Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By tobylou8
  • 1 Post By diddleeday
  • 1 Post By BigDub
Bb Trumpets Discuss Getzen Eterna Doc Severinsen Model w/ 1st Valve Trigger 1970's in the TM Classifieds forums; Howdy everyone, this is my first post here. I played trumpet as a kid, but it has been a long ...
    New Friend

Getzen Eterna Doc Severinsen Model w/ 1st Valve Trigger 1970's

Howdy everyone, this is my first post here. I played trumpet as a kid, but it has been a long time so please forgive my ignorance when it comes to specifics and vintage horns.

Awhile back I acquired this unique '70s era silver Getzen Severinsen trumpet, and I am now thinking about selling it. From looking on Ebay and on forums such as this, I think I have a rough idea of what these horns can go for. This horn has obviously had some interesting personalizations/modifications done, however, and I'm not sure how they will affect the value. If anyone has an opinion or more info on these mods I would be interested in hearing them. I've never seen a trumpet with a shockmount before...

Here's a link to more pictures:

https://imageshack.com/a/KYMM/1

Overall it is in very good condition for its age. There's one shallow ding on the bottom of the elbow that I couldn't get to show in the pictures, and another more prominent ding on the bell tube that you can see in the photos. The bell is in excellent condition, finish wise and I can't see any dings. There are a few small wear spots in the finish along the lead pipe. The main tuning slide and the second valve slide feel a bit stuck, and I didn't want to yank on them very hard. The 1st and 3rd valve slides are moving very easily, as are the valves. The brace with the interesting inlaid wood oval appears to have been moved back towards the mouthpiece from the tuning slide. The S brace near the bell has been removed, and a shockmount ring with 4 rubber feet has been soldered onto the side of the 3rd valve. The 1st valve slide sports a small turquoise colored sphere. The valve caps have pretty inlays with mother of pearl suns inside some green (not sure what material) rays-- though the very thin mother of pearl veneer on the second valve has about a 1/3rd worn off revealing what looks like wood underneath. You can't feel any difference at the finger tip though.

I'm not sure if the case is original. It does have locking latches and it has the keys. Comes with a Vincent Bach 10.5 C mouthpiece.

I would be really happy to get $600 for it, though I am open to offers/suggestions as to the price. $30 shipping in the CONUS only. Please send me a PM if interested (hopefully new members can utilize these right away..). Thanks!!

Re: Getzen Eterna Doc Severinsen Model w/ 1st Valve Trigger 1970's

That is an interesting horn with a shock mount ring! Maybe the engineers hear will chime in as to it's effectiveness. I understand it purpose for microphones, but on a trumpet... , it's not like Severinsen's aren't bright anyway? That, and the Bach-ish 3rd slide stop and the inlaid tuning slide brace (moved back) would make me personally hesitant. How has it changed the playing characteristics? It could be great, or not. The case is not original. It's a different horn for sure and it would be cool to play it. BTW,

Vulgano Brother likes this.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Well, the photobucket won't open now and no one has chimed in. One post wonder???

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

New Friend

Wow, yeah it seems Photobucket has kicked the bucket. Thanks for your replies and letting me know. Here is a new link to a new album, and I'll edit the link in the original post as well.

https://imageshack.com/a/KYMM/1
    tobylou8 likes this.

[QUOTE=diddleeday;870835]Wow, yeah it seems Photobucket has kicked the bucket. Thanks for your replies and letting me know. Here is a new link to a new album, and I'll edit the link in the original post as well.

https://imageshack.com/a/KYMM/1[/QUOTE

Seems I've lost my ability to capture the image on Photobucket as well. Small consolation that it is, at least I hear others are having even worse problems. As far as the shock ring there at the valves and base of the bell, I at first thought it was a removable bell that had some sort of clamp to hold it in place. I believe I was mistaken, Tobylou. Shockingly, this is not the first time this has happened!
    My take on all those add ons and gizmos is, they don't add on to the value, but rather are a detriment and so would lower the going price.
    I paid $750 for a Getzen Eterna 900, 1980 model just after Doc went with Conn,was it?
    It still had all the specs Doc wanted, though. I bought it 4 years ago, and it is still in almost new condition. In fact people can't believe it's a 1980 (36 yr old ) horn. I can't either and have no intentions of needing. Another Bb trumpet for another 35 years.....
    tobylou8 likes this.
    BigDub
    pixels.com/profiles/waynemathisenstudio

comments welcome!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wayne-R-Mathisen/1592745394281517
    my avatar is my painting PM for more info
    Gmonady's editor in chief

Apparently, the shock ring is there to lend support but not have as much of a dampening effect on the bell. I just happened to test drive a LB Severinsen yesterday. The guy that is thinking of buying it wants to take off the front brace to liven up the sound. I've read here of several members doing similar with other horns, Dale Proctor's big band Ambassador comes to mind first. Also now of a guy who took the front brace off his Strad 37! It was very lively. The bubbling up of the plating is disturbing to me. Severinsens did have issues with pitting and red rot if not properly maintained in the leadpipe. I would check the lead pipe or have a tech do it. It could be simple plating wear. Getzens were not known for having thick plating and again, if not maintained... .

The leadpipe has red rot. Sorry to say, I am sure of it. The modifications also hurt the value. In my opinion this will be a pretty tough horn to sell. If I were buying it, I would want it st a price where I could replace the leadpipe, remove your mods and have my total investment be at or less the market value of a similar horn in similar condition. Sorry, the mods are great if you like them, but they get the value.
    Bach strad 180s ML 37 melk 525, mk sterling semi round slide
    Curry 60m
    blessing anniversary flugel curry 3fl
    www.AlsMusicShopNY.com
    Al's Music Shop
    Specializing in unique and hard to find instruments.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/TrumpetsForSale/

I just noticed this horn on ebay. Current bid $369.00. Much more than I thought it would bring.
    Horn.. What horn? I play piano

Thread Information