Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Kadleck's Corner Discuss Gypsy in the Artists in Residence forums; I was fortunate enough to see "Gypsy" today (Saturday matinee, March 22,2008). Tony was the lead trumpet and he sounded ...
    New Friend

Gypsy

I was fortunate enough to see "Gypsy" today (Saturday matinee, March 22,2008). Tony was the lead trumpet and he sounded great! The band is on the stage for this production. It's a large orchestra (by Broadway standards) - 4 violins, 2 violas, 2 cellos, 1 bass, 5 woodwinds, 3 trumpets (Tony, Kamau Adilifu, James Delagarza), 3 trombones, 1 French Horn, harp, keyboards, drums and percussion. The orchestra is featured in the overture, and, right off the bat, Tony stands up and plays a high note solo. I guess that there's no coming to the theatre late and warming up at the last minute for this one - you have to be ready to go right from the downbeat LOL. There was some real nice playing throughout the show. But then, in the climatic song, "Rose's Turn", there was some very high playing right at the end. Maybe Tony will chime in and let us know exactly how high that number goes. And then, during the exit music (after the show is over, everyone has taken their bows, and the audience is leaving the theatre), Tony gets to play that high note solo again that he played in the overture. It reminds me of what Jimmy Maxwell used to say about playing shows - "There are long stretches of utter boredom, interrupted by moments of sheer terror!"

Tony, if you remember, please tell Kamau Adilifu that Tom Barreca says hello. I studied improv with him back in 1980, when he was still called Charles Sullivan. I don't know if he'll remember me, I only studied with him for about 6 months, and then he got so busy that he didn't have time to teach anymore.

Tom
    Last edited by tomba51; 03-23-2008 at 08:05 AM.

Re: Gypsy

James Delagarza is also a very fine trumpet player. I went to Indiana University with him in the 90's.

Great section. I would love to come check out that show.
    Justin J. Smith

When people believe in boundaries, they become part of them.......Don Cherry

Artitst in Residence
    Fortissimo User

How many of you guys know of the trumpet player, Dick Perry?
    He's that guy that played that solo in the original show. His credits include Mame, Funny Girl, Hello Dolly, 42nd Street and an amazing career under Broadway.
    Dick played in the Tonight Show band.
    Dick Perry was also one funny man.........they don't make them like that anymore.
    Wilmer
    Be sure Brain is engaged before putting Mouthpiece in gear.
    S.Suark 1951

Artist in Residence
    Mezzo Forte User

Thanks Tom. It is a fun show to play and I couldn't have asked for a better trumpet section than James and Kamau.( I will give Kamau your regards.)

Gypsy goes up to high F-G range, but only a few times during the show. It's very well orchestrated (Sid Ramin) and I'm trying to do my best imitation of Dick Perry 8 times a week!

Tony

New Friend

If you want to hear a great example of Dick Perry's playing, get the original Broadcast album of "Funny Girl". Check out the song "Cornet Man". There's some awesome playing by Perry on that cut. Make sure that you get the Broadway cast version of "Funny Girl", not the movie soundtrack because that song was cut from the movie version. You can pick up a used version on Amazon for under $5.

Tom
    Last edited by tomba51; 03-25-2008 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Spelling

Artist in Residence
    Mezzo Forte User

Tom -

Thanks for the tip!

Tony

P.S. Kamau remembers you as a very nice guy with great chops!

I thought Kamau retired
    Yamaha 8310Z
    Dillon Flugelhorn
    Getzen 850 Cornet
    Yamaha Picc
    Yamaha Xeno C 8445
    Bach Corp. 3C, Curry 3F, Curry 3DC. (cornet), Stork 5P

New Friend

Tony,

Please thank Kamau for the nice words about me, and thanks also to you for relaying the message.

Tom

New Friend

Tony ...

I heard the show while visiting a trumpet friend in NY, Dave Rodgers .. Dave also was playing a long running show at the time ( the name escapes me now ) and Chris Jaudes was playing the principal chair at that time in Gypsy He actually took the opening solo up a octave and that night nailed it. His sound really filled the thearter.

I sure a solo like that up an octave is somewhat of a pitfall if you are having a bad night. Once you start playing it that way, I imagine you have to always play it that way.

I do think Chris Jaudes is one of the finest players on the pro trumpet circles in NY.

Artist in Residence
    Mezzo Forte User

Hi Elemge -

Welcome to Trumpermaster.

Yes, Chris is an extremely talented trumpet player who is quite busy in town. I never got the chance to hear him play Gypsy.

Another pitfall of playing something 8va (besides having to do it every night, even when you are not at 100%) is that when you take off your sub has to do it the same way. Most conductors want to hear the same exact thing each night. THat can really trim down your sub list quickly!

Please say hi to Dave Rogers for me.

Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information