you from, Andy? I'm originally Askham Bryan and usually get back there for Xmas

Forte User

Holme on Spalding Moor and until last year played with RI, Went to St. John's Played cornet in St Aiden's Acomb as a Kid. Used to go for lunch in the Pub in either Askham Bryan or Askham Richard can't remember which (I'd ask em but you'll have heard that one a few times) Ever come across Clive Marshall? stalwart of all thing Brass and Opera in York (I sang with York Opera too they grew out of the COG's.) My Uncle sang with a goup on "The Barge" folk club
    Andrew Sapcote

Conn Victor Cornet
    Weltklang Rotary Trumpet
    B and S Sonora Trumpet
    BM Champion Trumpet
    Mayflower D/Eb Trumpet
    Saving up for a Flugel.

Forte User

Okay just read your other post does the name Jane Stokoe (flugel horn) or Elaine and Alison Hockley ring any bells they are my mother's cousins and were all RI players but perhaps just after your time (I'll Brag front row for me)
    Andrew Sapcote

Conn Victor Cornet
    Weltklang Rotary Trumpet
    B and S Sonora Trumpet
    BM Champion Trumpet
    Mayflower D/Eb Trumpet
    Saving up for a Flugel.

To be honest, I never really got into the Brass Band world. I did a lot of pit orchestra work in York in the seventies, but moved West and didn't play much until joining West Yorkshire Fire Service Band where I played lead until work took me away in the early '90s. Been in Nigeria since 1999.

Forte User

I sort of love and loathe the Brass Band World. Love the sound and the music to a point but the contesting and the playing to no audience at a festival a function or a fete drives me insane. At the moment I'm playing largely for myself and Teaching beginers to roughly grade 5 students. The kids I teach work with me to play in a small group as well but with 5 trumpets/cornets the sound is a little thin amd my own tutor is pusking me into Jazz, Big Band and Classical solo work which I enjoy much more than drudging another BB gig.
    Andrew Sapcote

Conn Victor Cornet
    Weltklang Rotary Trumpet
    B and S Sonora Trumpet
    BM Champion Trumpet
    Mayflower D/Eb Trumpet
    Saving up for a Flugel.

We had a gig - Doncaster Miner's Gala I think - around 1990-ish. We were on straight after Grimethorpe CB. They were at their best and finished with an absolutely spell-binding performance of Prelude to Act 3 Lohengrin. 2 minutes later I was sat front left treating the audience to -yes, you guessed it - Girl from Ipanema. Soon followed by Medley of Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Sad thing was, I think we got the louder applause.
    barliman2001 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information