Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Introductions and Greetings Discuss Hi from Montana in the The Green Room - Non Trumpet Related Topics! forums; Hey everyone, Just thought I would introduce myself and hopefully get some discussion on different types of trumpets and what ...
    New Friend

Hi from Montana

Hey everyone,
    Just thought I would introduce myself and hopefully get some discussion on different types of trumpets and what to look for when buying my first one.

I am 24 years old. I play guitar and used to play clarinet in highschool. I also sing in a band and would like to take up the trumpet so that I could eventually play it in my band.

I have never even attempted to play the trumpet but always enjoyed the sound. I am trying to find a used trumpet as we speak and hopefully can find a good deal on a decent one soon so that I can get started.

Any advice for a complete newbie is very much appreciated.

Kadin

Re: Hi from Montana

Welcome Kadin.

What is your price range for the trumpet you're looking to purchase?

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpetMD View Post
    Welcome Kadin.

What is your price range for the trumpet you're looking to purchase?
    Hi,
    Well, i don't think I want to spend much more than $250... hopefully I can find something used that is decent for that price.

Look on Craig's list for local, that way you can check the horn out before you buy.
    (Above/left) Alexanders ragtime band-circa 1960

Chalmers Big and Tall midwest sales district credit card division

“ I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know. ”
    — Mark Twain
    "Strive to have enemies that define you"

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by A.N.A. Mendez View Post
    Look on Craig's list for local, that way you can check the horn out before you buy.
    That is a good suggestion. I wish I were in a bigger town so I had more options....

Looks like there are three in my area that have been posted recently. Not sure if any are worth contacting them.

A Yamaha that I like the looks of although slightly more money then I wanted to spend: Yamaha Silver Trumpet

Another Yamaha that is a bit cheaper but doesn't have much detail about it:
    Yamaha Silver Trumpet

and a Jupiter that is cheap but has a "bend in the bell" and worn a bit... also does not come with a mouthpiece... not sure if that is a big issue or not: Yamaha Silver Trumpet

Forte User

Very welcome to TM, AcrylicAce!

Cool that you play and sing in a band!
    You obviously have multiple skills.

One warning though; in a band the members
    have GREAT volume advantages over the
    trumpeter. Guitars and bases are electrified,
    drums are strong enough without this help,
    saxophones have reeds instead of lips etc.

The risk in playing trumpet with these other
    instruments is that you tend to overblow,
    making your lips fatigue in only few minutes!
    I suggest that you play VERY carefully in
    your band, preferably into an mike/amplifier.

I have never even attempted to play the trumpet but always enjoyed the sound.

You΄re right; there is NOTHING better!

GOOD LUCK!

New Friend

Thanks for the advice.

I guess I just had one other question. I would like to start learning on my own without taking lessons. Is there any good DVDs/books/online sites you could recommend for me to get started? Is this a bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by AcrylicAce View Post
    A Yamaha that I like the looks of although slightly more money then I wanted to spend
    Others can correct me if I'm wrong. But I think a starting point for a used horn in good condition would be about half of the usual retail price (not the list price). If it has dents or needs work, then it's worth less than this. You estimate the retail price online at www.dillonmusic.com or www.wwbw.com.

Quote Originally Posted by AcrylicAce View Post
    I guess I just had one other question. I would like to start learning on my own without taking lessons. Is there any good DVDs/books/online sites you could recommend for me to get started? Is this a bad idea?
    I suppose you could learn on your own. But it also seems like that would make it easier to develop bad habits. Maybe it would be better to start with a teacher, and then continue on your own later (assuming you don't want to take lessons or can't afford lessons). Also, if you started out with a teacher, that person might be able to help you find a decent trumpet in your price range.

While Guitars, keyboards drums etc can be a DIY endevor the trumpet is not. Not if you want to get good enough to play in your band in a reasonable amount of time. because the lips make the sound on a trumpet , it is very easy to start with bad habits. These bad habits will not show themselves for months down the road. A good teacher who works with adult biginners will ensure your success. Do you have a web cam?

Stay away from the imports from china and india. I would look for a student horn. Getzen, Bach, Yamaha, Olds, Holton, Conn, Blessing, Besson are some good choices. For mouthpieces Stork 5C, 4C, Schilke/Yamaha 11C4, 12, 13 and Bach around a 7C, 6C, 5C sizes. Not too big or small. get a good 1st year band book for trumpet and don't skip anything. Slow and steady.
    Last edited by Bob Grier; 06-24-2009 at 03:53 PM.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons
    www.bobgriermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Grier View Post
    While Guitars, keyboards drums etc can be a DIY endevor the trumpet is not. Not if you want to get good enough to play in your band in a reasonable amount of time. because the lips make the sound on a trumpet , it is very easy to start with bad habits. These bad habits will not show themselves for months down the road. A good teacher who works with adult biginners will ensure your success. Do you have a web cam?

Stay away from the imports from china and india. I would look for a student horn. Getzen, Bach, Yamaha, Olds, Holton, Conn, Blessing, Besson are some good choices. For mouthpieces Stork 5C, 4C, Schilke/Yamaha 11C4, 12, 13 and Bach around a 7C, 6C, 5C sizes. Not too big or small. get a good 1st year band book for trumpet and don't skip anything. Slow and steady.

Good advice.
    (Above/left) Alexanders ragtime band-circa 1960

Chalmers Big and Tall midwest sales district credit card division

“ I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know. ”
    — Mark Twain
    "Strive to have enemies that define you"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information