Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Chosen Vale Blog Discuss Thoughts from Chosen Vale '08 in the EC Downloading forums; My, oh, my... where do I begin? I can't begin to describe what the past two weeks have meant in ...

Thoughts from Chosen Vale '08

My, oh, my...
    where do I begin?

I can't begin to describe what the past two weeks have meant in my life as a performer, educator, and creative artist. I feel like I've grown more in the past two weeks than I have in 10 years since my undergrad degree. Mostly I've grown in my overall conception of who I am as an artist and what I offer. I'm looking forward to writing much more in depth about what I experienced but would love to hear from everyone else (and yes, I'm posting this to the cv gang). Perhaps we'll get a few to come over and post their thoughts as well.

Ed... like to start off the conversation?

Best,

T

PS: Ed, you're my absolute hero and once again have changed my life in such a positive way!

PPS: Any way we can get this to show up in the "recent posts" box on the front page?
    Last edited by TrentAustin; 06-29-2008 at 09:03 PM.

New Friend

Re: Thoughts from Chosen Vale '08

Chosen Vale is absolutely brilliant! The knowledge passed down to me as well as my own personal growth as a musician has made this the best two weeks of the year! I truly treasured my time at CV this year and hope to come back for future seminars!

Symphony Man

Yo SM,

Send me an email and we'll hook up some skype time to talk about chops. Sorry I didn't get to it before I left!

-T

Are there any more videos, sound clips, pictures? Sounds live it was a great time!

MJ
    Administrator Fortissimo User MJ's Avatar

Should be working now Trent

Quote Originally Posted by TrentAustin View Post
    PPS: Any way we can get this to show up in the "recent posts" box on the front page?

Artist in Residence
    Forte User

TMers,

Two days have passed since Chosen Vale closed and it's still on my mind, both day and, unfortunately, night. The seminar couldn't have gone better and having my son Chris (who played great and fit right in) on the course only made it better for me.

I fully expected the contributions received by each faculty member as we've been together for a few years now: Gabriele Cassone has few, if any, peers as a trumpeter (effortless from double pedal C to double high C), and his nat playing, as well as interpretation of Sequenza X and other modern pieces, is legendary. Markus Stockhausen radiates music and his improvisations, as well as interpretation of his father's music (more soon about this re Chosen Vale), approach a spiritual standard that is hard to describe. Mark Gould is another pure musician and teacher who challenges music (and life) with every breath he takes. Steve Burns lives music and trumpet on the highest international level and provides inspiration and clarity in both. Tom Stevens is a link between our creative past and present and demands critical thought and musical standards, not just solid trumpet playing. I'm honored that he will be covering me at CalArts while I'm on sabbatical in the fall (note to my students from there who read this: engage your mind before you take your first breath for him and keep it engaged!). Having a composer of David Rosenboom's stature with us is a constant reminder to be in touch with our creative selves.

What made these two weeks memorable for me was the standard of the class. Everyone played and contributed marvelously, which should come as little surprise when you peruse the roster of those who attended. I doubt if any of them would mind me singling out Katie Miller, Trent Austin, Huw Dann, Andre Dubelsten, Philippe Brunet, and Rachel Kincaid. Each performed at an international standard that was rare and exciting to hear. Trust me when I say that Hardenberger and Aubier would have been dazzled by Katie's Desenclos.

As in previous years, many new and/or unusual pieces were presented and provided welcomed ear candy to counter-balance the Arutunians of our repertoire.

Still tingling,
    EC
    Last edited by ecarroll; 07-01-2008 at 02:18 PM.

I must say this year was a great one. I have learned more in my four weeks at CV (this year and last) than I can imagine I would learn anywhere else. The people were great and I miss them all already. There was not a single performer that was not up to the challenge of this seminar. Meeting people like Trent (in person) and all the others was absolutely life changing. The new music was incredible and listening to Markus improvise (especially with Trent) was truly inspiring. I hate to say it Ed, but it looks like I'll be back next year... I just can't stay away

Annie

P.S. there's a fun video of Trent playing Michael Haydn on youtube. check it out.
    Annie Lemieux
    2006 ITG youth competition WINNER

Piano User

It was another great year at Chosen Vale. The level of playing across the board this year was unbelievable and it was very inspiring to see a faculty of that caliber so impressed with the students.

One of the many great things about Chosen Vale this year was the presentation of several student commissions.

Annie impressively brought a piece written for her by a very talented twelve-year-old composer. Jeremy Maitland and his composer friend from Eastman also presented a piece, and Chris Kallmyer from CalArts performed a piece by one of his friends. I saw a couple performances of one of Rachel Kincaid's pieces (one by Rachel herself and another by her friend).

There is also a long list of other interesting pieces that were presented.

There are several things I feel make Chosen Vale different from other music camps. There are no high note competitions, no excerpt blasting, no rivalries. Everyone is respected for the unique contribution that we all invariably bring to the table and Chosen Vale is the only place I have been where these are recognized and acknowledged.

I left this year with so many ideas and so much inspiration that it's hard to know where to begin.

-Matthew

New Friend

How to begin-I would avoid being like everyone else by omitting the obligatory "most brilliant, exciting, mind-expanding, and fun two weeks of my life" except it's impossible not to. First and foremost a huge thank you to Ed above all for the enormous amount of time, effort, and dedication he's put towards this project-I think that's something we can all agree on.

I'm having trouble finding thoughts to put forth about the faculty when many of them seem to have already been covered-but at least an equal value has to be attributed to the presence and interaction with other students, be they 17 or 30+ and beyond. The sheer amount of music for trumpet I had never encountered before that was presented to me, often in brilliant fashion, was staggering, and right there is the crux of the importance of the event in many ways for me-developing and expanding the repertoire, world, and life of the solo trumpeter. We don't have Beethoven Sonatas and Brahms Concertos and Mozart Serenades-hence the importance to step up and create the repertoire, and, just as important, perform the repertoire; send it into the ears of the top students and teachers on the continent (in the world) and then back to their respective schools and communities to do the same.

In this way, I had the feeling over these two weeks that this corner of time in the world is the kind of thing looked back upon as being of great importance for years to come-if not by the entire music community, at the very least the trumpet community, and even more so by those who have been lucky enough to be a part of this experience.

I look forward in so many ways to returning next year, to keep on grinding those gears of history.

And PS: Ed, I know you only kept me off your list up there because you're still bitter that I called you out for telling me to stop at the double barlines in Markus' masterclass. Seriously, how many times do I have to apologize?

Artist in Residence
    Forte User

Annie, Matthew, and Scott,

Thanks for wonderful posts. I come away from these seminars changed myself. It reflects in my teaching (hopefully) and musical energy.

Scott -- you're doing it again (SHHH!). No need to apologise, my friend.

Cheers,
    EC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information