Introductions and Greetings Discuss hello from Houston TX in the The Green Room - Non Trumpet Related Topics! forums; Thought I would say hello. I was very much into trumpet playing in high school and my early 20s. When ...
    New Friend

hello from Houston TX

Thought I would say hello. I was very much into trumpet playing in high school and my early 20s. When my G.Leblanc 707 was stolen in the early 90's, I got out of playing. My daughter is playing, and I decided I would resume as well. I have a beat to death old Coronet that was my first horn, and is nearly unplayable, and a Calicchio r3/9 that I bought not to long ago because the price was right, it sounded really nice, and it felt good to play. My daughter has a Yamaha student model of recent vintage that is soon to be returned to the rental fleet. My son also played, but not any longer. (His horn has gone "missing")

I actually found this sight trying to research some vintage horns. When I started playing again not to long ago, I was shocked at how it came back to me, and the way it felt to be playing again. I remember my instructors old Besson that he would not let anyone touch, and the Olds Ambassador that I got to play during a jazz ensemble one time with fondness, so I am on a mission to own them as well.

So hello to everyone.

Forte User

Re: hello from Houston TX

Very welcome to TM, kozmic27!

There are A LOT of comebackers in here.
    In fact, this is the largest group.

Yes, that feeling of once again play that thing!
    Such a lovely feeling!

We have a Vintage Horn forum, but of course, you
    have seen that already . . .

Forte User

Very welcome to TM, kozmic27!

There are A LOT of comebackers in here.
    In fact, this is the largest group.

Yes, that feeling of once again playing that thing!
    Such a lovely feeling!

We have a Vintage Horn forum, but of course, you
    have seen that already . . .

Fortissimo User

Welcome Kozmic27!

I am one of the aforementioned comeback players. My very first cornet back in 1955 was an Olds Ambassador. I gave it to my brother when I bought my Selmer Invicta in 1963. I had not seen it since. I did not play for 30 years and did not think about my old corrnet until I decided to start again about 4 months ago. I remembered my Olds and called my brother. He does not play any more and did not remember where it was. I called other siblings and finally my sister said that it had been handed to her son and had been stolen from him at school years ago but they had been able to recover it. She dug it out of the attic and, what do you know, it played great with just a lilttle cleaning and oil. I decided to add to my collection and now have 11 Olds horns along with some others that you see listed. I live just a couple of miles from where the Fullerton plant used to be. So, you can hardly go wrong if you decide to pick up one (but, remember, they are like potato chips - nobody can buy just one).

Good luck on your return.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

New Friend

I just bought an Olds Ambassador off ebay for $144 that I hope will be playable. I have my fingers crossed. I should have it by early next week.

Thread Information