Kadleck's Corner Discuss Large vs. Small Mouthpieces in the Artists in Residence forums; Tony, Just curious as to how (why) some players play on relatively larger mouthpieces such as John Chudoba, Craig Johnson ...
    Pianissimo User

Large vs. Small Mouthpieces

Tony,

Just curious as to how (why) some players play on relatively larger mouthpieces such as John Chudoba, Craig Johnson and yourself ... versus other trumpet players who can play on very small mouthpieces (and horns) such as Roger Ingram, Brian MacDonald and Jon Faddis? Are you guys using more air and the other groups using a larger apeture?

Maynard went from a relatively small Jet tone to a large Monette piece ... advantages of small versus large etc?

Your thoughts?

Russell Dixon
    Yamaha YTR 8340EM Model Professional Bb Trumpet
    Yamaha 631G Professional Model Flugelhorn
    http://www.TrumpetPlayersDirectory.com - (launched July 2012)

Re: Large vs. Small Mouthpieces

I think it's probably just what the player is most comfortable with. Also, part of it might be the music style they play. Jon Faddis usually spends his time in the EXTREME upper register. His mouthpiece is designed to "help" play way up there (like he needs any help). Small rim diameter, really shallow cup....same things go for large mouthpiece players.

I personally use larger mouthpieces for a few reasons. I played euphonium and french horn along with trumpet in high school and I really got used to larger (rim and cup) mouthpieces. Also, I tend to stay in the "lower" register when I'm playing. I don't usually venture above a high C (unless it's called for). They also help compliment my playing style. I usually play ballads, church music and other lyrical type settings, and big v-cups help give me a nice warm, dark tone.

Well, that's my 2 cents...
    ​Kody
    1922 Conn 84A Victor
    1929 Stroud Baby Grand Piano
    1950's Hammond M3 Organ
    (Many others that come and go)

Having played everything from a Marcinkiewicz Bobby Shew 1.5 to a Back 1 B, my prefferences currently lie in a more mid range mouthpiece (about a 2 B size with a v cup). It allows me to play lead (nothing too extreme) and still get a rich solo sound on classical and jazz.

Few players I have heard and played with have been able to achieve a large (not loud but big) sound on smaller mouthpieces. They are very specialized to focus the air stream and in turn focus the suond.

What it really boils down to of course is the player finding the combination of equipment and philosophy that works best with how and what they want to play.

Artist in Residence
    Mezzo Forte User

Hey Russell -

Actually, I consider my lead mouthpiece to be fairly small - moderately shallow and a 5ish rim. Craig's mouthpiece is very shallow (and around a 10 1/2 rim), and John's is a bit deeper than mine (maybe a 3 rim?).

It all depends on what you have to do. I'd play a larger mouthpiece if I could, but it wouldn't have the brightness needed to cut. My horn is kind of dark too, so I need a small piece to create some edge.

Again, everyone is different - chops, horns, teeth, etc..

Thanks,
    Tony

I play a large mpc (asymmetric 3C+) which is an odd shape 3C for practical explanation -- I would play the shallow Asymmetric (Lead 342), but I just didn't like the sound I could get out of it. So I spend all my time on the Deeper/bigger 3C -- and that is what I like, so I keep that setup.

Pianissimo User

I am playing a Warburton at the moment but find myself longing for that huge throat on a Monette (18 drill). Folks can say what they want; however, in my experience of 40 years no other mouthpiece can match the tone quality of a Monette mouthpiece. Probably going back to the (LT) Prana BL 2S3 as that piece fits me perfectly in terms of tone and range etc.

Russell Dixon

Pianissimo User

The blessed Easter Bunny brought me a nice pack of premium cigars; a huge solid chocolate bunny; a small plastic football filled with jelly beans and a Monette Prana BL2 S3 in an STC-1 blank. I love you Easter Bunny! I love this mouthpiece and it is a marriage made in Heaven along with my Yamaha YTR 8340EM Trumpet.

Having used many different pieces over the past 40 years ... I much prefer the Monette Prana pieces; although, my Warburton piece is really fun also.

Russell Dixon

Quote Originally Posted by RustoleusMaximus View Post
    I love you Easter Bunny! I love this mouthpiece and it is a marriage made in Heaven along with my Yamaha YTR 8340EM Trumpet.
    OK, my advice then is, the next step would be to marry the Easter Bunny if not already.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

Thread Information